Whistle-blowing army NCO to face desertion charge

webfact

Whistle-blowing army NCO to face desertion charge

E5602F51-7672-4EE3-BA0E-4805B6592BEB.jpe

Army Sergeant Narongchai Intharakavee, aka “Moo Arm”, who exposed alleged corruption in the Army Ordnance Department, is due to appear before judge advocate officers on Monday, to face a desertion charge for failing to report to work for more than 15 consecutive days.

“I want to see the hearts of those who cherish righteousness, justice and equal human rights and the hearts of those who refuse to bow to oppression,” said Sergeant Narongchai in his Facebook post on Sunday.

He said he would request bail, if he is indicted by the judge advocate officers for desertion, which carries a maximum sentence of seven years.

Source: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/whistle-blowing-army-nco-to-face-desertion-charge/

thaipbs.jpg
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

He failed to show for 15 days. Anyone would consider that cause for concern ..... 

Did you read the full article?

he was reportedly intimidated, forcing him to miss work for more than 15 days.  He was eventually dismissed from the service for desertion, which is regarded as a gross breach of discipline.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Paiman said:

The opposition Kao Klai party, and human rights groups, have intervened to help the embattled sergeant.  

I wish him best of luck and hope he stays healthy. Thailand needs more of this kind.

If some of these groups get involved, he could stand a chance...... LET"S HOPE.......

And YES.... Thailand needs MANY MORE of his type...... He is much better than the soldier in Korat that killed many in a similar case....

8 hours ago, webfact said:

“I want to see the hearts of those who cherish righteousness, justice and equal human rights and the hearts of those who refuse to bow to oppression,” said Sergeant Narongchai in his Facebook post on Sunday.

People's hero and walking target now

• Like 1

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

A very brave man, daring to stand up and expose corruption in the army.

Sadly he will be dealt with harshly, because this is Thailand a country where corruption is the norm.

He will get no support what so ever, from the NACC.

There are about 20-25 NACCs around the world....... I had to google to find the NACC 9Thailand) and after finding it i see that they are supposed to investigate/stop corruption in government and important people (such as Army)...... THEY SHOULD BE DOING WHAT THIS GUY IS TRYING TO DO.......

Now I understand your comment and fully agree......

Much pity for this guy and anyone else trying to 'clean up' the 'scourge' within this military regime....... Pity the THAI common folks....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

He failed to show for 15 days. Anyone would consider that cause for concern ..... 

I totally disagree with you but I still won't apply a 'SAD' or 'Confused' emoji as you are very well known for doing with all your 'NEGATIVE' emojis......

On 6/22/2020 at 8:58 AM, AhFarangJa said:

Instead of being commended for bringing the matter to light, he was reportedly intimidated, forcing him to miss work for more than 15 days.  He was eventually dismissed from the service for desertion, which is regarded as a gross breach of discipline.

In the real world that would be construed as constructive dismissal. However, we all know what the outcome will be. I just hope the brave man does not "Disappear".

If he respects the law so much then he won't mind doing 7 years if that's  what his sentence carries

• Confused 3
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, mark131v said:

Sometimes I see stuff on here that makes me despair for humanity, then I think maybe they are drunk or stupid or just plain bitter...? 

Maybe they do it to get a rise or maybe their life is so boring any reaction is welcomed. This is a case in point....

You have said allot nothing 

• Sad 1

Read about this over 2 weeks ago on Twitter and its taken that long before reaching the media this is being covered up big style.
He reported corruption to the New Corruption Hotline set up by the Big General setup after the Korat shooting and now he's being punished for it.

13 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

The man exposed corruption that involved his superior officers, for goodness' sake! To now persecute him for "desertion" because he reportedly went AWOL after being subjected to bullying, intimidation and threats from army officers intent on sweeping the corruption case under the carpet is nothing short of disgusting. It also makes you - once again - realize who really holds the reins of power in Thailand.

In a democratic country, the man would've been celebrated as a hero. State investigators would've unraveled the case from the bottom up, identified who exactly is involved and come down on them. Hard. Here in Thailand, it's the other way round. The culprits prosecute the whistle blower. And feel totally in the right about it.  

Are you sure of that?

That the are going after the guy who exposed corruption and went AWOL because of bullying and intimidation from his superior... just... goes to show how failed the Thai militairy is. Thisrupts video is a good summary. Prachatai English also has a good written summary. Sadly the NACC won't help him. The visitors want people to stay quiet.