Passport stupidity

Went to SCB to change my card as it's not accepted at atm's as being too old. ????

Can not do as the passport number doesn't match my old passport from 6 years ago ????????

Don't have the old passport. What am I supposed to do? 

Can they do something to my account? Fortunately I kept my phone number so I can still withdraw using my phone via atm. 

And what about immigration letter?will they require my old passport too which is taken by my government? 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, dabhand said:

Normally you can change the passport number at the branch where you opened the account. I have done that at the Pattaya Sai2 branch of SCB without needing to show my previous passport.

I'd have to travel 300km

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pravda said:

I'd have to travel 300km

When I got a new passport several years ago the local Bangkok Bank branch changed my passport for a account that was opened in another province. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

When I got a new passport several years ago the local Bangkok Bank branch changed my passport for a account that was opened in another province. 

Well, yeah, but you're YOU.  ????

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I've failed 3x to update my passport number with TMB.

Forms, photo copies, signatures, forwarded to head office.

Still end up having to use the last passport number.

Waste of time, but they do give me the new phone app/debit card/bank book while failing to change the number.

Passport change attempts at original branch only for me.

Edited by BritManToo

2 hours ago, Pravda said:

I'd have to travel 300km

either follow their customer unfocused rules and drive 300kms or close your account and open one in another bank, with the added benefit your new branch will be near your home

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Did you also have to redo your signature card?

I was also told I had to go to my home branch to change my passport and redo my signature on file.

29 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

No, it just has to do with how you talk to people. Some can that and others will never learn. The ones that don´t learn have to go 300 km and the ones that learn can do the things where they are.

You DID notice the smile I put at the end of my post? Of COURSE it makes a difference how you talk to people.

Story from my past - I had to make some sort of visa run to Myanmar. It was a long bus ride, then a frightening boat trip up some river that reminded me of Apocalypse Now. Honest to gawd, there were armed guards at the river mouth. When we arrived at the immigration station, one member of our run started making some serious argument to the officials there. The rest of us took one look at each other, took three steps away from this idiot, and looked at our shoes until our individual visas were addressed.

Yes, talk to people with respect, particularly when they hold your future in their hands.

• Like 2

A few years back I had to go to Penang for a retirement visa, money in the bank, unfortunately the day before I flew October 24th, was a national holiday and my branch was closed. However up in the Big C there was a small branch, but they refused to help me with the letter stating my balance as they insisted it had to be from my branch, which was was just downstairs next to the car park.

I wasted a whole week and 60K baht because of SCB's reticence.

7 minutes ago, Toany said:

SCB is an anti Farang bank. 

That's a load of guff. All banks need you to go to the branch you have the account to make changes like passport update or signature updates. The op needs to make the journey or open a new account nearby.

• Like 2

If you have a Thai driving licence, that should have your passport number on it.   Whether it is the number of the current or previous passport should depend on which was issued more recently.

This is not a rant against the staff at the bank. I know this stupid rule comes from "above" ????

My wife showed up for a chat with them and they said they would send the paperwork to original branch where I opened the account and it would probably take about a week. So, it is apparently possible to do this without making a trip if you're super duper polite to them which we were. 

For me it would be very difficult to withdraw the money and open a new account. First of all I don't have a work permit and regardless of what anyone says it is very difficult to open a bank account without one. 

Secondly, my 400k baht seasoning money is there. 

Edited by Pravda
  • Like 2

Slightly off topic but regarding the many dumb rules imposed on banks, question.   Why don't banks have photocopiers by the ATMs ?

When withdrawing cash from a teller, it is necessary to sign a photocopy of your ID card or passport despite CCTV recording you at the cashiers counter.   Yet at an ATM, no such copy is required.   Ah, well, I've gone off of trees and jungles lately.

16 hours ago, Pravda said:

Can not do as the passport number doesn't match my old passport from 6 years ago ????????

you don't have the old letter from your embassy?

immigration did not transfer the old visa to the new passport? first page, you should see the number/ reference

34 minutes ago, Toany said:

SCB is an anti Farang bank.  During the pandemic some branches were banning Farangs.  They enjoy making things difficult for their Farang customers.

I have not noticed, I must say that I am the only farang here , staff always helping with smile ( but I smile myself and I speak Thai )

The OP said that he has not his old passeport, I don't know why, but for me, we should never get rid of the old(s ) passeport(s ) 

• Thanks 2