China rebukes UK for its "gross interference" over Hong Kong

snoop1130

2 hours ago, ncc1701d said:

I agree totally, but it just shows the hypocrisy of butting into hkg. There’s a perfect way to do something and that is to recognise Taiwan as independent. 

What are the repercussions?

I don't know if it's a "perfect way", or what doing "something" stands for. Will it signify making a stand against the PRC? Yes, and there's some value there. How much, in terms of actual benefits? Maybe not so much, or not enough to run the risk of things getting out of hand.

The repercussions can be many and varied, starting from economic punitive measures by the PRC aimed at either Western (and more so, UK and EU countries) or Taiwan itself. Given that the anti-PRC opposition is not well coordinated, far from united, and involves differing interests, the PRC got a certain advantage.

While I doubt anyone is actually interested in a full-blown, or even limited confrontation, it could come to that. Realistically, the PRC can pull a fast one vs. Taiwan and  even get away with it.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Morch said:

I don't know if it's a "perfect way", or what doing "something" stands for. Will it signify making a stand against the PRC? Yes, and there's some value there. How much, in terms of actual benefits? Maybe not so much, or not enough to run the risk of things getting out of hand.

The repercussions can be many and varied, starting from economic punitive measures by the PRC aimed at either Western (and more so, UK and EU countries) or Taiwan itself. Given that the anti-PRC opposition is not well coordinated, far from united, and involves differing interests, the PRC got a certain advantage.

While I doubt anyone is actually interested in a full-blown, or even limited confrontation, it could come to that. Realistically, the PRC can pull a fast one vs. Taiwan and  even get away with it.

Yes - he who dares wins. PRC is being very aggressive in the world, let alone the region. they slowly position themselves over the years to reward nations that don’t deal with Taiwan. 

on the flip side they have a lot of wealthy businessman with interests in Taiwan. But I can see them being even more aggressive in the future. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, grumpy 4680 said:

I had been buying Hornby model rail stuff, and realised long before Covid struck, It is <deleted> made in China, so yes, stop importing.

I know the feeling , bought Thomas the tank set , for my grandson ,  made in China .

All is lost .   Hang our heads in shame ..

Edited by elliss
  • Haha 1

On 7/8/2020 at 5:37 PM, ncc1701d said:

I agree totally, but it just shows the hypocrisy of butting into hkg. There’s a perfect way to do something and that is to recognise Taiwan as independent. 

What are the repercussions?

If one country recognizes Taiwan, the CCP will bully it to reverse the decision, and the country will pay for it.

If many or all countries recognize Taiwan, the CCP will cry but then will swallow the pill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, yuyiinthesky said:

If one country recognizes Taiwan, the CCP will bully it to reverse the decision, and the country will pay for it.

If many or all countries recognize Taiwan, the CCP will cry but then will swallow the pill.

Maybe, but this goes back to the problem - no such unity of purpose or international cooperation. The PRC is well aware of that, and exploits it.