It’s just too risky to allow foreign tourists to visit Thailand, says top Thai doctor

webfact

7 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Yes of course I am now back in Thailand – anyone with half a brain could see what was going to happen (there were enough warnings) and so could get back if they wanted to before the borders shut.

@canopus1969 well surprise surprise as i thought the im alright jack brigade. such selfish people on here,you dont know what peoples circumstances were on why they might have had go back to their home countries or couldnt leave.

Edited by paulikens
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The point is, there's no reason Thailand could not, or should not, use the current circumstance as an opportunity to begin trying to diversify its economy to not be so heavily reliant on mass tourism... and focus on productive things that are good for the Thai people, the country and its economy and environment.

Like it was said before and you most likely didn't understand: how does that help the MILLIONS working in tourism RIGHT NOW?

You want to let them...do what?

1 minute ago, The Barmbeker said:

Like it was said before and you most likely didn't understand: how does that help the MILLIONS working in tourism RIGHT NOW?

He is a army helper ignore. The truth is army don't care and don't like white men..They are jealous 

3 minutes ago, The Barmbeker said:

They will have to find something to do as there will be no tourism for months. 

The government will likely need to support taxpayers by offering bailouts.

Businesses will go to the wall, especially those that were over-leveraged, pay rents and are in debt.

No point even discussing tourism as it isn't going to happen even if the govt. decided to open up the borders, which we now know, going on the panic that the Egyptian soldier and Sudanese diplomats have caused, is not happening for many months to come. 

16 minutes ago, paulikens said:

@canopus1969 well surprise surprise as i thought the im alright jack brigade. such selfish people on here,you dont know what peoples circumstances were on why they might have had go back to their home countries or couldnt leave.

People that chose to leave at the start of this pandemic need to live with that decision now. 

Those that carried on as normal and did not assess the risks of leaving and possibly not being able to return do not get my sympathy. 

Sympathy does however go out to those that had to leave because of family, bereavements etc. where the need outweighed the risks.

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The point is, there's no reason Thailand could not, or should not, use the current circumstance as an opportunity to begin trying to diversify its economy to not be so heavily reliant on mass tourism... and focus on productive things that are good for the Thai people, the country and its economy and environment.

But what?

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, The Barmbeker said:

Short term -- unemployment, financial and other assistance from the government for the unemployed like other countries have been doing -- not 5000b one-time handouts that apparently few people who actually need it can qualify for.

Long term - Plan to restructure the Thai economy to be less reliant on mass tourism, and use the government's resources to promote and accomplish that over time. Meaning better education, job training, and creating productive industries and businesses where Thais can work in real jobs instead of scamming and babysitting foreign tourists.

Hit the nail right on the head!  Being in the category of "fairly vulnerable" due to pre-existing conditions (and being old(ish)), I'm not afraid to admit to being somewhere between being concerned and bricking it on the Covid Richter scale.  There comes a time when faith in human nature, faith in experts in the field and faith in your particular deity take a back seat.  As I have no intention of leaving LoS until I am guaranteed a return, I am all for 100% quarantining of all incoming foreigners (one small breach at U-tapao and all hell will break loose).  I honestly don't care if soapy's, McDonalds, jet ski hire, elephant rides, fake goods shops, over priced shopping malls, tourist bars in town (Pattaya) etc, etc go to the wall and never open again.  Selfish? short sighted? insouciant? don't care.  It seems that for the foreseeable future, it's take care of number one (and no.3 to no.43. up the jungle).        

2 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

People that chose to leave at the start of this pandemic need to live with that decision now. 

Those that carried on as normal and did not assess the risks of leaving and possibly not being able to return do not get my sympathy. 

Sympathy does however go out to those that had to leave because of family, bereavements etc. where the need outweighed the risks.

@Mr Meeseeks exactly my point. i myself had to leave cuz of a family bereavement so had no choice in the matter, so people shouldnt jump to conclusions when some of us had no choice and should show some empathy instead of taking the som nom nah approach. 

Edited by paulikens

Thailand will never open up if they are expecting a covid free world to exist before that but they will come to their senses at some point. Expect it to remain closed for at least six more months. There is no logic that they seem to get so panicky about this while not having a slightest care in the world for all the traffic victims, for example. The rest of the world is trying to live with the situation and opening up within limitations. Thailand thinks it can isolate itself for ever.

• Like 1

Agreed, but traffic casualties will have no bearing on the Authorities actions or health policy perspective.  I must admit, it will be interesting to see what happens at the point when the Government has to go one way or the other.  Tourism a priority at the expense of a riskier covid strategy - or vice versa.  Not too far away IMO.

On 7/13/2020 at 5:39 AM, canopus1969 said:

Agree with him, UK, US, Brazil and India as 

What about the dirty filth they will allowed back in so u think at ok this virus will disappear in europe long before asia thailand have lie about this virus why havent they never published when they had the peak and the fall off every country in the world and a peak and a fall off but Thailand never had maybe at why u.k have give Thailand a red notice

19 hours ago, RachaRob said:

Heard a rumour that a few cases of corona have been found around the Sukhumvit area now.

Not true , malicious gossip, again , boring ....

Edited by elliss

20 hours ago, RachaRob said:

Heard a rumour that a few cases of corona have been found around the Sukhumvit area now.

Not any longer - they're in my doo yen!!

corona.JPG

3 hours ago, Don Chance said:

So the story says "if".  The news source is a little questionable too.

I'm not downplaying your post - if this is true it is huge.  Again, either a vaccine or a viable treatment option must be made available and we can go for herd maybe.  

Interesting, and thanks for sharing.  

23 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I wish you could Teleport back here and not be stuck in a country where there are to many entitled folks with beliefs they only care about and not the good of the people around them.

Amen to that brotha, as it has been quite an eye opener of who we really are, hence my leaving 12 yrs ago

Judge a man not when the times are good but when times are tough....it is a raging dumpster fire here...

I have been working with Doc on the old Delorean to be able to teleport back to the Land of Mama Cups

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

They will have to find something to do as there will be no tourism for months. 

The government will likely need to support taxpayers by offering bailouts.

Businesses will go to the wall, especially those that were over-leveraged, pay rents and are in debt.

No point even discussing tourism as it isn't going to happen even if the govt. decided to open up the borders, which we now know, going on the panic that the Egyptian soldier and Sudanese diplomats have caused, is not happening for many months to come. 

"...find something to do..." as in ...what exactly?

"The government will...need to support..." we have seen how well that worked out before, haven't we!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Short term -- unemployment, financial and other assistance from the government for the unemployed like other countries have been doing -- not 5000b one-time handouts that apparently few people who actually need it can qualify for.

Long term - Plan to restructure the Thai economy to be less reliant on mass tourism, and use the government's resources to promote and accomplish that over time. Meaning better education, job training, and creating productive industries and businesses where Thais can work in real jobs instead of scamming and babysitting foreign tourists.

I get it!

So you believe - you actually believe- the "government" gives two hot poos about the unemployed?

Like they so wonderfully did in the last months, right?!

The didn't give a hoot about the unwashed masses, when times were better!

And now they suddenly care for the unemployed workers, ex- GoGos, massueses...back in Isan!

I really would love to have your rosy outlook on life!

Reform in the tourism industry may be necessary - i could agree on that- but it has to happen, while people are WORKING!

Otherwise, this country will turn into a Chinese province, with all the hotels, bought up by Chinese businessmen!

And that would surely be a change for the better, huh?!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But what productive industries? 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, rabang said:

Thailand will never open up if they are expecting a covid free world to exist before that but they will come to their senses at some point. Expect it to remain closed for at least six more months. There is no logic that they seem to get so panicky about this while not having a slightest care in the world for all the traffic victims, for example. The rest of the world is trying to live with the situation and opening up within limitations. Thailand thinks it can isolate itself for ever.

A bigger problem is that they still dint start to implement the measures needed to accept tourist in the covid era.