It’s just too risky to allow foreign tourists to visit Thailand, says top Thai doctor

webfact

6 hours ago, fred110 said:

FB_IMG_1594607039561.jpg

You forgot that 1.4 million of cases recovered - so there are about 1.7 million active cases (less than one half of 1 percent of the population)

But masks will help - not mandating them is probably the biggest self-inflicted wound of any politician who wants to get reelected in November 2020... his only chance is to get en economic recovery for people (not only investors)

5 hours ago, CLW said:

Ask the good doctor again when he has been robbed or mugged from some unemployed worker of the tourism industry, whose salary has been cut because there were no foreign tourists as customers here.

This is not a civilized country with a functioning social security net from the government.

People are living from the hand to the mouth, taking loans for smartphones and the newest car.

The absence of foreign tourists for another six months will be disastrous for this country.

Sounds a lot like what we will see in the USA, if the economy continues on the current path

Not as reliant on International tourists (in some cities 50% though) - but no social security net and everything is bought with debt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Still have 4 months left until I need to do an extension if I can not get my O-A ME Visa restamped for another year

Sounds like good plan. Especially with 4 months up sleeve. 

What would be fall back plan for guys with less time than you. 

4 months you would think border bounce  not an issue. 2 months I would be very nervous.

37 minutes ago, kno77 said:

Belgium doesn't follow this advice. So no tourists from that list get into Belgium. Germany decided to block all Japanese and Korean tourists because these countries block German tourists. A bit confusing because the list is an advice not a decisive action from all EU member states. 

Well.. unless they re-introduced the border checks they have been running from end of march until half of may, whatever tourists arrive in any of the member states technically could enter Belgium as well via the land borders. A lot of this is politics or so it seems. 

15 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

Six more months of border lock-down will clear out a hell of a lot of businesses. Should be some great bargains on businesses, buildings and land after that. 

I say, go for it. Shake the tree. Let's redistribute the wealth. 

The effect will be the opposite from distributing: SMEs will croak and oligarchs get even richer. Biggest winner will be China, that can buy ( the rest of ) the bankrupt country for pennies.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Sharp said:

Jesus H ....Mortality rate ???????....98% recovery ?????Some dont know of they have it??????? See what happens when you let a medical persons steer world economies !! 

Ebola

TB 

Check oiut those stats so far this year.

Too many people Around the world have been nipping at the Kool Aid and not looking at the numbers. We were told that Covid was a novel cronovirus ... that it had the potential to spread unchecked through the populations globally.  Well, we know now that is not the case.  I do understand Thailand’s reluctance though.  They are far from the 1.0-1.5% expected morbidity level.  Any new outbreak will take its toll as they are starting from a low base.  What bugs me is this joker putting himself forward as well known/expert.  He is a doctor. He pushes pills.  He is not a scientist or a public health expert.  I get the feeling that he is being funded by people who want to keep the fear alive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, CALSinCM said:

Wonder where Khun Doctor gets his salary from?  Not any tourism related businesses.  He also must have a steady income and probably is wealthy.  He might of well have said:
"Let average Thai people eat dirt.  Let's completely destroy the tourism sector and the people whose lives depend on it.  It won't effect me, so I don't care!!! My money keeps rolling in."
Another wealthy Thai devoid of compassion for their fellow citizens whom he looks down on being a high-status somebody.

And I just wonder how crazy you are. He is a doctor. He should not think about economic or tourism. His work is to tell what  is the best for peoples wellness and that he does perfectly well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Miami007 said:

I live in Miami - we have had mandates to wear masks for months now and I have not encountered anyone in a store or shop without it.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/politics/fl-ne-trump-desantis-relationship-20200710-i5xgye3xbbevtfekwzedrngywq-story.html

Masks:

DeSantis cut off alcohol sales at bars to try to slow the spread, but he hasn’t embraced a statewide mask mandate or significantly rolled back the reopening.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott moved more assertively on masks than DeSantis as cases started to spike. Texas was one of the first states to reopen. When cases started rising there, Abbott issued a statewide mask mandate.

DeSantis said he preferred to give local leaders the flexibility to decide whether they wanted to require masks in their communities. South Florida counties opted to mandate masks.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/politics/fl-ne-trump-desantis-relationship-20200710-i5xgye3xbbevtfekwzedrngywq-story.html

Stay at Home:

He [DeSantis] hesitantly issued a stay-at-home order on April 1 after weeks of resisting such a move. He acted only when Trump-nominated surgeon general Dr. Jerome Adams gave the green light by saying the White House’s recommendations amounted to a national stay-at-home order.

Record Deaths:

cases are now surging in Florida, and the epidemic has slowed in New York. Florida announced a record 120 COVID-19 deaths on Thursday, the highest single-day total since the outbreak started. Floridians traveling to New York now must quarantine for 14 days, a reversal from earlier this year.

What it means:

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/07/12/us/12reuters-health-coronavirus-usa.html

If Florida were a country, it would rank fourth in the world for the most new cases in a day behind the United States, Brazil and India, according to a Reuters analysis.

Florida's daily increases in cases have already surpassed the highest daily tally reported by any European country during the height of the pandemic there. It has also broken New York state's record of 12,847 new cases on April 10 when it was the epicenter of the U.S. outbreak.

3 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Only if you are very old or with specific pre-existing medical conditions. 
See https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1172522-it’s-just-too-risky-to-allow-foreign-tourists-to-visit-thailand-says-top-thai-doctor/?do=findComment&comment=15610633

Therefore, only those people should be quarantining, if they choose to do so - and should receive govt-support for lost-income in that case.  With everyone else working and paying taxes, that might be affordable.  If we aren't, everyone goes down.

No, they can choose to quarantine.  No reason to mess up everyone else's world.

Absolutely!!!!! That is how the whole world should be handling it, not shutting everything down...well said! ????

Friend of mine is on the so-called "at risk" list due to his Diabetes. He basically ignored the "You must isolate" letter, simply got on with life, but "socially distanced" until last week, and wore a mask in the supermarket.

Yesterday, we met for a pint in our local pub - he's fine so far and we both take the view that "better dead than putting up with this rowlocks"

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The CV is still spreading and growing around the world.... with the U.S. being the worst but by no means the only country with growing incidence.

From Johns Hopkins July 10 COVID update:

--India reported its highest daily incidence to date, with 26,506 new cases.

--Brazil reported 42,619 new cases, its fifth highest daily incidence to date. 

--Mexico reported 7,280 new cases, its highest daily incidence to date and its first day with more than 7,000 new cases.

--Israel reported its highest and third highest daily incidence to date over the past 2 days

--Overall, the Eastern Mediterranean Region remains a global hotspot, representing 5 of the top 10 countries in terms of per capita incidence: Bahrain (#1), Oman (#2), Qatar (#5), Kuwait (#8), and Israel.

--Australia, Israel, and Japan have reported increasing COVID-19 incidence since early-to-mid June as well as multiple European countries—including Austria, Luxembourg, Iceland, and Serbia.

So, just where exactly does Thailand want to get its foreign tourists from?

What is the obsession with new infections?  The death rate in Spain, highest in the world, was 660 people per million (0.00066 percent).  There are many different estimates of the RIF with a death rate among those infected of 0.5%.  No death is a small thing.  However, even with the jump in Covid infections, death rates will remain low with 75% of those deaths being older folks with preexisting conditions who really do need special protection.  

10 hours ago, steelepulse said:

Cases does not come close to equaling death when the ifr is .04% ( 4 out of 10000 people)  in people under 70 years old as shown in this paper which covered 23 studies with at least 500 people in each study, or if you take the CDC number of .26% (26 out of 10,000 people)

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.13.20101253v2

What's with all the fear and scare mongering and why aren't the real facts, studies and numbers being shown in main stream media?  Why isn't the main stream media breaking down the deaths by those with health risks, co morbidities, obesity prevalence etc., vs those that had a good immune system, exercised regularly, had a good diet etc.

The ones posting pro lockdown rubbish here are obviously hoping to see further economic collapse take place here in Thailand. I'm gonna guess, blue pill brigade. Likely think they'll have more way with the younger talent at the meat markets if finances are in further peril. It's so transparent. 

Edited by Starmocihc
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I am sorry and certainly do not want to be disrespectful but, I taught at a major University in Bangkok for two years and there are very very few Thai professors that I would accept as authorities on ANYTHING. I worked with brilliant people in Thai universities but they in the minority. 

• Like 2

Thailand need to learn from other countries with low infection numbers, and not compare themselves with the US or Brazil.  
In Norway the borders are open for almost all European countries, except Sweden which is a special case.  
From the 15th of July the ferry traffic between Norway and Denmark will be full of Danish, German and Dutch tourists. Life is almost back to normal , but people will still follow the social distancing guidelines. 
So Thailand should not worry too much, they have the virus under control, and should allow visitors from the same European countries. 

11 hours ago, CALSinCM said:

Covid is a death sentence.  Better safe than sorry!!!

This illness is not Ebola. Which has between a 60 to 80% mortality rate!

Thailand has dengue fever which has worse mortality rate than covid 19. I recommend that WHO should ban thai nationals from travelling abroad forever because of this.

Or maybe people stop living in fear because the media tell you to do.

• Like 1

Just ban everything for another 6 months mmm make that 2 years now. That seems to be the solution for everything now. This Thai Dr is the same kind of person that would set his own children on fire if it meant he would make more "Money". Let's be real this corona virus has not really been killing much people outside of the fake news ofcourse.

Edited by InevitableCost
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, CALSinCM said:

Covid is a death sentence.  Better safe than sorry!!!

I don,t know what you have been reading, but I am happy to say that you are WAY off the mark ! Overall percentage of deaths in Thailand comes to 0.00008% ???? Percentage of people who have died here and tested positive comes to a couple of percent. On top of this there appears to be a large number of people who have it and are completely unaware of having it, making it, in my books, about 150 times safer than the risk of dying on Thailand,s roads !

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Is this doctor's name Somchai Fauci? 

If you mean is he related to a distinguished world class published immunologist respected by all his peers then the answer is no.

Sounds to me like someone is drinking the wingnut wurlizer kool-aid.

Edited by shdmn

45 minutes ago, chilli42 said:

What is the obsession with new infections?

The death rate in Spain, highest in the world,

was 660 people per million (0.00066 percent).  //

Uh? Spain death rate is not the worse!

Belgium mainly, and UK have higher death rates...

See by example: Coronavirus (COVID-19) deaths worldwide per one million population

Sri Lanka is planning/hoping to welcome visitors from ALL countries from mid-August.

They seem to have really put some thought into this https://www.sltda.gov.lk/storage/documents/SLTourism-OperationalGuidelines.pdf and while one of the requirements is to have several tests done in-country, these are provided free of charge. Can't see Thailand following suit though.

1.1 Tour booking

1.1.1. A prior booking of the tour package should be done online or via SLTDA registered travel agency.

1.1.2. It is mandatory for all tourists to commit to a minimum stay of five (05) nights in Sri Lanka and book all accommodation only at SLTDA registered and ‘Safe & Secure’ certified establishments; the first night should be booked at an accommodation establishment in close proximity to the arrival airport until results of the on arrival PCR tests are released (Colombo/Negombo areas for arrivals from Bandaranaike/Ratmalana International Airports and Hambantota area for arrivals from Mattala Rajapaksa International Airport).

1.1.3. The accommodation service providers, travel agents and/or tour operators should share accommodation and tour details of tourists with the SLTDA through a data login process.

1.2 Visa procedure

1.2.1. The “Visa Free” status and the issuance of “On Arrival” visas are suspended until further notice.

1.2.2. All tourists entering Sri Lanka are required to obtain online tourist visas before arrival.

1.2.3. An online tourist visa fee of USD 100 will be applicable until further notice.

1.2.4. The following documents are mandatory for processing online tourist visa;

1.2.4.1. A valid travel insurance with health and hospitalization coverage for the entire duration of stay.

1.2.4.2. A valid return air ticket.

1.2.4.3. Travel itinerary and details of confirmed reservations made at SLTDA registered and ‘Safe & Secure’ certified accommodation establishments, with the first night stay at a facility in and around Colombo/ Negombo or Hambantota depending on the arrival airport.

1.3 Airline requirement

1.3.1. Any Airline operating flights to Sri Lanka will check tourists for valid visas and negative PCR test reports before allowing them to board the flight.

1.4 Country health authority requirements

1.4.1. A Negative PCR report issued by an accredited laboratory within 72 hours prior to the landing in Sri Lanka.

1.4.2. All tourists should undergo a PCR test at the arriving airport.

1.4.3. A repeat PCR test to be conducted 5-7 days after the arrival or if the guest develops respiratory symptoms, whichever comes first. 10 www.sltda.gov.lk

1.4.4. For tourists staying longer than 10 days, another PCR test will be carried out between 10-12 days after the arrival in Sri Lanka.

Special notes:

- The necessary PCR tests detailed in 1.4.2 to 1.4.4 will be conducted free of charge.

- If any tourist is tested positive for COVID-19, he/she will be sent to a hospital or a quarantine hotel and will be charged at the rate of USD 100 per night.

- The booked in accommodation establishments/hotels, travel agents or tour operators are responsible for arranging safe transportation of tourists within the country.

- Sri Lanka Tourism has initiated discussions with relevant authorities to consider relaxation of tourist visa conditions to encourage long stays and multiple visits of tourists.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

the Baht is not going to plummet. Western currencies are going to slowly drop in value.  

the Thai economy has contracted about 10% so things are difficult but they will make adjustments like they always do and just have to get by on no more tourism for at least 24 more months.  

keep the borders closed and keep the virus out so the local economy can continue to open up and function. I am not talking about expat bars. 

Good luck Thailand and keep up the good work fighting the virus. 

Could it be you just want to keep others out so you can have all the girls to yourself?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am curious about the accuracy of the test and length of time to get the test results. I think someone earlier stated it was 80% accurate and took two hours to get the results. Economical?
I thought initially quarantine was two weeks because it took up to two weeks to show symptoms. When you combine the test with the quarantine, does it still take up to two weeks for the test to give an accurate result?

If a vaccine is not available, but a reliable test is available that would detect recent infections, then it would be possible to let tourist in after passing the test.

1. If Vietnam, Cambodia, and the Philippines open up before Thailand that's Thailand finished as a tourist country and the huge loss of all that foreign currency. That's a hell of a hit.
  2. Lets also not forget that your bucks go a lot further in them countries than Thailand
  • Like 2