Bucket Drinks...really?

moontang

I have been to KSR lately.  They have made some big improvements, none greater than the absence of the <deleted> of the dragon.  It is surprising to see they are still pushing the drink buckets.  How many times have we seen that the sharing of drinks is a huge no-no?  Just how large of a segment of tourist wants to drink cheap alcohol out of a bucket?   Almost makes the beer towers seem sensible.  Every once in a while, I take a whiff of a "clean" tower.  Smells like the basement of my fraternity house on a Sunday afternoon.  But, how is KSR going to survive, let alone reinvent itself as an upscale tourist destination with so much emphasis on catering to teenagers, who want to drink like pigs?  

On 7/16/2020 at 11:16 AM, moontang said:

But, how is KSR going to survive, let alone reinvent itself as an upscale tourist destination with so much emphasis on catering to teenagers, who want to drink like pigs?  

That's gonna be quite hard, given that 1) there are very few (foreign) teenagers left in Thailand who want to drink like pigs, and 2) KSR has never been known to cater for the affluent tourists.

9 minutes ago, Khun Yaaai said:

That's gonna be quite hard, given that 1) there are very few (foreign) teenagers left in Thailand who want to drink like pigs, and 2) KSR has never been known to cater for the affluent tourists.

Given that the travellers (gap year) are generally 20 somethings, and that most foreign teenagers in thsiland likely live here, im not sure I see your point.

Unless of course you are being curmudgeonly and teenager encompasses everyone under 30. 

Khao san will soldier on, it does have a local customer base, and eventually borders will open. The question is which businesses will be left standing.

Edited by n00dle

On 7/16/2020 at 11:16 AM, moontang said:

It is surprising to see they are still pushing the drink buckets.

I knew KSR, but "drink buckets" I don't understand. I've never been to KSR, but when I've had a bucket at other establishments/other place, it's been a bucket with 1/2 dozens beers stuck in ice.  That's hardly sharing a drink. What are you on about? I need a picture.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I knew KSR, but "drink buckets" I don't understand. I've never been to KSR, but when I've had a bucket at other establishments/other place, it's been a bucket with 1/2 dozens beers stuck in ice.  That's hardly sharing a drink. What are you on about? I need a picture.

It's an ice bucket with for example one small bottle of Sang Som mixed with coke,ice and a few straws. I am surprised you haven't heard of those. They've been around since late 80's and not only on Kao Sarn Rd in BKK.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

bucket contains a spirit/mixer/ice... tip it all in the bucket and drink through straws with friends.

buckets.thumb.jpg.587490e86ba36afc0fc175a5f34a39ed.jpg

Correct, and in CM they were also known to contain ingredients like floor cleaner.  The teens I mentioned would be younger Thais, and it does seem like part of the KSR culture is catering to underage, but for now there are almost zero underage foreigners around there.  We, as high school students used to drink in Georgetown, DC..because they were much more strict on our side of the Potomac.  My point is though, that during a pandemic, it seems odd that a business would serve shareable drinks, and more odd that the authorities allow it.  Seen the topic of sharing drinks mentioned a few dozen times in the media..along with sharing cigs, and it was blamed on one of the first clusters of cases here..remember?  And they have recently put quite a bit of money into the street/vending/walking areas, as well as talk of it going upscale.  Kind of obvious that land is worth a fortune, and even more without those older buildings on it..

For the time being, it is as nice as I have ever seen it, in ten years of rarely going there, and now it is an easy bus ride from my home, so I do check it out occasionally.  There were some hot-hot girls walking around.  

Edited by moontang

3 minutes ago, moontang said:

And they have recently put quite a bit of money into the street/vending/walking areas, as well as talk of it going upscale.  Kind of obvious that land is worth a fortune, and even more without those older buildings on it..

what does that have to do with a bucket being shared amongst friends that will be sat close to each other most likely without a mask and will probably get drunk and share spit and other bodily fluids later in the day/evening ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

what does that have to do with a bucket being shared amongst friends that will be sat close to each other most likely without a mask and will probably get drunk and share spit and other bodily fluids later in the day/evening ?

It is more evidence that it will follow Sukhumvit, and go more upscale, as has been stated by numerous parties (no pun intended) involved.  

20 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

It's an ice bucket with for example one small bottle of Sang Som mixed with coke,ice and a few straws. I am surprised you haven't heard of those. They've been around since late 80's and not only on Kao Sarn Rd in BKK.

Nope, never seen one. If I had, I would asked for individual glasses and let each person mix their own. Though now I see the principle. It's sort of like a 'small, mini' batch bath tub cocktail mixed up for a bachelor party. Only when we did that in college, everybody used a ladle and filled their own red cups. No one drank from straws. I have shared with a date drinks like a Pina Colada, hurricane or long island ice tea, but a bucket... Yeah, not very smart. Think of the uncouth SOB who decides it's cute to back wash. Yuch.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, moontang said:

It is more evidence that it will follow Sukhumvit, and go more upscale, as has been stated by numerous parties (no pun intended) involved.  

Thanks for the heads up, will avoid Sukhumvit if thats the direction the WuFlu is taking.

1 minute ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Nope, never seen one. If I had, I would asked for individual glasses and let each person mix their own. Though now I see the principle. It's sort of like a 'small, mini' batch bath tub cocktail mixed up for a bachelor party. Only when we did that in college, everybody used a ladle and filled their own red cups. No one drank from straws. I have shared with a date drinks like a Pina Colada, hurricane or long island ice tea, but a bucket... Yeah, not very smart. Think of the uncouth SOB who decides it's cute to back wash. Yuch.

I vaguely recall that when I snuck out of my bedroom when the parents held swinging parties... was called "punch" or something like that.

2 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Thanks for the heads up, will avoid Sukhumvit if thats the direction the WuFlu is taking.

Sukhumvit has been going upscale and expensive since SARS.  KSR, only over the last several years, and that was partly due to tourist taking a miss on pricier Sukhumvit/Silom.

1 minute ago, moontang said:

Sukhumvit has been going upscale and expensive since SARS.  KSR, only over the last several years, and that was partly due to tourist taking a miss on pricier Sukhumvit/Silom.

What does Suk rd going "upscale" have to do  with a bucket of drinks sold on KSR ?

5 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Yeah, we had grain parties in college, half the attendees were underage, and it was mixed in a 50 gallon plastic trash can.  We usually used a ladle, too.

• Like 1

Just now, moontang said:

You must have gotten your degree there.

Never been to KSR (those disgusting buckets) and I don't have a degree.

concerns me the wuflu is following suk rd though, will avoid !!

3 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Given your ramblings it is obvious you do not either !!

wrong, Bachelor of Business Administration, ranked 31st best undergraduate business school..in the US, by Bloomberg.

• Haha 1