How much money is required for 30 years retirement?

IMO any stock fund paying 5% will see a dividend cut or won't show any/much stock price appreciation.

Happy to be told I'm misinformed but so far the best compromise between dividend and price appreciation I can find is VYM which is paying less than 4%. Everything else I have looked at I can take a stab at what's wrong with it (ducks).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, checkered flag said:

That's fine in Europe but in Thailand they think you are nuts. When you keel over in the heat or get run over, I hope you can cover the hospital bill. Thais don't all have much, but don't willingly act like you.

Yeah I’m fine thanks, thanks for your concern. Concentrate on looking after yourself. 

Edited by Kadilo

20,000b per month in a regional city (with swimming pools, expat bars, large shopping malls etc) covers regular foot massages, car costs, regular car trips staying at nice hotels, dining out every night on Thai food, rent of apartment and weekly rent of beautiful, young pussy. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, whiteman said:

I will keep it simple    income per month  141057 Bhatt  Expenses 96785  CASH OVER  44272 per month.

Assets still I have 9.69 million Bhatt

house in N.Z. VALUE 8.9 MILLION BHAT TOTAL TOGETHER 18.59 MILLION BHAT to fall back on if need to.

I have a house here and 2 cars all paid for and a Thai partner of 16+ years no children.         I am 73 arrived here in Thailand at 57 with 44 millions Bhatt           so 44million had now have 18.59 million left + spent 10 million on a house here.

so came with 44 spent 10 on house ==  34million  still have left 18.59   === spent 15.41 million in 16 years  hope that helps. I also have Health cover for both of us and 4 dogs and 8 cats. I am very happy with my life hope this gives you what can happen here if you stay long term

1MB per year is what i'm planning on.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nemises said:

20,000b per month in a regional city (with swimming pools, expat bars, large shopping malls etc) covers regular foot massages, car costs, regular car trips staying at nice hotels, dining out every night on Thai food, rent of apartment and weekly rent of beautiful, young pussy. 

Your dreaming. The swimming pool must be the pond out back. Maybe you mean per week or 5 days.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

Your dreaming. The swimming pool must be the pond out back. Maybe you mean per week or 5 days.

No he meant 20,000 baht for each....daily massage, rent with utilities etc.....so about 100,000 baht would be about right

Between my Condo payment, utilities, food, utilities and entertainment, including keeping my wine refrigerator stocked I average 100,000 Baht per month.  Add in a trip now and then to Phuket/Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai, and the Monthly total goes to about 160,000 Baht per month.  So a little on the low side for some folks.  30 years at my rate and between 56 and 60 Mbht should work for a good retirement, but then you need to add in Insurance for car and health, so add in another 12 to 15 Mbht.....so top end you would need about 75 Mbht for 30 years.

• Haha 2

Spelling police post removed:

3. If possible please proofread your post first, poor grammar and spelling can make the post difficult to understand. However be aware that not every member is a native English speaker and excessive posts regarding others spelling and grammar not only hijacks the topic but is poor netiquette.

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

No he meant 20,000 baht for each....daily massage, rent with utilities etc.....so about 100,000 baht would be about right

Rent: 4,000 per month (air cond, 1 br, furnished, on-site caretaker, secured under-covered parking, free high speed wifi. 

Utilities: Water 100b pm, Electricity: 1,000b pm (running A/C)

1 hr foot massage: 200b

Hope this helps. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, mokwit said:

I'd call it low wages.

No its  the  inability to save, my Wife  did it none of  her brothers or sisters  did (8) they were always on the cadge from her yet she managed to scrape together 200K in  her bank when I met her first. her salary was  about 10k a  month, from that she rented a  room (shared with 2  others) and saved.

4 minutes ago, Airalee said:

So now we’ve gone from the ฿65,000/month expats telling the ฿30,000/month guys that they are barely existing to the ฿160,000/month big shots telling the ฿80,000 people that they live one star lives.

Too funny.

Whatever happened to the guy who used to brag about his ฿18,000 electric bills, assorted personal assistants/servants/groundskeepers/chefs and his BMW 7 series?

My dad always used to remind me of the saying...paraphrased I’m sure...

“there are no cash boxes in coffins nor pockets in shrouds”.

And that's why we spend it like we have it, because you can not take it with you.  After saving and preparing properly for retirement and investing appropriately, you can live either as a pauper or a king.  The choice is yours.  Live how you want or live how your income dictates.  We all come from different backgrounds.  We can act like Howard Hughes did and look the part of the beggar while living on nothing and having everything, or we can live like a hi-so and burn our cash flows to the ground.  Always remember there has to be a Plan B and a Plan C, and never spend more than you can just walk away from at the end of the day.  I know guys who have walked away from million baht condos and never looked back.  To each there own.......Enjoy 

• Like 1

On 7/24/2020 at 1:31 PM, Henryford said:

The biggest fall has already happened. If it fell another 40% we would all be going home.

No, only those that think they are kings or emperors will be going home. Those that are able to live like a Thai will be staying.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/24/2020 at 2:14 PM, checkered flag said:

A decent pension of about 100k baht month plus investments that you can draw on as needed,are my requirements. If you use the AC like my wife figure an extra 4-6K /mo. In the US I figure $6000/mo minimum 8000 was better that is after taxes. In Thailand it mostly VAT so it's built into the price. Property and business taxes are still low in Thailand so no big deal.

How about this- if your wife loves the AC too mut, tell her to go out and work to pay for it.

A decent pension of about 100k baht month

We weren't all corporate CEOs.

On 7/24/2020 at 9:16 PM, Nemises said:

You obviously have no idea about living costs in a non-tourist, regional city. Here’s a photo of the “pond out back” where I swim. Cost per entry: 40 baht. 

Any other stupid assumptions or further education required?

08AA873E-850C-4E14-A5C2-4FE9F55332AE.jpeg

I wouldn't pay too much attention to someone that thinks 100k a month is "required" to live in LOS.

• Haha 1

On 7/24/2020 at 2:59 PM, mokwit said:

IMO any stock fund paying 5% will see a dividend cut or won't show any/much stock price appreciation.

Happy to be told I'm misinformed but so far the best compromise between dividend and price appreciation I can find is VYM which is paying less than 4%. Everything else I have looked at I can take a stab at what's wrong with it (ducks).

Welcome to the real world. I've been "earning" zero on my savings in the west for years. As for "investments", after 2007 one can stick them where the sun don't shine.