Student+Guardian Visa or "Dependents of WP-holder"?

We (family of 3) are getting ready for applying for CoE and accompanying visa. I'm getting a WP3 which will allow me to apply for a Non-B visa and eventually get my work permit.

My wife and daughter have two options:

* Apply for Non-O based on being my dependents

* Daughter applies for Non-ED (student visa), and wife applies for Non-O based on being our daughter's guardian (daughter is 9 years old)

Our daughter will attend a private Int'l School in Thailand. She qualifies for a Non-ED visa, but she can also attend school on basically any visa (e.g. Elite). What I know from the school is that with the Non-ED/Non-O (student+guardian) daughter+wife have to do 90-day reporting, but they don't actually have to do it in person (which is good b/c daughter doesn't miss a day of school for this bogus).

What about if they got Non-O visas based on being my dependents? Would the same thing apply? Or would they have to do 90-day border bounces like me with my Non-B (once amnesty ends)? Is there any advantage to the student+guardian option, compared to the "dependents of WP holder" option?

As for my company, I own 49%, and there will be one Thai employee.  Not sure if this makes a difference for my wife+daughter, but AFAIK it means I have to do border-bounces every 90 days.

Not sure you will be able to get a multiple entry non-b visa or need one. If the company qualifies you would apply for a one year extension of stay near the end of the 90 day entry from the non-b visa.

With the extension your family members would get a extension of stay that will valid for the same amount of time.

You wife and child would only be able to get single entry visas and then apply for the extensions.

For attending school you daughter could get a one year extension. Your wife could apply for an extension based upon being her mother but would need 500k baht in a Thai bank for 30 days.

I think it would be best if you could hire 3 more Thais so you can qualify for a one year extension.

Can't hire 3 more Thais (don't even really need one...)

So if I understand you correctly, wife+daughter would only get 90-day visas each time and would have to do border bounces with me every 90 days.  Is that right?

5 minutes ago, leola74 said:

So if I understand you correctly, wife+daughter would only get 90-day visas each time and would have to do border bounces with me every 90 days.  Is that right?

First up OP. 

I just had a conversation with TVF mate both regarding the dislike for the negative minded posters on thaivisa. 

Ubonjoe just always give factual advice and sticks to that. That's why so admired and trusted. 

My advice. Step back from your personal situation. Spend few hours reading all the various threads re entry restrictions to Thailand. Closed borders. Reentry requirements even if borders open. 

I'm sorry but you sound like you have been in a bubble. BTW they have been ruled out.

The notion of bringing a family here in foreseeable future is pipe dream imo.

Reschedule your move by a year. Thinking even that is conservative.

Best of luck. Hope it works out down the track.

What's TVF?

Anyhow, I know the current situation, entry requirements, ASQ etc..  Been in touch with TH embassy.  I'm getting together all the docs needed for CoE and visa, and at this point I believe it is possible for us to go soon.  And if it's possible, it will be done ????

22 minutes ago, leola74 said:

That would be correct if you you only got a single or multiple entry non- visa and they were staying as your family members.

If your child got a non-ed visa for attending school she could get a one year extension and your wife could get an extension for being her mother but she would need 500k baht in a Thai bank for 30 days for the first extension and then 90 days after that.

OK, to summarize:

* Dependent on WP-holder with 1 Thai staff: Wife+daughter get 90-day extension everytime I do, and we all do border bounce (ignoring amnesty)

* Student+guardian: Daughter gets 1-year extension, wife still gets only 90-day extension (and has to border bounce)? [Assuming money in TH bank account]

According to info from school, the guardian would also get 1-year extension (with money in account)....?

Dependent on WP-holder with 1 Thai staff: Wife+daughter get 90-day extension everytime I do, and we all do border bounce

You would get 90 day permits to stay when you do border a bounce not a extension. Extensions are only issued by immigration offices.

Student+guardian: Daughter gets 1-year extension, wife still gets only 90-day extension (and has to border bounce)?

You wife would get a one year extension based upon being the parent of her daughter. No border run needed but she would need the 500k baht in the bank to apply for the extension.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You would get 90 day permits to stay when you do border a bounce not a extension. Extensions are only issued by immigration offices.

When will that be possible? Lot of guys on ME marriage would like a guess.

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

When will that be possible? Lot of guys on ME marriage would like a guess.

My crystal ball gave me the one finger salute when I asked. Same for me it is does not have a clue.

Best guess would be it could be possible if a neighboring country and Thailand agreed to open some border crossings.