U.S. Republicans unveil coronavirus plan, slash job benefit by $400 a week

webfact

1 hour ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

600$ a week unemployment money ?  2400$ a month ???? who would want to work when you get that much ?

100% ! The car dealership ,my kid works for in California told my son ,don't come back until all your assistance from the state and feds are exhausted!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's sad to see how the so called richest and most advanced nation on earth is handling Covid-19.

Maybe they should start by having someone competent in charge who cares, listens to experts and acts responsible...

and who is expert on knee jerk reaction then ?

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, pegman said:

Cut benefits by 2/3rds. Sounds like a winner in an election year. Right up there with the elimination of Obamacare in the middle of a pandemic.

9 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

The amazing insanity of it all....

2 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

600$ a week unemployment money ?  2400$ a month ???? who would want to work when you get that much ?

It's not cutting the benefit...but rather the additional benefit, which is OVER AND ABOVE, the normal unemployment benefit. So on the low end of States, Arkansas gets $219/wk, while on the high end States like Hawaii and Massachusetts are around $450/wk. Regardless of the state, the CARES round of benefits paid an additional $600/wk. So some in the high cost states are now getting over $1000/wk for staying at home. Arkansas residents are getting over $800/wk. Overall, currently around 70% of claimants, in all states, are getting more money now, than when they were actually working.  

The new proposal will cut the additional benefit down to $200 OVER AND ABOVE the normal state weekly payment. It's still generous, while the first round was extremely too high and overly generous. 

Slash unemployment for the commoners and send the savings to the banks and corporate elites as "free money" (Don't worry about paying it back.  The commoner taxpayers have your back.)

Wash, rinse, repeat until the US Treasury is drained and the US defaults on it's debts.  The wealthy (including the now wealthy politicians in Congress) will walk away from the burned-out wreak of what used to be the United States after it's been thoroughly raped, pillaged, and picked to the bone from the inside before it's set on fire and kicked to the side of the road.
Before you go - austerity for the commoners and funnel the savings to the uber-wealthy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

Hmmm, that is my retirement monthly budget. I determined considering the price of things in the US, I was priced out of a working middle class retirement with house, car, etc. living the working middle class retirement comfortably here ... in Thailand (millions of Americans are retired overseas for the same consideration).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

That is $600 dollars a week on top of normal unemployment benefits, so a lot of people were getting way more not working than working, this could not last forever

• Like 1

On 7/28/2020 at 7:01 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

It's sad to see how the so called richest and most advanced nation on earth is handling Covid-19.

Maybe they should start by having someone competent in charge who cares, listens to experts and acts responsible...

That goes for the general public too !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Don’t get too excited, the Republicans  can’t get this through without a whole lot of negotiating with the Democrats.

Perhaps demanding the accounts on where the $hundreds of billions of still secretly distributed corporate and business handouts went would be a nice start.

Put it under the heading ‘Transparent Government’.

That's my concern with all this massive, crazy spending.  The US GOV is just going deeper and deeper into debt.  Any time the government tries to manage a huge pot of money, waste, fraud, and abuse ALWAYS follows.  This is just one example of the recent stimulus money being stolen in broad daylight.  I'm certain there are many, many more...

[A Florida man has been charged with fraud and other criminal offenses after receiving $3.9 million in COVID-19 relief funds and using the money to purchase, among other things, a Lamborghini.]

https://www.yahoo.com/news/florida-man-receives-3-9-225315639.html

• Like 2

Should have been a payroll tax cut not a $1,200 check. Then hopefully people living abroad and dead people won't get checks. Anybody living in the USA right now knows it is hard enough getting anybody to work. $600 a week additional to unemployment was just insane to do. That's pretty much like having a $50k a year job after taxes.

Not bad if you were cut from Bob's Diner where you washed dishes. The $1,200 really should be reserved for people who lost work or had their incomes interrupted. Although I have to admit they shouldn't send me $2,400 I will be cashing it. The welfare thread in home country that goes at least 100+ pages will have another one just like it. 

On 7/28/2020 at 4:40 PM, spidermike007 said:

The best Republican covid response would be to get rid of Trump. It is going to happen anyway, come November. Why not be on the right side of history, and abandon him now? 

The best covidvresponse is stop argue together, republican democarat, Black white, old statue, lefty hard right etc etc. riot, looting

fight covid, not fight together. Is stupid. Selfish.

• Like 2

The Swamp is sliding all sorts of "interesting stuff" into this PoS.

A BILL
To lessen the burdens on interstate commerce by discouraging insubstantial lawsuits relating to COVID–19 while
preserving the ability of individuals and businesses that
have suffered real injury to obtain complete relief. 

https://www.cornyn.senate.gov/sites/default/files/SAFETOWORKAct.pdf

See section 142 page 38

SEC. 142. LIABILITY FOR HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS
9 AND HEALTH CARE FACILITIES DURING
10 CORONAVIRUS PUBLIC HEALTH EMERGENCY.