Extension Of Amnesty Now In the Royal Gazette

11 hours ago, BritTim said:

I 100% agree with this. The reason, I believe, is that it forces people into the clutches of agents who ensure senior officials receive nice fat envelopes.

Can an agent get you anything other than a retirement visa [extension]?

4 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

With who, for what?

181 days is the rule - I don't know of any statuatory exemptions* (as opposed to how handled in practice)

* there probably are some - diplomats and what nots

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mokwit said:

181 days is the rule - I don't know of any statuatory exemptions* (as opposed to how handled in practice)

* there probably are some - diplomats and what nots

The tax rules for Thailand are often misquoted.

If you are from one of Countries that has a Double Taxation agreement with Thailand, then your foreign income is not liable for tax. The list of Countries are; https://www.rd.go.th/publish/766.0.html

Only income earned within Thailand is taxable.

For the majority of foreigners only interest on Thai bank accounts is deemed as income earned within Thailand and subject to taxation.

However because the tax paid from this interest is below the 'basic annual allowance' for earnings under Thai taxation laws, it can be reclaimed each year from your local Revenue office.

• Thanks 1

Just received via email below US Embassy-Bangkok Alert.  It talks the recently approved amnesty extension to 26 Sep.   

Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Bangkok, Thailand (July 31, 2020) 

Event:  Royal Thai Government Approves Effective Visa Extension to September 26, 2020 

Royal Thai Government Approves Effective Visa Extension to September 26, 2020 

On July 29, the Royal Thai Government officially approved a grace period until September 26, 2020 for persons in Thailand in temporary visa status (of all visa types) to depart the country. The measure was published on that date in the Royal Thai Gazette.  The grace period effectively further extends the automatic visa extension that was first announced in late March due to Covid-related travel difficulties.   In light of this decision by the Royal Thai Government, visa extension letters from the U.S. Embassy are not required to remain in Thailand between now and September 26.  We will not issue visa extension letters for U.S. citizens who wish to stay in Thailand beyond September 26.  After that date, normal thirty-day extensions may be available for individuals who can demonstrate compelling reasons for not being able to depart Thailand.  Those decisions will be made by Royal Thai Immigration officers on a case-by-case basis.  

If you are a U.S. citizen who does not have access to funding, you may be eligible for a repatriation loan.  A repatriation loan is only for immediate travel to the United States and cannot be used to remain in Thailand.  The Embassy can use the repatriation loan to purchase a ticket to the United States on the next available flight.  The loan can also be used to pay for lodging and food associated with the impending travel.  This is a U.S. government loan program which you will have to pay back to be eligible for another U.S. passport.  If you need financial assistance to return immediately to the United States, please fill out the form here so that we can begin the process. 

Please refer to our Frequently Asked Questions for more information

Key Points on COVID-19:  

·Widespread, ongoing transmission of a respiratory illness caused by the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) is occurring globally. 

·The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) in Atlanta recommends that travelers avoid all nonessential international travel. 

·Older adults and people of any age with serious chronic medical conditions are at increased risk for severe disease. 

·There may be limited access to adequate medical care in affected areas of Thailand. 

·In the future, U.S. residents may have difficulty returning to the United States. 

·Travelers should avoid contact with sick people and wash their hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.  If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. 

·Thai regulations now require the wearing of face masks in public. 

·All international travelers should stay home for 14 days after returning from travel, monitor their health, and practice social distancing. 

·For the most up-to-date information, visit the CDC page on Novel Coronavirus and the CDC Travelers Health Page for travelers to Thailand. Information is also available through the World Health Organization. 

  

Actions to Take

·Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information. 

·For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC's latest recommendations

·Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information. 

·Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions. 

·Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Thailand. 

·Visit the Department of Homeland Security's website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States. 

·Visit the Kingdom of Thailand's Ministry of Public's Health English-language COVID-19 page for updates on the situation in Thailand. 

  

Assistance: 

·U.S. Embassy Bangkok, Thailand 

            Telephone: +66 2 205 4049 

            +66 2 205 4000 (after hours) 

            Email: [email protected] 

            American Citizens Services 

  

·U.S. Consulate General Chiang Mai, Thailand (serving U.S. citizens in Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Kamphaengphet, Lampang, Lamphun, Mae Hong Son, Nan, Petchabun, Phayao, Phichit, Phitsanulok, Phrae, Sukhothai, Tak, and Uttaradit provinces) 

            Telephone: +66 053 107 700 

            +66 2 205 4000 (after hours) 

            Email: [email protected] 

  

·State Department – Consular Affairs 

            888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444 

  

·Thailand Country Information

·Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts. 

·Follow us on Facebook and Twitter  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Thanks, just wondering how do you know that?  Is there anywhere where they clarified that retirement extensions are unaffected by this?

"... 2. Long-term visa holders have to submit an application for extension in accordance with a reason of necessity of each visa type."

!! This could be understood as do your extension of ret.ext  with forfulling the needed documents needed for that ext. E.G. the word necessity .....!!

BTW. the normal procedures are never being changed for those with proper stay doc. , all this grace or amnesty is meant for those who have problem to stay in accordance with immigr. rules this by the closing of the borders , making the non o & others who did normally border hopping to avoid the 1 year 800/400K or not 50+ year old ones chance to have almost same result  , example those working oil rigs making their  extensions impossible to keep doing as before .

A ret.ext. with 800/400K on bank and residing  inside Thailand has no problem to do his ext. Or his 90 day rapport in person (as i did in May in EMPTY  Jomtien) or else...this is not a "stranded " foreigner ....

Unless for the fact incase he is leaving Thailand , a problem return would be the result... so only stranded for leaving / returning ...

Edited by david555

21 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

The tax rules for Thailand are often misquoted.

If you are from one of Countries that has a Double Taxation agreement with Thailand, then your foreign income is not liable for tax. The list of Countries are; https://www.rd.go.th/publish/766.0.html

Only income earned within Thailand is taxable.

For the majority of foreigners only interest on Thai bank accounts is deemed as income earned within Thailand and subject to taxation.

However because the tax paid from this interest is below the 'basic annual allowance' for earnings under Thai taxation laws, it can be reclaimed each year from your local Revenue office.

"Thailand and subject to taxation.

However because the tax paid from this interest is below the 'basic annual allowance' for earnings under Thai taxation laws."

The maximum refundable interest is ฿20,000. You can get 3 years of tax on interest refunded at the revenue office. You just need to get a TIN- number first. 

58 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Can an agent get you anything other than a retirement visa [extension]?

Not always. However, volunteer and education visas are usually on offer and, depending on region, sometimes spouse and child extensions.

1 hour ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Thanks, just wondering how do you know that?  Is there anywhere where they clarified that retirement extensions are unaffected by this?

You are not affected by this because you are not stranded here. Just do everything you do annualy as usual and don't worry by listening to inaccurate posts. I did my 1 year extension late in May at Jomtien Immigration (almost no people at all) and my latest 90 days report online because I got lazy. In August I will do my 90 days money check. Just relax. 

29 minutes ago, Pib said:

Just received via email below US Embassy-Bangkok Alert.  It talks the recently approved amnesty extension to 26 Sep.   

We will not issue visa extension letters for U.S. citizens who wish to stay in Thailand beyond September 26.  After that date, normal thirty-day extensions may be available for individuals who can demonstrate compelling reasons for not being able to depart Thailand.  Those decisions will be made by Royal Thai Immigration officers on a case-by-case basis.  

Similar to the British Embassy who stated they will not issue Visa extension letters for stay beyond Sept 26th. They advise you contact them to arrange repatriation flights.

I believe the same loan deals are available if you cannot afford the costs.

For those who suggest the amnesty will be extended beyond Sept 26th, the writing is on the wall.

• Like 1

As per the earlier infographics released by Thai immigration, "All types of visa extension will be effective from Sept 27 2020". This is listed under the "Long-term visa holders" section, so I'm assuming that using an embassy letter for an extension at this point (as a TR/TS/VOA/VE) would be a waste of the letter, and only get 30 days which will already be covered by the amnesty extension anyway. 

Does anyone read the infographic and/or whatever new information has come out since differently? 

37 minutes ago, biatch0 said:

As per the earlier infographics released by Thai immigration, "All types of visa extension will be effective from Sept 27 2020". This is listed under the "Long-term visa holders" section, so I'm assuming that using an embassy letter for an extension at this point (as a TR/TS/VOA/VE) would be a waste of the letter, and only get 30 days which will already be covered by the amnesty extension anyway. 

IF your Embassy will issues a letter for reason of 'no available' flights, or' due to the continuing pandemic' situation, then the 30 day extension would start from 27th Sept.

You would require a letter for each 30 day extension until you could leave Thailand (albeit the borders reopening)

Extensions for Long term Visa holders would be subject to eligibility and meeting financial requirements.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

With who, for what?

Again......

Strictly taken after 6 months in Thailand the Thai tax authority see us as Tax residents ....( not so by immigration..!!)

This for the money brought in in same year ...

Very strange law, as if you save that same year money abroad and bring in after example 31 December ...it is not taxable ..Thailand strange laws????

But .... tax offices does not like too much to apply this as it is a hassle to keep in touch with all those sometimes different tax treatys by Thai ad foreign countrys.....it give them headache for most times nothing to gain ....and all this to handle in English ...????????????

So most time not enforced unless foreigner selling condo(s) or interest taxation as that is clear money earned inside Thailand.....

Next one ...?

8 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

How much more explicit do you need them to be - naming the foreigners?

It's evidently clear to me:

Short term Visa holders (TR,TS,VOA and VE) are required to leave the Country by Sept 26th, with the exceptions of 1) Medical illness - for which a medical certificate is required, or 2) No flight availability or a further Covid outbreak situation - requiring an Embassy confirmation letter.

Each permission of stay shall be granted for no more than 30 days.

My point was that from what I understand that nations such as Japan and Indonesia explicitly stated that there would be no further amnesty and people had to leave. So basically don't even think it may happen you need to be out.

Did the first Thai amnesty have any wording that implied similar things or was it more ambiguous than the current statement? Certainly all the embassies were very emphatic before that all had to leave by July 31 or get long term visas and no letters were would be extension letters written so going by their statements it is not as conclusive as going by what the Thai authorities state.  I am not trying to argue or belabor the point; I just want to make sure that I have a very clear understanding of the situation and know what options/possibilities there are and how I may move forward to try get back to Taiwan of maybe make my way Laos. I am not doing well at the moment and just trying to be sure about things.

2 hours ago, david555 said:

Again......

Strictly taken after 6 months in Thailand the Thai tax authority see us as Tax residents ....( not so by immigration..!!)

This for the money brought in in same year ...

Very strange law, as if you save that same year money abroad and bring in after example 31

Again......

Not applicable if your Country has a Double Taxation agreement with Thailand.

That only applies to those citizens from Countries without such an agreement.

On 7/30/2020 at 10:00 AM, ubonjoe said:

If the border crossing are not open and flights out of the country are limited then a extension might be possible.

About the only thing at this time is a 30 day special extension with a letter from your embassy.

Can you confirm (as good as you can, I know its always up to immigration) that those with a marriage visa who have NOT yet used their 60 days extension, can apply for such an extension any time before September 26?

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

Again......

Not applicable if your Country has a Double Taxation agreement with Thailand.

That only applies to those citizens from Countries without such an agreement.

Is that not what I wrote / meant  in my answer …?

But taxable means also  a duty to rapport taxation …. and then they see you are in that treaty case ….. so that is why so many tax offices waive you away ...until you insist to have tax I.D.  as example many Dutch like to have as it bring them an benefice in their personal country  tax case.... 

in letter of tax law you are taxable ..... unless …. yes... if their is a tax treaty 

27 minutes ago, david555 said:

But taxable means also  a duty to rapport taxation …. and then they see you are in that treaty case ….. so that is why so many tax offices waive you away ...until you insist to have tax I.D. 

If you have Funds in a Thai bank, you will receive interest, which is automatically taxed 15%.

You are entitled to reclaim that interest back when doing so the tax authorities will first register your details and issue a TIN with password.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

If you have Funds in a Thai bank, you will receive interest, which is automatically taxed 15%.

You are entitled to reclaim that interest back when doing so the tax authorities will first register your details and issue a TIN with password.

and so proven you are taxable ….. but under a limit and  not enough to pay example and  so just as Thais receive back what is not appropriate  …. so you prove the point to be taxable 

Expect from 2023 more tax control as then Thailand joins the OESO bank reporting international …..in other words...; informing your own country about your account(s) … (now only on special request in case suspected fraud  etc.)

Edited by david555

10 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Extensions are NOT extensions of visas - they are extensions of permission to stay (the underlying visa was 'used' a long time ago).

if I arrived in Thailand on 1 Feb on a Tourist Visa that expired 2 Feb I would have received a 60 day permission to stay, so on March 26 my Visa was 'used' more than a month ago but my original, never extended, permission to stay was still valid and that is what was extended by the amnesty, not my visa

if I had arrived a month before that on a Tourist visa, or 10 years before that on a NON-O visa and have already done one or multiple extensions of permission to stay before March 26 then the issue is still not when my visa was "used"

for those on long term retirement extensions, the only argument I have seen in these forums before is not that it a difference between extensions and visas but that you are not affected by the  covid-19 border closures so you should do your extension when it is due because there is no guarantee that you will still be able to do your extension in-country when the amnesty finishes - now that we are at that point I still don't see the situation is that clear for those that didn't follow that forum advice

21 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Similar to the British Embassy who stated they will not issue Visa extension letters for stay beyond Sept 26th. They advise you contact them to arrange repatriation flights.

I believe the same loan deals are available if you cannot afford the costs.

For those who suggest the amnesty will be extended beyond Sept 26th, the writing is on the wall.

If as I suspect they meant the first Amnesty to be a grace period they did not communicate that clearly - people interpreted as 'hang out in the Land of Smiles'. I think the authorities are making it clear this extension of the original is a grace period to leave, but from a pure pragmatism point of view the IDC can't accommodate thousands, so if it is a situation where there are still thousands of people still here they may err on the side of pragmatism and extend. Mass arrests of people for being on overstay, who the foreign press would portray as people unable to leave, would not be a good look.

Edited by mokwit
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, mokwit said:

If as I suspect they meant the first Amnesty to be a grace period they did not communicate that clearly - people interpreted as 'hang out in the Land of Smiles'. I

The original ministerial notice and both extensions never said anything about a amnesty or grace period. Those words were only created by others who started using them.

The notice just states that certain sections of the immigration of the immigration act are suspended.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The original ministerial notice and both extensions never said anything about a amnesty or grace period. Those words were only created by others who started using them.

The notice just states that certain sections of the immigration of the immigration act are suspended.

Factually correct, but the Immigration infographics do kinda put an interpretation on things - at least the last one which seems to be making it clear this is a grace period, even if it is technically an extension of the suspension.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

The latest infographic is full of errors and contradicts the ministerial notice in many ways. They rushed to do it and botched it.

For one thing the extension started today not the 26th.

OK but that aside, are they not saying that to be granted an extension beyond 26th you must have a very good reason for staying, specifically illness or home country closed/no flights and you must have supporting documentation. As it is Immigration who are the ones who decide at the desk level, for myself I would go with my interpretation of what I think they mean in the absence of any further action/explanation from higher authorities.

4 minutes ago, mokwit said:

OK but that aside, are they not saying that to be granted an extension beyond 26th you must have a very good reason for staying, specifically illness or home country closed/no flights and you must have supporting documentation. As it is Immigration who are the ones who decide at the desk level, for myself I would go with my interpretation of what I think they mean in the absence of any further action/explanation from higher authorities.

That is the same options that were available if they had not extended the previous extension of it. Just another thing that is not clear in that infographic.

I just edited the OP to change the translation of the ministerial notice to one done by a translation service.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So what has been posted in gazette means you don't have to do 90 day address report that was mentioned in the immigration infographic?

That is how i read it. The ministerial notice states the are still suspended.

I think immigration is wanting those that are here longstay to do their reports if they skipped them this month during the past 4 months. They certainly do not want those that were here on a short stay from a visa exempt, tourist or 90 day non immigrant visa entry to do them.

Immigrations infographic was poorly done and lacks a lot of info.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ubonjoe said:

That is how i read it. The ministerial notice states the are still suspended.

I think immigration is wanting those that are here longstay to do their reports if they skipped them this month during the past 4 months. They certainly do not want those that were here on a short stay from a visa extemp, tourist or non immigrant visa entry to do them.

Immigrations infographic was poorly done and lacks a lot of info.

Ubonjoe, you have mentioned few times that you skipped yours during amnesty, will you now be doing one during August?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I just edited the OP to change the translation of the ministerial notice to one done by a translation service.

That translation service just degraded the PM to the rank of Major General. I hope the rest of the translation is more accurate.

• Like 1