British pound continues to do well against the baht - rise against dollar is the reason, says UK media

webfact

7 hours ago, madmitch said:

Annual pension is due to arrive next month. Let's have a couple more baht to the pound by then please (Knowing my luck it'll plunge back to 37!)

Know how you feel, mine always arrives at a low point and is due next month also

The furlough schemes in the UK  and EU are hiding the true horror of what's happening to the jobs market. The US and Thailand are more cruel, but also more honest. So a falling USD and THB are what you'd expect right now, but just wait until the furloughs end and see what happens then. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

Four days ago was over 41 now it's back to 40.69.

Up and down like a whore's drawers.

On average , three times a day ...555

10 minutes ago, AndrewMciver said:

If there is no Brexit deal the expect the Pound to devalue once again 10-15%. 

30 Baht - 1 pound

Basically whatever your opinions on Brexit, there is no doubt it has wrecked the currency.

Its a strong Thai Baht that has caused the exchange rate to change , also the uncertainty about Brexit , once the money markets know what is going to happen , the Pound will rise again 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Remember getting 73 to the pound back in the day....lived like a Lord.

Highest in my time here was 79

Those were the days my friend ...we thought they would never end! and Thailand was a truly cheap destination then

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Logosone said:

The pound has regained its pre-Covid true value.

However, that was purely because the USD fell like a limp exhausted organ, and has nothing to do with the UK economy.

correct, the same thing happened to the Euro but it was short lived

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SteveK said:

UK's going back into lockdown in some areas , furlough scheme is ending, soon there's gonna be mass unemployment and rioting. If you can get 41 to the pound, change it fast!

rock on, so thailand is the place to invest your hard earned into,you,ve only got to look at the fire sale prices being asked for bars,get in ,you snooze you lose,some smart investment could bring real returns.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, johng said:

I'm hoping for 70 - 90 baht to the pound soon ????

I got 70+ when I first arrived and couldn't spend it all.  Now with a state pension frozen for 12 years and my married person's allowance now cut by nearly 50%, it would appear UK Gov are trying to starve us back home to plunder the Social Services. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mikebell said:

I got 70+ when I first arrived and couldn't spend it all.  Now with a state pension frozen for 12 years and my married person's allowance now cut by nearly 50%, it would appear UK Gov are trying to starve us back home to plunder the Social Services. 

In my opinion, the UK has had it's chips. Ever since the Suez canal debacle, the country has been in decline. Now it has got serious financial issues, an awful government,  a population and government still divided over Brexit, divided royal family harbouring a possible pedo, race riots as a result of uncontrolled immigration, home-grown terrorism, eye-watering property prices caused by unchecked foreign investment, increasing poverty and inequality and rapidly rising homelessness and drug addiction.

When you consider the cost of living it makes you wonder why people don't leave. Oh, hang on, they are:

https://www.rt.com/uk/497033-emigration-eu-brexit-study/

23 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

Four days ago was over 41 now it's back to 40.69.

Up and down like a whore's drawers.

40.9168 was the highest in the last 90 days according to Oanda.

Where did you see the rate over 41? 

Edited by Baerboxer

59 minutes ago, SteveK said:

In my opinion, the UK has had it's chips. Ever since the Suez canal debacle, the country has been in decline. Now it has got serious financial issues, an awful government,  a population and government still divided over Brexit, divided royal family harbouring a possible pedo, race riots as a result of uncontrolled immigration, home-grown terrorism, eye-watering property prices caused by unchecked foreign investment, increasing poverty and inequality and rapidly rising homelessness and drug addiction.

When you consider the cost of living it makes you wonder why people don't leave. Oh, hang on, they are:

And which Success Story Utopia do you hail from?

1 minute ago, SteveK said:

It's been over 41 a couple of times:

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=THB&view=1W

For short periods of time during days trading over a couple of days!

Wow - bet all those who monitor it 24 hours a day and act fast on their transfers with their personal Forex accounts made a killing ????

2 hours ago, jayboy said:

I agree.Rightly or wrongly the US$ like the Swiss Franc is still a currency haven in times of turbulence.The British economy will take a decade to recover and the currency will reflect that.Those who are able to take advantage of Sterling's relative strength against the Baht should do so now.I doubt the opportunity will be there in a year's time.

I doubt in a year's time, there is of course the mega freebie stimulus the US is about to inject into its economy which means in the short term the USD could keep falling. That is imminent. The last time the US injected a big cash give away the USD took a tumble.

That would mean in the short term Gold USD is good bet. It just broke the 2000 sound barrier and if the US publishes its stimulus package most likely the Dollar will keep falling, so gold will go up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveK said:

And one of the world's biggest debt mountains. 

• Like 2