Monthly deposits refused at Jomtien for retirement visa

Went to Immigration in Pattata to renew my one year visa. I had all the correct documents and bank statement but was told I had to go to my Embassy for letter of verify income. It seems that if your Embassy is still do letters then the option of monthly deposits is not available. Last year my Embassy (Canadian) told me they may discontinue letters so I started the month deposits. I asked immigration what I would have to do if the Embassy discontinued half way though the year. They couldn't give me an answer.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, pgrahmm said:

Did you bring a letter from your bank itemizing all of the international transfers?

Yes. I had all the monthly internation transfers. But that is not an option when a letter from the Embassy is availiable

• Thanks 1

Last year my Embassy (Canadian) told me they may discontinue letters so I started the month deposits.

They have not discontinued the income letters as far I know. I got one in Feb 2020 from the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok.

3 minutes ago, JusticeGB said:

Many banks won't be able to identify overseas transfers unless your bank has some method of identifying them.

I thought that using "transfer for longterm stay in Thailand" was more about telling Transferwise to transfer via the same bank you, the recipient, uses in LOS. IE, if you are with BB, they transfer from BB (and NOT one of their other associate banks, Kasikorn or TMB). Not sure whether Transferwise can handle any Thai bank not of their 3! Your own bank would then give it the International tag. 

Just completed my retirement extension last month.

EMS'd my bank statements for last six months, authorization to pay fees via CC plus my notarized affidavit to the BKK Canadian Consulate.

Got my letter back by EMS within about 7 days. 

Great to be a Canadian.

On 8/16/2020 at 3:57 PM, pgrahmm said:

Did you bring a letter from your bank itemizing all of the international transfers?

He needs the income letter/affidavit from his embassy/consulate. Bank statements etc is not an option if the income letter is available. Only people from the US,UK and Australia must use bank statements and in some cases additional documents. 

On 8/16/2020 at 11:17 AM, ubonjoe said:

They are still doing them. Getting one is your only choice.

Hi UJ,

Is it correct that you cannot use the monthly income transfer method when your Embassy still issues the foreign income statement?

Or is this only a Jomtien interpretation of the rules/regulations governing the monthly income transfer method?

2 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Is it correct that you cannot use the monthly income transfer method when your Embassy still issues the foreign income statement?

It is a or between the 2 in the amendment to the police order.

But many offices have refused the transfers if a person could get proof of income from their embassy.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is a or between the 2 in the amendment to the police order.

But many offices have refused the transfers if a person could get proof of income from their embassy.

Thanks, so once again a rogue interpretation of the actual rules/regulations by some offices.

Also such interpretation could put applicants in an awkward situation.

E.g. if their monthly pension does not meet the 65K or 40K tress-hold, but they have sufficient other funds to make up for that and do the monthly income transfers.

In that case they would have a hard time providing the evidence to their Embassy to get hold of the Embassy issued foreign income statement.  While it could be easy for them to do the monthly income transfers.

Pattaya IO has been very easy for years.. but it changed and for 2/3 years they are not facilitating the procedures, on the contrary...

Recently I needed for marine department a residence certificate in order to renew my boat licence..

They sent me back to Marine department to ask a letter from them confirming they needed a residence certificate.. !!! Of course due to Covid, the office in Bali Hai was closed and th. ine opened office was..in Laem Chabang..

Asked a thai friend to do it for me and finally no residence certificate was asked for.. and within a few days everything was done..

When a lot of thais here aren t even able to feed themselves properly, we should expect to be helped by immigration as, apart from living here and contributing to thai economy a lot of us help needy thais.. but no, it seems hassles don t stop..

Have a nice evening

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

He needs the income letter/affidavit from his embassy/consulate. Bank statements etc is not an option if the income letter is available. Only people from the US,UK and Australia must use bank statements and in some cases additional documents. 

No in Pathum Thani they want both bank statement and income affidavit certified by Embassy

• Like 2

I just returned from the Canadian Consulate in Chiang Mai. I paid 1200 Baht for the letter, proved my income with Canadian bank statements. So, I have the letter, really curious now if I should get the Bangkok Bank statement as well. I know I will need the letter proving that I have a current account but I didn't ask the Consul about the need for the statement. I'll probably get the statement, or at least ask the bank. I tend to believe the posters who say it isn't needed but I only want to go to immigration once.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/17/2020 at 5:22 PM, peteralex said:

Hi Sheryl,
acknowledging an Embassy letter or not seems arbitrarily handled at Jomtien IO. Last May in order to renew my marriage extension I provided such a letter from the German Honorary Consulate (GHC) as usual since years without them requiring and proof of a "monthly bank transfer", just a copy of bank book.  In order issuing a certification letter the GHC requires proof of income docs.
It is my practice to transfer my pension income in irregular lump sums onto my Bangkok Bank Foreign Currency Account in order to avoid frequent transfer fees and, to have funds converted to ThaiBaht whenever the exchange rate seems to be "convenient", consequently I don't have "monthly transfers" from abroad. IO did not consider/neglected the Embassy letter certifying sufficient income, moreover they insisted on the "monthly transfer" mode and proof of it, which under the circumstances I couldn't submit and, ... denied my application. They recommended  the "2-month 400,000B in bank" option, which i had to do hen, however, requiring me to apply for an extra  2-month-Extension to stay with family.
I ask myself whether it is a sort of orchestered difficulties against foreigners, or is it their ignorance of the regulations of police order n. (I forgot) or, is it pure arbitrariness of I officers.

Yup. I had the same. No Embassy letter (UK) and irregular transfers got my IO in a tiz even with a bank letter. Wanted source (perhaps) but said why not do 400k in the bank. Can't now this time I said. Oh   well you will have to leave and come back. So I am leaving, fortunately I still have some where to go, and now a flight. Don't know when I'll be back of course.

On 8/17/2020 at 5:22 PM, peteralex said:

Hi Sheryl,
acknowledging an Embassy letter or not seems arbitrarily handled at Jomtien IO. Last May in order to renew my marriage extension I provided such a letter from the German Honorary Consulate (GHC) as usual since years without them requiring and proof of a "monthly bank transfer", just a copy of bank book.  In order issuing a certification letter the GHC requires proof of income docs.
It is my practice to transfer my pension income in irregular lump sums onto my Bangkok Bank Foreign Currency Account in order to avoid frequent transfer fees and, to have funds converted to ThaiBaht whenever the exchange rate seems to be "convenient", consequently I don't have "monthly transfers" from abroad. IO did not consider/neglected the Embassy letter certifying sufficient income, moreover they insisted on the "monthly transfer" mode and proof of it, which under the circumstances I couldn't submit and, ... denied my application. They recommended  the "2-month 400,000B in bank" option, which i had to do hen, however, requiring me to apply for an extra  2-month-Extension to stay with family.
I ask myself whether it is a sort of orchestered difficulties against foreigners, or is it their ignorance of the regulations of police order n. (I forgot) or, is it pure arbitrariness of I officers.

I know a couple of expats from Germany staying in Jomtien. They always have a stamped and signed certificate sent from their pension provider in Germany which they bring to the German consulate in Pattaya. The consulate issues an income letter for Jomtien Immigration, and they have no problem what so ever when applying for their 1 year extensions. 

2 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Yup. I had the same. No Embassy letter (UK) and irregular transfers got my IO in a tiz even with a bank letter. Wanted source (perhaps) but said why not do 400k in the bank. Can't now this time I said. Oh   well you will have to leave and come back. So I am leaving, fortunately I still have some where to go, and now a flight. Don't know when I'll be back of course.

In your case immigration didn't do anything wrong. Since your embassy stopped issuing income letters January 1 2019, you need bank statements showing monthly deposits. 

3 hours ago, tallfelllow said:

Just go log on to your page on the CRA website . There is an option there that says Proof of Income. Just click on that download or print it. Take it into the Embassy and get them to Notarize it . Very simple. 

CRA is not a pension provider but a revenue agency. I have read about that document not being accepted at some immigration offices. They wanted a letter showing the source of the pension, imo from the pension provider. 

20 hours ago, Max69xl said:

CRA is not a pension provider but a revenue agency. I have read about that document not being accepted at some immigration offices. They wanted a letter showing the source of the pension, imo from the pension provider. 

What is the world coming to, I mean if you can't trust the CRA who can you......oh never mind.????

23 hours ago, tallfelllow said:

Just go log on to your page on the CRA website . There is an option there that says Proof of Income. Just click on that download or print it. Take it into the Embassy and get them to Notarize it . Very simple. 

I just completed my retirement extension at Jomtien using the Canadian embassy notarized pension letter: three pension sources -- two government and one statement from my former employer.

It's the Service Canada access point that takes you to your CPP and OAS pension accounts.* Two links give you the printable official government letters for each pension, which I showed to the embassy, plus the PDF of my company pension statement. 

However, the young Immigration guy who does the vetting said the boss wanted to see a previous year's tax statement to, as far as I could make out, see if I still have enough spendable income. [Insert colourful language here.] Never been asked this before, as I've used the embassy letter for years.

I had brought copies of the government  printouts -- just in case. I revealed I had "official government documents" and showed the guy the two pension declarations and a copy of the company pension declaration. Checked, accepted and no tax report report needed.

What the heck a tax assessment will show them, I've no idea, since I have other income. Every year there's "something else" out of the blue. Anyway, it's my last extension, as I needed it to stay until I can hit the road again.

*PS. The Service Canada GCKey accounts are locked down after a cyberattack that is believed to have affected 11,200 Canadians' accounts. Story on CBC News, etc.

• Thanks 2

On 8/18/2020 at 7:51 PM, Max69xl said:

Just

On 8/18/2020 at 7:39 PM, Kalasin Jo said:

My extension is due in January. Couple weeks ago I went to see an agent in Jomtiem . Wanted to ask if I should start transferring 800,000. Baht to account or can I use the CRA letter. I friend of mine in Chaing Mai uses it no problem. Before I went I logged onto the CRA website to my account and downloaded one on my phone.  She sent it to immigration with the question as to wether it was acceptable. Within a few minutes they were back to her saying yes no problem. Just tell him to make sure he gets it Notarized at his Embassy. 

• Thanks 1