Sixty residents flee for their lives as block of flats leans over backwards in Bangkok

webfact

Sixty residents flee for their lives as block of flats leans over backwards in Bangkok

1pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Almost sixty residents in a 30 room block of flats in Samut Sakhon fled for their lives as their three story building leant over backwards and appeared about to topple. 

Residents reported hearing a loud noise and a shaking last night. 

Local officials were quickly on the scene sealing off the structure to stop anyone from entering and protecting the property of residents. 

It happened at the Pa Yiam building in Phan Thay Norasingh sub-district south west of Bangkok. 

1pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Deputy governor of the province Theeraphat Katchamat said that governor Weerasak Wijitsaengsri would be meeting with all concerned at 10 am today to begin the investigation. 

Behind the building there is a reservoir. Structural problems and subsidence are initially thought to have caused the leaning.

The owner of the property found alternative accommodation for the residents and other plans were put in place to assist them.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-08-20

• Sad 1

I have noticed a few tall very narrow buildings one is Lumpine seaview in cha-am.

It looks like a sailboat,just waiting for a big storm to flip it over.

There must be a massive amount of concrete and steel in the base of it,not my type of building.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

And shows the precise reason why I would never buy a property here, especially a tall one.

strange logic, you live in one i assume, that is still built in Thailand,  so as safe as one you can buy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaLa said:

Agree entirely, just completed a 5000 sq. foot shop and 6 bed house. The specification ran to over 120 pages and was overseen by an architect. I found it difficult to comprehend the type of construction here, especially the foundations. I had a construction company in the UK and rarely went deeper than 1 metre on a concrete strip. Here we went 16 metres. All the beams had various levels of re-bar calculated for each span. 

I was impressed by the workmanship. I was certainly impressed by the hard work put in by the labourers, half of whom were just young women. Wasn't impressed by them working 30 foot up with hardly any scaffold boards.

EE3EE276-8AAF-4B13-BD0C-090E21F8C1D1_1_105_c.jpeg

Some of it is built into the DNA of the workers and their supervisors  here.  On my house, the Civil Engineer had them take down the whole roof of the veranda because the gauge of the steel supports wasn't up to spec. They didn't seem to understand what all the fuss was about, but they sure got the message when the work ran over time and they were docked 40,000  Baht in compensation payment.   That sharpened them up somewhat. 

• Like 1

Some locations have a simpler method: build good foundations down as far as necessary.  Then you can ‘float’ the building even in very wet subsoil (as we do on the Thames river clay in London).

But plesse do not forget  to use the appropriate ‘earthquake proof’ standards when in Japan/California etc!

In the area where I live the ground is very soft.  Recently they were building a new Tesco Lotus store nearby.

I saw them sink an 18 foot concrete column down to ground level in about 20 seconds (about 5 hits)

I have no idea why because they did not build on that section near the road, but further back.

The building was completed in about 2 weeks, complete with a coat of paint.

My apartment is over 100 Metres from the highway. Standing in the car park, every time a heavy truck thunders through you can feel the ground rise and fall like you're standing on a wave, and that was in the dry season.  I think this apartment must be built like a ship that's floating. No cracks visible.

Edited by xerostar