North eastern man "stung to death by a thousand hornets"

webfact

North eastern man "stung to death by a thousand hornets" 

3pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Police called to a klong in a village in the Non Thon sub district of Muang district, Khon Kaen found the badly decomposing body of a man face up in a small amount of water. 

Somchai, 52, was covered in hornet stings. 

Nearby on a Rain Tree were the nests of thousands of hornets. 

The deceased had been missing for four days and relatives had mounted a search party. 

Police believe that when he was out looking for shellfish he inadvertently tugged on a branch and broke a hornets' nest causing him to be stung. 

He then probably went into shock and died in the canal. They noted that he was a drinker of alcohol and that this might have contributed to the tragedy.

Relatives agreed with that assessment. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-08-24

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Police believe that when he was out looking for shellfish he inadvertently tugged on a branch and broke a hornets' nest causing him to be stung. 

He then probably went into shock and died in the canal. They noted that he was a drinker of alcohol and that this might have contributed to the tragedy.

Relatives agreed with that assessment. 

'assessment' Looks like they'll skip on doing a post mortem then?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mrfill said:

Why are they showing a picture of a bee nest? Hornets are wasps and don't produce honeycomb...

I'm no expert, but having just removed a same nest from our garden yesterday after having been stung a couple of days before. It looks identical to the one I removed, and they where wasps. Take care 

• Like 2

Back in the 90s in Bangkok, I was pruning a tree in my garden that overhung the soi, when a huge swarm of hornets came out of it and attacked me. I ran like hell up the soi, my arms flailing around my head trying to ward them off, in absolute terror - because you soon realise that you can do nothing to stop them if they persist.

Very fortunately, after I'd gone about 50 metres, they gave up and went back to their nest. It's a real lesson in how defenceless we are from tiny creatures en masse.

• Like 1

Be very careful with these hornets.

I was stung by one a number of years ago, a painful experience!

However when I was stung three years later by a regular bee I went into anaphylactic shock and had to be hospitalised. It transpires that in some cases the venom from these hornets can cause this long-term effect, particularly in allergy/hay-fever sufferers.

I now carry an epi-pen with me and have had to use it twice.

Very difficult to get an epi-pen in Thailand as the chemical ephedrine is a pre-cursor used to make Yaba. I have to bring mine from abroad.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mrfill said:

Why are they showing a picture of a bee nest? Hornets are wasps and don't produce honeycomb...

I recall a topic from the CM forum where a member posted some photos of a growing wasp nest at his home, and it did resemble a honeycomb of paper.

Getting rid of a growing wasp nest

paper wasps.jpg

Edited by Jai Dee
Link and photo added

7 hours ago, worgeordie said:

We had hornets nests under eaves of our house,

so at night ,with long poles with a rag on the end

covered in Chaindrite ,poked it into nest and run

like hell,took a few times but got rid of them,

the first time we destroyed half the nest,but

they had it repaired in no time.

regards Worgeordie

Spray them with petrol. Kills them quickly and will not go back to the nest.

6 hours ago, billd766 said:

You're a braver man than I am Gunga Din. We have had a few over the years and get my wife to find a man to deal with it while I stay shut up in the house.

A wise decision :thumbsup:

• Like 1