What can be moved from home in USA?

Hello,

Im trying to figure out how to move, what to move and what cannot be moved from my home in the USA.

Looking to understand if there are duty implications on household items moved to my new residence in Thailand

1) Duty implications?

2) Prohibited items such as gas powered equipment?

3) How to move suggestions? Do it my self in a container or?

Any help or advice is appreciated.

• Like 1

Depends how much stuff you have, what these items are and how fast you need them.

Is it possible to transport them in passenger baggage in either 1,2,3 tranches/passengers?

Here is the link directly from Thai Customs. You mentioned "your new residence", what visa are you using to stay in Thailand? Check if that makes you an official resident in Thailand or just a visitor on extended stay.

As far as restrictions go that affect safety measures you should contact a logistics company that handles the container shipment.

I'd do the math carefully if it's worth it to move any type of furniture etc to Thailand. You might run into an issue with art and jewelry (diamonds, gold, watches) when it comes to customs.

Edited by FlyingThai

3 minutes ago, Saraburi121 said:

We did not pack any major appliances or expensive items other than TV's, 2 computers and 2 beds. No bicycles or sporting goods. What surprised me was the amount of duties on kitchen items.

What was your legal status at the moment of the move?

How long ago?

How many TVs did you bring?

Moving as a family?

How much did they charge your for the kitchen items? Aren't they household items that should be duty free?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, unheard said:

What was your legal status at the moment of the move?

How long ago?

How many TVs did you bring?

Moving as a family?

How much did they charge your for the kitchen items? Aren't they household items that should be duty free?

-Legal status was Non-O Visa (married to Thai extended to 1 year before import arrived) which had no bearing on import duties according to customs because we imported later than 6 months after arrival to Thailand due to building our house. Items were in storage before shipping. Brought 2 TV's. All of our items were used, nothing new in the box lol.  Brought my Webber  charcoal grill even after a good scrub.  

-Received goods September 2019. 

-Let me dig in my records and I will post the document what the duty charges were.

As TallGuy mentioned in his post it is a complicated issue that depends on your situation. We took all vital documents and laptops in our carry on bags. I can definitely say it was like shooting in the dark to get answers about the duty costs.  Just like anything here it may vary from day to day or inspector to inspector.  I can definitely say the moving company that delivered our goods here in Thailand was pretty good.  Carefully unpacked and reassembled what we requested correctly.  I do remember that anything that had fuel in it was a real pain to ship so we sold. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Saraburi121 said:

I do remember that anything that had fuel in it was a real pain to ship so we sold. 

A generator with a fully drained tank will be a problem?

29 minutes ago, Saraburi121 said:

we imported later than 6 months after arrival to Thailand..

And therefore your shipment wasn't eligible for a duty free status?

Edited by unheard

16 minutes ago, unheard said:

A generator with a fully drained tank will be a problem?

And therefore your shipment wasn't eligible for a duty free status?

The shipping company said the fuel tanks had to be purged and certified as such for any fuel operated equipment before shipment.  My thoughts were expense on both ends. Who knows what the the duty and tax for a generator would be?

Correct, according to Thai Customs officials we were not eligible for duty free import due to import arrived 6 months after we arrived.  Didn't have anyplace to put things.

I moved many years ago.. But as best as I recall, there are certain classes of visa entry and whether or not you have a work permit that can influence whether or not you'll qualify for any kind of customs duty exemption. And then yes, if you manage to qualify for an exemption, it has to be used for incoming shipment(s) within a limited period of time after your original arrival.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Saraburi121 said:

-Legal status was Non-O Visa (married to Thai extended to 1 year before import arrived) which had no bearing on import duties according to customs because we imported later than 6 months after arrival to Thailand due to building our house. Items were in storage before shipping. Brought 2 TV's. All of our items were used, nothing new in the box lol.  Brought my Webber  charcoal grill even after a good scrub.  

-Received goods September 2019. 

-Let me dig in my records and I will post the document what the duty charges were.

As TallGuy mentioned in his post it is a complicated issue that depends on your situation. We took all vital documents and laptops in our carry on bags. I can definitely say it was like shooting in the dark to get answers about the duty costs.  Just like anything here it may vary from day to day or inspector to inspector.  I can definitely say the moving company that delivered our goods here in Thailand was pretty good.  Carefully unpacked and reassembled what we requested correctly.  I do remember that anything that had fuel in it was a real pain to ship so we sold. 

Document for my duty and taxes attached.  The left highlighted price is the duty, the right is the tax.  

The original seals were still on all the crates when they arrived at my house, nothing was opened an inspected.  I shipped 800lbs of hand tools which I was worried about and no duty/tax. Sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers etc and a big tool box.  As a disclaimer the duty/tax fees I paid did not reflect every item shipped.  Seemed like a hit and miss.  As I reviewed the fee sheets the tax on a small cabinet I shipped from kitchen cost me.  Flying Thai mentioned moving furniture here be careful.  Some things were duty/tax free such as books and clothes in my situation . Sorry for misinfo @Unheard about exempt things.  

Thai Duty Tax Oct 2019.pdf

• Thanks 1

I don't care what type of visa you have, be prepared to shell out on this end if you ever want to see your stuff again.  BTW, its all negotiable, too.  A real racket, this duty game.  And, everybody at the port has their hand out, too.  Better get an agent and pay up front.  Trying to do it yourself, like I did, is an utter nightmare.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, wombat said:

if you want to save yourself from terminal ulcers my advice is sell it all in the states and start again here

I didn't sell in the US, and I brought nothing with me. There is only one thing I have not been able to replace, and that is my LaPavoni Europicola Espresso machine. I finally settled for a Breville Barista Express. The advantage is that, if I am ever suddenly forced back to the US, it is a "turn key" return.

I did this last year. 

Used a moving company that sent a truck to the house.

About half of a one bedroom apartment. 

They wrapped furniture, packed artwork -- Then trucked the stuff out to the harbour for shipping on a container. 

The company charged by the Cubic Foot -- In lots of 400 cf.

Did not choose insurance, as my documentation was spotty, and the items were older.

I was charged about $800 at Thai customs - We just didn't fit any of the parameters to save much there. 

Was very happy with the result. 

We have our very comfortable Leather couch (Can't buy here), Mattress, antique rolltop desk, and other pieces of favorite furniture. Plus artwork and stuff that would have been too hard to travel with piecemeal. 

Just under $6k for 400 cf. Included all packing, door to door pick up & delivery to Issarn.

Good luck ...

• Like 1

Like @Saraburi121, my employer paid to pack and ship all of my stuff to Thailand when I retired. The moving company at this end created a customs declaration based on the inventory prepared by the packer at the sending end, and I ended up paying around $700 (if I recall correctly) in duties and taxes. Since that amount is less than it would have cost me just to replace my espresso machine here - let alone the other 7000 lbs in the shipment - that was perfectly fine for me. If you have to pay the costs of packing and shipping yourself, your math may be quite different. 

BTW, I brought along a bunch of 110v small appliances in addition to the coffee machine, and have had no problems running them with a transformer. I wouldn't want to do that with something that runs all the time, but for intermittent use it's fine. Since realistically the alternative had been abandoning them before the move, and the cost of bringing them here was basically zero, I don't care if they eventually fail before their time.

3 hours ago, kbb said:

I did this last year. 

Used a moving company that sent a truck to the house.

About half of a one bedroom apartment. 

They wrapped furniture, packed artwork -- Then trucked the stuff out to the harbour for shipping on a container. 

The company charged by the Cubic Foot -- In lots of 400 cf.

Did not choose insurance, as my documentation was spotty, and the items were older.

I was charged about $800 at Thai customs - We just didn't fit any of the parameters to save much there. 

Was very happy with the result. 

We have our very comfortable Leather couch (Can't buy here), Mattress, antique rolltop desk, and other pieces of favorite furniture. Plus artwork and stuff that would have been too hard to travel with piecemeal. 

Just under $6k for 400 cf. Included all packing, door to door pick up & delivery to Issarn.

Good luck ...

USA?  Which company?  I need to ship some things too.

3 years ago, I brought my Ryobi drill, circular saw and sander. Ended up paying 3x the cost in duty. I would also suggest not falling into the clothing trap, moving from new england, i brought all of my wardrobe. The only stuff I have worn since is shorts, short sleeve shirt and sandals.

• Like 2

I have read most of all replies and can not find anybody who has mentioned this..... Thai people that have lived overseas more than a year (possibly longer requirement) are allowed to 'bring home' personal household items and personal items (even a GUCCI purse upon their return home,,,, AND DUTY FREE...

On household items it is limited to one of each item... such as 1 sofa, one loveseat, 1 recliner, 1 kitchen table with chairs, 1 fridge (ever new with 220 volt system) .....

So, look into that if you are married to a Thai or even have a Thai girlfriend.... it only requires the THAI, NOT YOU..... and marriage isn't important.....

I've known of several of these duty free moves in past years,,,,,,,,

On 8/24/2020 at 11:26 AM, Saraburi121 said:

Document for my duty and taxes attached.  The left highlighted price is the duty, the right is the tax.  

The original seals were still on all the crates when they arrived at my house, nothing was opened an inspected.  I shipped 800lbs of hand tools which I was worried about and no duty/tax. Sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers etc and a big tool box.  As a disclaimer the duty/tax fees I paid did not reflect every item shipped.  Seemed like a hit and miss.  As I reviewed the fee sheets the tax on a small cabinet I shipped from kitchen cost me.  Flying Thai mentioned moving furniture here be careful.  Some things were duty/tax free such as books and clothes in my situation . Sorry for misinfo @Unheard about exempt things.  

Thai Duty Tax Oct 2019.pdf 1.15 MB · 22 downloads

The wife and I have contracted with International Sea & Air to ship a 20' container from Las Vegas to Chiang Mai.  We do all the packing and wrapping.  Everything must be ready to load on the appointed pickup day.  Including some insurance the price is about $6,500US.

According to my understanding we SHOULD qualify for the household goods exemption as a family.  That should allow up to two of any qualifying items.

Our shipper is using the same Thai company as was used in Saraburi's shipment for dealing with customs and delivery to Chiang Mai.  I have had direct contact with Boonma regarding clearing customs.  They have told me that the link to the Thai customs page given in post #3 is out of date.  When I pressed them on this their answers made me suspicious about their knowledge of the regulations regarding exemptions for household items for returning Thai citizens and their family.

I'm not sure if the problem is a language barrier, but they did not provide much illumination.

From one of Boonma's responses to my questions:

Can you explain how you know that the official Thai Customs web page is "outdated"?
- The update was October 2018. 
- Document required : An invoice (No need) 
- There are a few categories which import duty/tax will be charged without any exemption
(such as instrumental, tools, leisure items, sport eq, second electrical app)

Can you provide a reference or link to the current Thai Customs regulation regarding the exemption for returning Thai citizens and their family?
- I do not know when they will update but at the moment it's still outdated.

Do  you have the contact information for the Thai Customs officials that deal with our type of shipment?.
- You can contact to Thai customs for more information
Telephone number : 0-2134-0401 or 0-2667-7000 Ext 25-3106
==================
I'm not sure if the problem is a language barrier, but they did not provide much illumination.

When I asked them how do they know the details of the current customs regulations they said this:
"This information we have is not mentioned on the website. We know it after we deal directly with the customs officer."
================
I do find it unnerving that they don't seem to know the regulations ahead of actually clearing a shipment.

The saga continues...
Edited by gamb00ler