Pattaya: Two million baht spent on mobile sterilization unit after "scary increase" in stray dogs and cats

webfact

4 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Obvious increase because these sterilization efforts DO NOT WORK when it comes to getting the population down, as best it just slows the increase. Blaming the virus crisis is just a convenient excuse, soi dogs need to be put down not sterilized. After sterilization they are still a health and safety risk, not to mention the racket they can created. Buddhism is not the cause for the reluctance to kill them, if it were most Thais would be vegetarians. I think we all know what the real reason is,

A cull is required in certain situations but does not work long term.

Dogs are territorial if the food source is still there others move and breed.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

Totally agree.  I live on a high-end estate & the noise from the local pampered pets reduces the value of all houses to Issaan village levels, at a time when the market is already in free-fall.

When it comes to strays they are just another road hazard contributing to the thousand a month human roadkill figures.

Rabies is on the rise; bacteria is strewn across the country's sidewalks; shopping at 7-11s is fraught with these creatures and Thailand wants to attract high-end tourists?

just spent 5 days in hospital soi dog ran on front of my motorcycle im lucky to be here  .. give them all the injection clean the places up and make it safer 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Obvious increase because these sterilization efforts DO NOT WORK when it comes to getting the population down, as best it just slows the increase. Blaming the virus crisis is just a convenient excuse, soi dogs need to be put down not sterilized. After sterilization they are still a health and safety risk, not to mention the racket they can created. Buddhism is not the cause for the reluctance to kill them, if it were most Thais would be vegetarians. I think we all know what the real reason is,

true there mate sterilisation is like pis...g into the wind waste of time and money 

• Like 2

There is a scary increase? But sterilization can take years to decrease especially the dogs population. And as we know there will be always new Soi dogs. The 2 million Baht could have been spent better... I am afraid it will not fix the stray dog and cat problem like all the things that have been done before already.