Pattaya: Two million baht spent on mobile sterilization unit after "scary increase" in stray dogs and cats

webfact

I'm a dog lover but these soi dogs are a big nuisance creating havoc around buddha hill going down to cosey beach.  Multiple dogs are darting into the street and even sleeping on the street.

I met a crippled 45 year old man who had a motorbike accident trying to avoid a street dog that ran in front of him.  He put his feet down on the road while driving and one ankle shattered.  I talked to him at my local coffee shop and after multiple surgeries and 4 months later he can barely walk.

My friend witnessed another similar motorbike accident, and the motorbike driver's ankle/leg bone was hanging by the skin after crashing. Compound fracture. This driver also tried to avoid a soi dog and put his foot down on the road while driving.  My friend helped the man get out of the road and an ambulance took him to the hospital.

In both cases the dog was unblemished.

In my area soi dogs are ripping chunks of flesh off each other.  They go for the backbone behind the head.  One such dog is dying behind the motorbike taxi boys stand for weeks now.  Puss filled wound teaming with parasites.  The remaining dogs are much more beady eyed and alert and ready to protect their territory.

I don't walk anymore in this area.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Harveyboy said:

just spent 5 days in hospital soi dog ran on front of my motorcycle im lucky to be here  .. give them all the injection clean the places up and make it safer 

My sympathies.  My stepdaughter suffered the same fate; whilst she lay unconscious on the road, a two-legged dog made off with her bag & mobile phone.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, bodga said:

sterilize the idiot  feeders  who have no responsibility for the harm these animals do to others

They are on a mission from God, well Buddha.

I am told a lady who goes around our village feeding strays is doing some penance and under instruction from a monk at the Wat, that this is what she has to do. I believe the plastic food bowls I have put in my trash from in-front of my gate were hers. 

• Like 1

Let me start explaining that some of my relationships insisted on having pussy or two in the house, no problem with that, easy to train and to keep on the own territory. 
And, I love dogs.
Well-trained dogs that is.
Had a well-bred German Shepherd that opened the bedroom door at 6.30 (a.m. that was) started licking my hand to tell me it is time for the morning walk.
Lovely companion, needed a lot of exercise, would do as told, even in increasingly difficult training, and would, if needed, kill anyone threatening the family.
What is more, during an evening walk at about minus 20, he found and then dragged a neighbour who had enjoyed a glass bottle or two, maybe three, from the forest.
What is there not to love an animal like that !

Now, when I go running I have to carry a stick to keep these frigging wild and out-of-place dogs off.
(sticks enough where I am living in ???? )
In Patts we needed either a more difficult to find stick to walk to a nearby restaurant, or go by motorbike and stay sober.

For me, NO PROBLEM if a dog-catcher takes the superfluous Felines and Canidae to a better place.

Anyway, don't understand why the big fuzz about this,
other than getting a picture on the internet, 
Just get on with it.

Edited by KKr

Can't wait to see the fantastic results this plan will have. Millions of baht and hours well spent i am sure.

Soon no more problems with the critical high number of street dogs.  

Oh, wait a moment...all the dogs are still going to be there? People will still dump unwanted non sterilised dogs on the streets. The dogs will still chase and bite people, cause accidents and spread disease, get injured or sock, be infested with parasites, suffer and have no homes.  Hmmmm...

Maybe the money and time invested by these loving, caring, compassionate, religious people may be better spent helping the high numbers of destitute and suffering homeless people there instead, where it could really improve people's lives? 

Edited by jak2002003
  • Like 1

On 8/26/2020 at 4:07 PM, Orton Rd said:

Obvious increase because these sterilization efforts DO NOT WORK when it comes to getting the population down, as best it just slows the increase. Blaming the virus crisis is just a convenient excuse, soi dogs need to be put down not sterilized. After sterilization they are still a health and safety risk, not to mention the racket they can created. Buddhism is not the cause for the reluctance to kill them, if it were most Thais would be vegetarians. I think we all know what the real reason is,

I don't know what teason you are suggesting.

On 8/27/2020 at 11:28 AM, Kerryd said:

Sterilize 1,000 dogs and the other 19,000 will continue doing what they do. I doubt anyone will notice the least difference in the population of the strays. 

Some of those soi dogs are obviously diseased and suffering from malnutrition. I remember many, many years ago when this was a problem (back before Tony opened up his stray dog shelter) and they noted that the Thai's don't want to put down all these animals because of Buddhism. (Live and let live philosophy. At least until it becomes an overbearing problem and people start getting bit more often and maybe getting rabies as well.)

Doesn't make sense to me to let so many dogs suffer or to let them continue to proliferate in such numbers. 
If this sterilization program had of been continually in effect for the last 20 years, the problem would hardly be noticeable now. Sterilizing a couple hundred dogs once every few years ?
Waste of time, effort and money.

Exactly. Like everything in this country. Even if there are rules nobody enforces them so there is no ramifications of peoples actions.

Drive the wrong way up a road or on a pavement. Throw trash everywhere. Dump animals. etc

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Horrible that people abandon their dogs and cats.

They buy cute little puppies (or kittens), perhaps to appease a partner and the older animals are abandoned as the relationships fail or circumstances change. 

• Like 1

They should all be captured, sterilized, and vaccinated.

Then a professional animal control force and adoptions.

Heavy fine for owners who let mutts roam free

In a few years he problem of street dogs over, and also rabies eradicated like most everywhere else.

Those who fantasize about the mass killing of dogs, most of what are harmless, shame on you.

Despite your fantasize about dog slaughter, most of what are harmless, it is impossible  "kill them all"

I haven't read all the posts, sorry if I am redundant.

We just returned from Hua Hin and the monkey problems, like the Soi dogs, is serious too. Without tourists to feed them they are starving and becoming VERY aggressive. They terrified my wife. Do not ever be aggressive with them. I saw a big male jump on a Thai guy's truck, rip open his cover on the bed, and grab food. When the Thai man got out of his truck and swung his cost at him, the monkey charged him. These little <deleted> are strong and fierce. Don't <deleted> with them. Drive away, write it up as a loss. (PS Never show you teeth to a monkey, like in a smile, it is a very aggressive threatening move. They aren't cute. They had some photos there of injuries (sorry I don't have to share)  they have caused, including ripping off a man's ear.

2020-08-11 13.06.56_1579039664.jpg

2020-08-11 13.07.07_2239559764.jpg

2020-08-11 13.07.15_2318501364.jpg

• Like 1