Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

Yup sprockets replaced 1 week ago. Hmm, you guys heard of this chain company http://www.168interautoparts.com/cyc_chain.html ( im not looking at the color ones, but the O-ring type ) :)

I have found a DID chain with the name 428H-N 124L but dont know if its a good fit for my bike ( sprockets are stock, 15t/44t ).

Anyone knows a place where i can look at chains on internet? a good shop or so, would be nice with a link :D

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup sprockets replaced 1 week ago. Hmm, you guys heard of this chain company http://www.168interautoparts.com/cyc_chain.html ( im not looking at the color ones, but the O-ring type ) :)

I have found a DID chain with the name 428H-N 124L but dont know if its a good fit for my bike ( sprockets are stock, 15t/44t ).

Anyone knows a place where i can look at chains on internet? a good shop or so, would be nice with a link :D

didspecsfixedlarge.gif

That's DID's list...

i've always googled, and then gone to the manufacturers website, (DID, regina) then took the part number to wherever was convenient to buy/order it.

chains are easy, you only need 428 size, pick the #links, (count the current one, look in the manual, be creative. hint:124?) then find the strongest, lightest, choose the gold color, and the type of o-ring!

In mocyc.com, what did you search on? I put nsr in the search box and got no results with nsr motorcycles. can you read thai?

thanks. Cheap is relative. If a used low miles sonic is 30,000B, I can put 20000B in the sonic and have quite a nice special bike.

To add parts to the CBR would put me in the 70000B range.

I'm thinking CDI, cyl, head, pipe, piston, cam, rearsets, tires, chain, sprockets, levers, shock.

thanks,

Jeff

Here's the link for NSR 150SP search I performed. Go down looking for something along the lines of

[color="#b3b3b3"][color="#000000"]www.mocyc.com/store/view.php?idclassified=[/color][/color]

Obviously you want to find something in the 2009 time frame.

And yes, you can modify a Sonic to reach the goals you want to, but it's still just a 50 000THB Sonic. If that has enough catchet for you, go for it. You'll still most likely be embarassed by some little Thai dude on a 125RS however.....

Edited by dave_boo

In mocyc.com, what did you search on? I put nsr in the search box and got no results with nsr motorcycles. can you read thai?

thanks. Cheap is relative. If a used low miles sonic is 30,000B, I can put 20000B in the sonic and have quite a nice special bike.

To add parts to the CBR would put me in the 70000B range.

I'm thinking CDI, cyl, head, pipe, piston, cam, rearsets, tires, chain, sprockets, levers, shock.

thanks,

Jeff

Here's the link for NSR 150SP search I performed. Go down looking for something along the lines of

[color="#b3b3b3"][color="#000000"]www.mocyc.com/store/view.php?idclassified=[/color][/color]

Obviously you want to find something in the 2009 time frame.

And yes, you can modify a Sonic to reach the goals you want to, but it's still just a 50 000THB Sonic. If that has enough catchet for you, go for it. You'll still most likely be embarassed by some little Thai dude on a 125RS however.....

i thought a Sonic was a 125.. and they do say RS on the side... the RS is the one with mag wheels and electric start. Otherwise, what bike bike do you mean?

By embarrassed, do you mean out-ridden through traffic, or out-powered?

thanks.

i thought a Sonic was a 125.. and they do say RS on the side... the RS is the one with mag wheels and electric start. Otherwise, what bike bike do you mean?

By embarrassed, do you mean out-ridden through traffic, or out-powered?

thanks.

Sorry, error between the keyboard and chair. I was talking about the Honda LS 125R; a ratty example will definitely out power and most likely (unless you're suicidal) out ride the Sonic/CBR like nobody's business.

02022006001.jpg

Hello All

Well my parts came in today and I'm chomping at the bit to get some of the mods done; my buddie's mechanic is tied up at the moment and can't get to it anytime soon so he's referring me to a freind of his to do the work, yada yada yada ... In the meantime I figured I'd tackle one or 2 small things I figured I could do myself - namely replacing the exhaust and replacing the stock air box/filter with a new K&N filter. So I got the faring off and managed to replace the pipe/exhause without issue, but when I went to look at getting at the carb to do the air filter I saw that it was burried under the seat/tank/between the frame - yikes! Is there an obvious way to get to the air filter that I'm missing or does the tank need to be removed first to do this work? if so how involved it this to do?

Thanks for any advice!

Use your key take out the pillion seat, from there you will see how to take off the main seat. The tank is next, disconnect the fuel any electrical lines. then the airbox is wide open for you to do whatever. When you put the tank back on be super careful as it is very easy to scratch the sides or your mid faring. It is really best to have a second pair of hands for this step.

Thanks for the info/advice, was hoping I could get to it without taking off the tank, but it is what it is - see how brave I feel on the weekend I guess ...

OK real dumb question - is the speedometer on the CBRs electronic or mechanical? I looked at the cable and I suspect it's mechanical, but didn't go as far as disconnecting it to look closely ..

Was thinking of getting one of these devices, but it only works with electronic speedos ..

http://www.speedohealer.com/eng/faq.htm

The CBR-150 uses a mechanical rotating cable from the front wheel. Have you thought about getting a GPS... a lot more useful I think.....

Hi all,

I never knew the CBR existed till I saw this thread. Looks interesting, but how about when you're giving someone a ride? Is it comfortable enough to do regularly. I suppose sidesaddle is out of the question?

Riding on the pillion isn't too bad. The biggest problem I've had in that position is that I had to sit fairly far back on the cushion itself (and I'm only 5' 9"), and ended up getting the grab bar bruising my but. If the rear footpegs were lower, it wouldn't have been an issue, but I wasn't comfortable with my knees just shy of my chin sitting as close to my g/f, who was driving at the time, as possible.

When I stay up with the inlaws, my g/f and I made trips into Nakhon Sawan. These trips were usually around 1 hour, and while she didn't complain, she was happy to get off and say "Jip dtoot". Which I guess is complaining, a little bit. But after 1 hour of riding, it's probably time to stop and take a break anyways. Most Thais are hungry after that amount of time, at least in my experience. :)

I would think the size and shape of the rear seat would preclude any sidesaddling. My g/f mostly wears pants anyways, so I can't actually give you an accurate answer, but she's indicating she would NOT ride in a dress on the CBR.

"Jip dtoot" aka " jep dtewt" means: my a*s hurts! I'm surprised none of you (with thai girlfriends) caught this one.

Sold my CBR and still have a week old PWK 28mmm flat slide carb, jets, aircleaner, the required throttle assembly, and aluminium can Endurance pipe. The carb is a genuine PWK and not the cheap PE round slide, or worse yet a copy

less than 1/2 price at 6000 B for the lot

Still for sale in CM

I PM'd you..

Hi all,

I never knew the CBR existed till I saw this thread. Looks interesting, but how about when you're giving someone a ride? Is it comfortable enough to do regularly. I suppose sidesaddle is out of the question?

Riding on the pillion isn't too bad. The biggest problem I've had in that position is that I had to sit fairly far back on the cushion itself (and I'm only 5' 9"), and ended up getting the grab bar bruising my but. If the rear footpegs were lower, it wouldn't have been an issue, but I wasn't comfortable with my knees just shy of my chin sitting as close to my g/f, who was driving at the time, as possible.

When I stay up with the inlaws, my g/f and I made trips into Nakhon Sawan. These trips were usually around 1 hour, and while she didn't complain, she was happy to get off and say "Jip dtoot". Which I guess is complaining, a little bit. But after 1 hour of riding, it's probably time to stop and take a break anyways. Most Thais are hungry after that amount of time, at least in my experience. :)

I would think the size and shape of the rear seat would preclude any sidesaddling. My g/f mostly wears pants anyways, so I can't actually give you an accurate answer, but she's indicating she would NOT ride in a dress on the CBR.

"Jip dtoot" aka " jep dtewt" means: my a*s hurts! I'm surprised none of you (with thai girlfriends) caught this one.

Ive had several thai ladies ride side saddle and also one larger farang lady also used to ride side saddle.....stuffed if I know how they balance on there but no one has fallen off...yet.

Gentlemen ( and possibly ladies ), it's time for me to seek your expert knowledge on CBR aftermarket exhaust systems. Was hoping to avoid the mail order route but it appears I have no other option. Basically looking for a system that gives a better exhaust note without attracting the attention of the BIB and obviously improved performance :) I've been looking on aseanmoto.com and faddybike.com and would value your experience in helping me decide which exhaust to go with.

Jack

Gentlemen ( and possibly ladies ), it's time for me to seek your expert knowledge on CBR aftermarket exhaust systems. Was hoping to avoid the mail order route but it appears I have no other option. Basically looking for a system that gives a better exhaust note without attracting the attention of the BIB and obviously improved performance :) I've been looking on aseanmoto.com and faddybike.com and would value your experience in helping me decide which exhaust to go with.

Jack

Or just change the down-pipe and keep the muffler - not quite as much power (but still gobs more than before), and no noise concerns - only a little louder...

Hi all,

Ive had several thai ladies ride side saddle and also one larger farang lady also used to ride side saddle.....stuffed if I know how they balance on there but no one has fallen off...yet.

My wife and I take about two 700 km+ trips a year on the -150. She packs light and never complains about the seat. We like to stop often and see the sights, and rarely spend more than two hours riding without stopping. We use the bike almost daily and it is more comfortable two-up for me than a scooter.

Jack

Or just change the down-pipe and keep the muffler - not quite as much power (but still gobs more than before), and no noise concerns - only a little louder...

Thanks wjmark. You're idea probably makes the most sense but I do fancy a 'slightly livelier' exhaust note. Any recommendations folks?

I want to know if 47,000B is a good price for a used (only 500KM) 2008 CBR150RR from a honda dealer ( A mechanic who works there).

It looks perfect. Has anyone ridden a "good" late model sonic and are they close in acceleration or top speed?

How close?

Anyone know (from EXPERIENCE) the top speed of either?

thanks,

Jeff Beck

Thanks for your help everyone. I think I will probably buy this CBR 150 RR wil 500KM on the clock.

I have a lot of comments after spending all day reading all 31 pages of thread.

The first is - can 'we' do something to list known modifications and parts suppliers, both local shops and websites - after cutting and pasting from the forum into a text file for hours, i would think this would be an advantage for everyone.

There's so much info and details but to discover it and be able to refer to it later, a forum is not the best way.

This question/idea is for the moderator I suppose.

Also it would be a nice place to have facts, not opinions, preferences, or rumors. A good example is the fact about max bore size without case modification, specific carb information, aftermarket tire sizes (that fit!) and manufactures, known contact names and numbers for websites dealings, names of places where someone can speak english if you have dealt with someone already and were happy or not. For example I have deposited BIG money into their account and dealt with asean moto extensively and have a wealth of info about this experience. I could post it - but later, people may never see it.

Anyhow thanks again and more later.

One last question, I assume these bikes are easy to sell second hand (at a reasonable price) - is this true, in Chiang Mai specificially?

I would also expect that most owners are farang because of the price, and WHERE AGAIN is the riding club based, does it still exist?

Sorry if these questions have been answered in the thousands of posts I just read, I can't remember!

Jeff Beck

Chiang Mai

My FNU is not compatible with the CBR150, so i am putting a rear cowl on and taking off the foot rests. Which suits me fine as i can go for the cafe racer look!

For aftermarket mufflers, i've been talking to Akunar, they are able to get the Endurance system now with a noise killer on it. I'm trying to see if they can do a slightly larger muffler/can. i realise it is a balance between noise and power, it does seem that a lot of the power is gained from a bigger header pipe. i have a bigger pipe fitted and had the standard muffler modified (holes drilled and packing removed), it did make a difference but it is noisy. I suppose while there may not be a huge increase in performance with using a carbon fibre muffler that is a little more restrictive than a racing one, there is a big weight loss.

I am still hunting for wheels and have got a few people searching around. From what i can work out from all the specs;

- on standard rims 100/80 front and 120/80 rear is the max if you want to keep within the recommended rims sizes

- for new rims i think 2.15" front and 3.00" or 3.50" rear. That way can the 100/80 front will be more comfortable (the recommended minimum rim for a 110/70 is 2.75") and 130/70 rear. Obviously if we can get a rear rim to match the design of the front, then only need to outlay for the rear rim.

I got a nice response from Michelin Thailand! Note that Michelin don't have a 120/80, and that Michelin Uk recommend a 3.00" minimum for the 130 tyre

Here is the answers of your question.

I have a Honda CBR motorbike with rear rim size of 2.15” . I have the Michelin Pilot Sporty 100/80-17 fitted at the moment.

What is the largest size tyre I could go on this rim, would the 110/80 or 130/80 Pilot Sporty fit?

Ans:The largest tire size could be for rim size 2.15" : 110/80-17,

if you use 130/80 you have to change the rim to be at least 2.50".

Also could you please give me the dimensions for the Pilot Sporty 130/80-17 & 130/70-17

I would like to know:

- the rolling diameter

Ans of 130/80-17 = 640 mm.

of 130/70-17 = 614 mm.

- actual width of the tyre (i.e. measurement at sidewall to sidewall at widest part)

of 130/80-17 = 129 mm.

of 130/70-17 = 129 mm.

- smallest size wheel rim these tyres could fit on

Ans: smallest rim size = 2.50"

We hope that these informations are useful.

My FNU is not compatible with the CBR150, so i am putting a rear cowl on and taking off the foot rests. Which suits me fine as i can go for the cafe racer look!

For aftermarket mufflers, i've been talking to Akunar, they are able to get the Endurance system now with a noise killer on it. I'm trying to see if they can do a slightly larger muffler/can. i realise it is a balance between noise and power, it does seem that a lot of the power is gained from a bigger header pipe. i have a bigger pipe fitted and had the standard muffler modified (holes drilled and packing removed), it did make a difference but it is noisy. I suppose while there may not be a huge increase in performance with using a carbon fibre muffler that is a little more restrictive than a racing one, there is a big weight loss.

I am still hunting for wheels and have got a few people searching around. From what i can work out from all the specs;

- on standard rims 100/80 front and 120/80 rear is the max if you want to keep within the recommended rims sizes

- for new rims i think 2.15" front and 3.00" or 3.50" rear. That way can the 100/80 front will be more comfortable (the recommended minimum rim for a 110/70 is 2.75") and 130/70 rear. Obviously if we can get a rear rim to match the design of the front, then only need to outlay for the rear rim.

I got a nice response from Michelin Thailand! Note that Michelin don't have a 120/80, and that Michelin Uk recommend a 3.00" minimum for the 130 tyre

Here is the answers of your question.

I have a Honda CBR motorbike with rear rim size of 2.15" . I have the Michelin Pilot Sporty 100/80-17 fitted at the moment.

What is the largest size tyre I could go on this rim, would the 110/80 or 130/80 Pilot Sporty fit?

Ans:The largest tire size could be for rim size 2.15" : 110/80-17,

if you use 130/80 you have to change the rim to be at least 2.50".

Also could you please give me the dimensions for the Pilot Sporty 130/80-17 & 130/70-17

I would like to know:

- the rolling diameter

Ans of 130/80-17 = 640 mm.

of 130/70-17 = 614 mm.

- actual width of the tyre (i.e. measurement at sidewall to sidewall at widest part)

of 130/80-17 = 129 mm.

of 130/70-17 = 129 mm.

- smallest size wheel rim these tyres could fit on

Ans: smallest rim size = 2.50"

We hope that these informations are useful.

Must say the Pilot Sporty is my prefered choice of tyre......

As the standard tyre rolling diameter is 585 approx, it seems the 130/70 would be the better choice??? Already approximately 30mm bigger, so geared up. the 640 dia would maybe lose too much acceleration.....unless getting more HP from the engine.

next thing tho.....is the 130/70/17 available in Thailand?? And price?

Wheels......came across some nice ones on the net last night......carbon so light weight......but arrrrrr... GBP 1500 each!! a bit over 83,000 Baht!! Actually....carbon stuff is up my alley...maybe I should set up to make some?? Joking really...but then again...maybe not........

I have been wanting a new silencer/ muffler/ baffle, whatever you call it where you come from, for some time now. My problem has been in getting a a qualitative answer on the noise level increase a given model will produce. I want to increase air flow, I don't want much of a noise increase. When I was a kid I would run a straight pipe and think it was cool. Today I like bikes that sound good, not offensive.

Anyhow I can't get an answer from a shop, so I will present two (silencers?) and hopefully someone will be able to share some knowledge on the issue. Both of these models are available at aseanmoto.c_m. One is Endurance brand, the other is NMF

Have been emailing aseanmoto today about the NMF exhaust you mentioned and got a price etc. The NMF comes with what they call a "noise killer" which in their email they describe as a smaller hole on the exhaust outlet. Will this smaller outlet in the exhaust not restrict the performance? He also mentioned as I'm in Thailand a "technic" to reduce exhaust noise further which would cost an additional 700 Baht. So, does the "noise killer" limit performance and is it really necessary to further reduce noise on this system?

P.S. If you look at pic on post #1088 you will see NMF exhaust. Can't figure how to attach it myself :)

Edited by JUDAS

Here's a link to post 1088.

And here's the picture.

post-a86894-NMF-cbr150-LNK.jpg

**edit**

A smaller hole will likely reduce power. Another option however is to repack the can itself with more/denser glassfibre. The rivets near the end of the carbon are simply drilled out and the end piece and inner sleeve is slid out. Packing is put in around the inner sleeve and it's all put back together and the end piece riveted back on.

Still waiting to find out what DCU is. Also waiting for the daiichialloy to get back to me, but I'm not expecting it any time soon.

Edited by dave_boo

Thanks for the info dave_boo and nice to know from now on we've got a new thread started for cbr 150 performance/tuning etc.

How do we get the KNOWN info from the existing thread, into the new one - and also to make sure it's correct?

Do we volunteer to cut/paste/post - I guess you can edit them afterward?

Jeff

Thanks for the info dave_boo and nice to know from now on we've got a new thread started for cbr 150 performance/tuning etc.
How do we get the KNOWN info from the existing thread, into the new one - and also to make sure it's correct?

Do we volunteer to cut/paste/post - I guess you can edit them afterward?

Jeff

I'm not a designated moderator for this sub-forum, but I care about CBR threads. I suggest you find a post in this thread that you think belongs in the parts/performance thread. Either cut and paste it, or link it.

Gentlemen;

In case you did not know how to link the specific post, you right click on the post number at the top and choose "Copy Shortcut". In the CBR Information thread you than type or paste in the relevant information, highlight it and choose the button on the top of the posting box that has the little plus sign on the icon. Paste the copied post number into the dialouge box and hit enter.

This will allow us to copy select parts out of this thread and still provide a link for background information for those who want to explore it further.

Earlier in th forum oMega69 mentioned he fitted the NMF with noise killer but was still too loud so took it off. Mind you, that was their racing one with a DB killer fitted, I think they are making bigger muffler/can to help with this. I am going to try the Endurance with noise killer, hopefuilly they can pack it more. The truth is even if it was 'street legal' the cops will still fine you, but i suppose if it is quieter they ae less likely to turn their heads your way!

I got my mechanic to call Daiichi Alloy, they won't do a wheel for the CBR. Akunar have been asking around but no luck.

The options for wheels and tyres seem to be:

Standard rims - 90/80 front & 100/80 Michelin Pilot Sporty

- 100/80 front & 110/80 Michelin Pilot Sporty/Pirelli Speed Demon

- 100/80 front & 120/80 rear Dunlop TT900GP

All the tyres above are within the recommended rim width for the CBR.

Larger rims - can’t find any new aftermarket alloy wheel to fit!

- Machimura wire wheel 2.5” & 3.5”

- 2nd hand rear wheel ( maybe an impossible task without modifying)

130/70 would be best for any of these larger rim set ups, along as the rim is at least 3.00”

Personally I want the alloy wheel look, so the Machimura wire is out. I might pursue getting a wheel off a bigger bike, my mechanic says he has modified wheels before and understands about treating the wheel after welding, I don’t feel comfortable with modifying but maybe if it is just the stud holes it might be okay? If this is not possible then I will get a 120/80 for the rear, Dunlop is the only one that I can find that makes one, but was told it has to be imported from France, need to verify this. If you don’t want to muck around then the 90/80 front & 100/80 Michelin Pilot Sporty set up is great.

As for the 130/70 on a standard rim see the pics Songoku777 put up.