Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

Earlier in th forum oMega69 mentioned he fitted the NMF with noise killer but was still too loud so took it off. Mind you, that was their racing one with a DB killer fitted, I think they are making bigger muffler/can to help with this. I am going to try the Endurance with noise killer, hopefuilly they can pack it more. The truth is even if it was 'street legal' the cops will still fine you, but i suppose if it is quieter they ae less likely to turn their heads your way!

I got my mechanic to call Daiichi Alloy, they won't do a wheel for the CBR. Akunar have been asking around but no luck.

The options for wheels and tyres seem to be:

Standard rims - 90/80 front & 100/80 Michelin Pilot Sporty

- 100/80 front & 110/80 Michelin Pilot Sporty/Pirelli Speed Demon

- 100/80 front & 120/80 rear Dunlop TT900GP

All the tyres above are within the recommended rim width for the CBR.

Larger rims - can't find any new aftermarket alloy wheel to fit!

- Machimura wire wheel 2.5" & 3.5"

- 2nd hand rear wheel ( maybe an impossible task without modifying)

130/70 would be best for any of these larger rim set ups, along as the rim is at least 3.00"

Personally I want the alloy wheel look, so the Machimura wire is out. I might pursue getting a wheel off a bigger bike, my mechanic says he has modified wheels before and understands about treating the wheel after welding, I don't feel comfortable with modifying but maybe if it is just the stud holes it might be okay? If this is not possible then I will get a 120/80 for the rear, Dunlop is the only one that I can find that makes one, but was told it has to be imported from France, need to verify this. If you don't want to muck around then the 90/80 front & 100/80 Michelin Pilot Sporty set up is great.

As for the 130/70 on a standard rim see the pics Songoku777 put up.

There is an advert for tyres in the TV bikes for sale forum, I got this reply yesterday.......his addy and ph # deleted but check his ad

out and his contact is there.

Hi,

We have MT75 coming in beginning of next month which is:

90/80-17: 1,580

110/80-17: 1,650

We recomend you 1 size up. For further questions or query pls call me on

Charlie

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who didn't know, the Pirelli MT 75 are shown below. The product datasheet can be found here (warning, pdf).

MT7503.jpg

Seeing as how there 50-70 USD in the States (1 700-2 000 THB), that's a hel_l of a buy. Who's in for it and trying to get a group discount (yes, I'm a cheap bastard)?

P.S., I have the guy's phone number.

I sent an email to him (Charlie) about going bigger...here is his reply...............and yes I thought the priceing was good too!!

The standard size for CBR150 is

80/90-17 front and 100/80-17 rear

1 size up would be

90/80-17 front and 110/80-17 rear

We don’t recommend putting any bigger tyres otherwise it will jeopardize the handling and grip as the tyre walls get squeezed to fit the rims making the tyres out of designed shape.

If you still prefer 120/70-17 Sport Demon: 2,400

I just sent off an email asking about bigger rims...but really, dont expect he will have or can get.

My main problem is I am not in Bkk, so a hassle going there to get, or have fitted.

Well, seems that we have at least 2 that want to buy those tyres. Perhaps we can get a BKK member to be our point of contact and slip him a bit extra to EMS the tires out to us that live in the sticks?

Dave Boo where are you? I am in Rayong. I do have a contact that goes regulary to Bkk, just maybe I can get him to pick up?

I definately want upgrade asap as driving in the rain is hopefully less risky with the upgraded tyres.

Well, seems that we have at least 2 that want to buy those tyres. Perhaps we can get a BKK member to be our point of contact and slip him a bit extra to EMS the tires out to us that live in the sticks?

Dave Boo where are you? I am in Rayong. I do have a contact that goes regulary to Bkk, just maybe I can get him to pick up?

I definately want upgrade asap as driving in the rain is hopefully less risky with the upgraded tyres.

Tooling to make Carbon rims is way too complicated to be viable, in my opnion. (the hubs are the problem, rest is easy) Howvere, I slept on it last nite.....and now I know how I can use Carbon rims on the origonal alloy hubs. I am going to go ahead with this and set up a set of wheels with 2.75 front and 3.5 rear rims with tentively 100/70/17 front and 130/60/17 rear tyres. Can then compare directly by simply changing wheels. If the widening is successful (as I expect it to be, or I wouldnt start) I will make available to other owners also.

Tooling to make Carbon rims is way too complicated to be viable, in my opnion. (the hubs are the problem, rest is easy) Howvere, I slept on it last nite.....and now I know how I can use Carbon rims on the origonal alloy hubs. I am going to go ahead with this and set up a set of wheels with 2.75 front and 3.5 rear rims with tentively 100/70/17 front and 130/60/17 rear tyres. Can then compare directly by simply changing wheels. If the widening is successful (as I expect it to be, or I wouldnt start) I will make available to other owners also.

I am interested in how you will test these wheels to make sure they will not fail after 5 years of riding, hitting pot-holes, etc..

If one of these fails at 170KPH it would not be fun.

thanks,

Jeff

This sounds like an interesting project, but I would caution you that working with carbon fiber composites for high stress applications has to be done with a lot of engineering. We used carbon fiber pressure vessels for very high altitude avionics where I used to work, and the failure modes we experienced were very surprising and also very sudden. In one case, a cubic foot container was reduced to a pile of carbon fiber toothpicks. Even with experienced engineers working on the designs, it wasn't as fail-safe as metals.

This sounds like an interesting project, but I would caution you that working with carbon fiber composites for high stress applications has to be done with a lot of engineering. We used carbon fiber pressure vessels for very high altitude avionics where I used to work, and the failure modes we experienced were very surprising and also very sudden. In one case, a cubic foot container was reduced to a pile of carbon fiber toothpicks. Even with experienced engineers working on the designs, it wasn't as fail-safe as metals.

Carbon fiber can be used for frames, swingarms, even transmissions (I bet you knew that) but they are tested methodically until they fail and then they are used within the parameter that allow safe use. Sometimes, this isn't even good enough as you see in formula 1 racing - where no expense is spared in design and testing! I think that if you can make wheels by hand that's cool, but they will break.

Nakhon Sawan

Carbon fiber can be used for frames, swingarms, even transmissions (I bet you knew that) but they are tested methodically until they fail and then they are used within the parameter that allow safe use. Sometimes, this isn't even good enough as you see in formula 1 racing - where no expense is spared in design and testing! I think that if you can make wheels by hand that's cool, but they will break.

Carbon M/Bike wheels are readily available commercially for both track and road use. But do cost a large fortune, which basically rules them out for a little CBR150.

They are certified as replacment wheels by several well known manufacturers of bikes.....including Ducatti Suzuki to mention 2.

Here is just one of many Q & A from one carbon wheel manufacturer.

Q: How much safer are Carbon Fibre wheels than standard wheels?

A: Carbon Fibre wheels have been in existence for some considerable time and have been proven to be safe when designed and manufactured properly and, as with any wheel, used within their design parameters. One of the parameters is the maximum static weight of the motorcycle for which the wheels are designed (BlackStone Tek wheels are designed for motorcycles that weigh up to 280kg dry) and have more than adequate strength and damage tolerance for any usage within a road/street, sport or race environment. Safety is dependant on more than just strength, though, and whenever a bike becomes more easily controllable because of better dynamic characteristics, active safety is enhanced too.

Of cousre I dont have the engineering or testing facilities of F! or MotoGp available, But I have been resposible for engineering carbon products that guys lives depend on. I havent lost anyone yet...hopefully I wont be the first.

The exercise to me is more of a "project" or "play" than anything else. I have several "Mod" ideas for my bike and the wider rims/tyres will compliment those. The wheels will be over engineered, I am not looking at weight savings...just the looks and because it appears no other economical option of wider wheels are available.

I am looking at turning the bike into a "Show Bike" by end of year as I will be replacing it with a 600cc 4cyl bike. I already have a CBR 400 that I am currently modding top to bottom, and when that is finished will be starting on the 150.

Re Pirreli MT75 tyres.

The reply I got re delivery date;

The shipment is scheduled to arrive by second week of August. Please advise your contact phone number so we can call you when they arrive.

I will go ahead with a purchase definately. I emailed asking about delivery to here, (Rayong) in preference to taking a trip to Bkk and having them fitted there. From the stories in the forum about BIB and the traffic...I think a delivery charge may be the cheapest option.

Re Pirreli MT75 tyres.

The shipment is scheduled to arrive by second week of August. Please advise your contact phone number so we can call you when they arrive.

I will go ahead with a purchase definately. I emailed asking about delivery to here, (Rayong) in preference to taking a trip to Bkk and having them fitted there. From the stories in the forum about BIB and the traffic...I think a delivery charge may be the cheapest option.

I'd have them delivered also.....I'm in for a buy....who else?

Re Pirreli MT75 tyres.

I'm possibly interested in buying only problem is I don't yet have a bike to put them on. I'm possibly going to buy a cbr in the next couple of weeks though and would like to put proper tyres on immediately. I do live in Bangkok if that helps so would be happy to be a guinea pig or help anyone with delivery.

I'll let people know if I get the bike for sure.

Re Pirreli MT75 tyres.

I'm possibly interested in buying only problem is I don't yet have a bike to put them on. I'm possibly going to buy a cbr in the next couple of weeks though and would like to put proper tyres on immediately. I do live in Bangkok if that helps so would be happy to be a guinea pig or help anyone with delivery.

Sorry I got sidetracked - but I may buy a cbr tomorrow and it's got the standard IRC tires.

Is this the "larger size than recommended" tire buy (for looks) ?

Otherwise, aren't the michelin pilots and/or the Dunlops the superior tire for handling (turning,braking)?

I thought this fact was noted in previous threads. I don't remember reading that anyone put on and liked the Pirellis.

So, why are you guys wanting the Pirelli's?

Thanks,

Jeff

The stock IRC are about as safe as blowing up a condom and knotting them into a donught around your rims. Replacing them with a real brand is good for peace of mind.

They're bigger simply because it's hard to find the 'proper' sized tyres in LOS and they'll ride a bit better due to more rubber to act as a shock absorber.

They'll look better if your vain also.

**edit**

I've used Pirellis on all my cars so I'd be willing to be a guinea pig to see if they work as well on our CBR.

Edited by dave_boo

Hey guys,

Anyone here know where i can order or that can buy for me and send to me ( Ill pay for everything ofc ) a sparkplug ( Denso Iridium IU-27 - Denso Iridium IU-27A ). Also What length does the throttle cable has to be for the 28mm keihin pwk carb?

Thanks

Andreas

Re Pirreli MT75 tyres.

Sorry I got sidetracked - but I may buy a cbr tomorrow and it's got the standard IRC tires.

Is this the "larger size than recommended" tire buy (for looks) ?

Otherwise, aren't the michelin pilots and/or the Dunlops the superior tire for handling (turning,braking)?

I thought this fact was noted in previous threads. I don't remember reading that anyone put on and liked the Pirellis.

So, why are you guys wanting the Pirelli's?

Thanks,

Jeff

From the info I can find the Michelin Pilot Sporties can only be had up size 100. Rear (in thailand) The pirrellies go bigger but the "experts" reccomend no bigger than 110/70/17 rear because of rim width. hence the decision to go to pirrelli.

I am definately going ahead with tooling for 2.75 front and 3.5" rear rims so can go up to 100/80 and 130/70 which is the biggest that fits in the frame. I will have 2 complete wheel sets so relatively easy to interchange. But Like I mentioned in an earlier post...it is a "play" for me. If it works great...if it doesnt...oh well I can sell the low milage tyres cheap...or buy a bike that they fit on.

To those who dont like their bikes becoming an alocholic...

howtotestfuelforalcohol.jpg

One other thing.. i found my CBR likes to have a wider sparking gap when using E10 fuel -ofcourse this also requires some re-tuning of the carby.

Btw., lot of folks in my country like pirellis since they have good traction and ..IMO.. the 'fitment' looks really good on CBR stock rims (ie 130/70 & 110/70). Not too flat, not too pointy. However it's a fact that these sizes really put on considerable weight on the engine -as a lot of CBR150 users from where i come from who have pirellis on do comment.

Edited by songoku777

The stock IRC are about as safe as blowing up a condom and knotting them into a donught around your rims.

That's funny - So with the IRC you are 'unprotected' - you better watch where you drive? :)

Was eating at a Mexican restaurant tonight when there was a ruckus at the front window. The waitress called me over to show my beloved and (up to now undinged) bike laying on its side in the headlights of a car with the driver, an old lady talking on her cell phone. A few of the customers saw her hit my bike, push it forward, and then saw it fall as she backed up. So I go out there in the rain and she denies hitting it! She spoke good English, but once she knew there were witnesses, she switched to Thai. Haven't had much of a chance to look at it with the rain, but it looks like the left mirror and the clutch handle took the brunt of it. Hopefully no internal injuries. I have her phone number, and she gave me 300 baht at the end. Arggghhhhh.

Was eating at a Mexican restaurant tonight when there was a ruckus at the front window. The waitress called me over to show my beloved and (up to now undinged) bike laying on its side in the headlights of a car with the driver, an old lady talking on her cell phone. A few of the customers saw her hit my bike, push it forward, and then saw it fall as she backed up. So I go out there in the rain and she denies hitting it! She spoke good English, but once she knew there were witnesses, she switched to Thai. Haven't had much of a chance to look at it with the rain, but it looks like the left mirror and the clutch handle took the brunt of it. Hopefully no internal injuries. I have her phone number, and she gave me 300 baht at the end. Arggghhhhh.

That suxx :/ ..maybe the 300 was for some aspirins in the event of a cold, plus a rain coat or umbrella..

Hope u / or she got insurance to cover it.

Ok, as noted before, I have a new CBR 15 (black), and while I love the bike, I'm not crazy about the stock black wheels (rims) and would love to switch to chrome, or polished aluminum, but can't find anyone who can do that. Anyone here know where I can find some, or get the stock ones chrome plated?

Ok, as noted before, I have a new CBR 15 (black), and while I love the bike, I'm not crazy about the stock black wheels (rims) and would love to switch to chrome, or polished aluminum, but can't find anyone who can do that. Anyone here know where I can find some, or get the stock ones chrome plated?

Hey, im not an expert about getting stuff chromed.. but if you look down on this page you can see someone asking about re-chroming something..and there is a shop mentioned in that thread ( bkk ) that can do stuff.. im not sure if they do wheels though.

/peace

Not sure if it is a good idea to chrome plate the wheels. It would be a fiddly job to highly polish the alloy. Maybe look at ceramic coating or probably the best way is powder coating.

From past experience I think???? (fairly sure) that alloy cannot be crome plated. For a start you need a high standard of finish before plating because any visiable imperfection will be magnified by the chroming. Also cast alloy is essentially porous so the chrome will magnify that also. I suspect a dissapointing result even if it can be done.

However, if you really do want Chrome wheels there is a process that can give a 95% chrome finish available in Bkk.

I think I cannot give contact details here, but PM me and I can tell you where to get it done.

If you want see an example...check out the rapper 50 cents Lamboghini...he had that process done.

Price??? I have no idea.

I am going to have some bike parts done in the not too distant future and I was considering the wheels also.