I got my 30 days extension denied today

2 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

Completely agree Peter, and i will be taking advantage of this when my finances settle (although it's not peanuts for me!). I do wish the price reflected the amount of years though (1 million for 20yrs - 5yrs for 500k!) For now though, is there any way to use my income to set up a company get a business visa? I can show my money comes from abroad easily.

Hi, unfortunately I am not knowledgeable re the requirements for a Business Visa.

But @ubonjoe will surely be able to provide some answers on that one.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

For now though, is there any way to use my income to set up a company and get a business visa? I can show my money comes from abroad easily.

You have to set up a real company doing business with 4 thai employees and etc to apply for a  work permit needed to apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category B) entry.

After that you can get a one year extension of stay and you need to be paid a 50k baht monthly salary proved by tax payments.

• Thanks 2

Having 4 thai 'employees' wouldn't be an issue, they wouldn't actually be paid though - family members from my GF. They may even be listed as directors to get around that. Please forgive my ignorance if i've stated something stupid, i'm not aware of the steps involved. paying tax wouldn't be an issue, i would be happy to contribute! Does this sound possible? how much money would i need to start up please? Thank you very much for your response.

6 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

Having 4 thai 'employees' wouldn't be an issue, they wouldn't actually be paid though - family members from my GF. They may even be listed as directors to get around that. Please forgive my ignorance if i've stated something stupid, i'm not aware of the steps involved. paying tax wouldn't be an issue, i would be happy to contribute! Does this sound possible? how much money would i need to start up please? Thank you very much for your response.

Have look here at the requirements to apply for the non-b visa at immigration.

https://bangkokimmigration.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/01-edit_NON-B.pdf

If you could leave the country and apply at embassy or consulate the requirements would not be as high to get the non-b visa.

After getting the visa then there is the requirements to get a extension based upon working that are strict also. Click number 1 here.

https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?p=14714

• Thanks 2

Having a quick look at your links, it looks like i could set up a branch office/overseas company as an international company, and avoid most of the difficult criteria, such as having 4 employees (reduced to 1), 2 million investment and financial statements. Have i read this correctly?

thanks again

Edited by 2530Ubon

4 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

Having a quick look at your links, it looks like i could set up a branch office/overseas company as an international company, and avoid most of the difficult criteria, such as having 4 employees (reduced to 1), 2 million investment and financial statements. Have i read this correctly?

You would need a existing company outside of Thailand to do it and then register the branch office.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

So could I take the existing contract for the company i work for (lists me as a consultant - not an employee - with an hourly wage) to set up a branch office here under my name + consultancy ltd?

You would have to have documents from the company you are registering and etc. The branch or representative office has to under the company name not yours.

The business guide has some info about doing the registration and etc. It is a bit old but it has not changed very much since 2014.

BusinessGuide 2014.pdf

• Thanks 1

SUPER HELPFUL! Thank you very much. I shall read this very thoroughly before any more posts! Hopefully i can set something international up, as none of my money comes from Thailand - i just want to pay tax on my earnings and have a visa too.

Again, thank you very much for your assistance.

7 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

thanks again

It is very difficult to get approval for a branch office of an overseas company. The Thai authorities need to be convinced that there are economic benefits for Thailand in approving the application. I am familiar with two companies (one Australian based, the other based on the UK) who tried using major law firms. Neither succeeded.

In the end, quickest and easiest if you want to stay for an extended period will be the Thailand Elite membership. It will ultimately probably end up cheaper too.

im not surprised. I had non-o multi and never extended it before. Both Nonthaburi and khon Kaen IO refused to extend my visa for.. actually not the right reasons. Nonthaburi told me my visa is expired ( which is wrong because it expired on 9th May which is under amnesty and cannot expire) Khon Kaen IO was ok with the 'expired' visa but it seems they didnt study Math in the school and also in police academy because they just made mistake with my salary and numbers. And they didnt accept even though i proved them they were wrong. So basically if they say no after checking your docs in 5 min, just say ok and leave. 

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

im not surprised. I had non-o multi and never extended it before. Both Nonthaburi and khon Kaen IO refused to extend my visa for.. actually not the right reasons. Nonthaburi told me my visa is expired ( which is wrong because it expired on 9th May which is under amnesty and cannot expire) Khon Kaen IO was ok with the 'expired' visa but it seems they didnt study Math in the school and also in police academy because they just made mistake with my salary and numbers. And they didnt accept even though i proved them they were wrong. So basically if they say no after checking your docs in 5 min, just say ok and leave. 

When the officer handling your application refuses it, but you know that you are correct and he/she is making a mistake, you should proceed as follows:

1 - Politely point out that you meet the requirements (preferably with a copy of the Immigration rules proving your point);

2 - If due to the 'face loss' the officer is not willing to handle your application, then politely ask to talk to the officer in charge to plead your case.

If he/she not available, you can also call IO Helpline 1178 while at the officers desk.

3 - If in spite of Helpline confirming your view, the officer stays adamant then politely ask when the officer in charge will be available and make an appointment to plead your case.

>> Note: When the desk officer understands that you are not easily 'brushed off' like most farangs that get a Cannot reply, he might reconsider his stance because the face loss of him being overruled by the officer in charge is of course higher than pretending to show some leniency in your case.  Just play the game, don't act triumphant but pretend being thankful that the officer is willing to make 'an exception' for you.

Edited by Peter Denis

1 hour ago, problemfarang said:

Nonthaburi told me my visa is expired ( which is wrong because it expired on 9th May which is under amnesty and cannot expire)

That is not true, the Visa will expire according to the date on the Visa stamp.... it is your permission of stay that was extended by amnesty. 

2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

3 - If in spite of Helpline confirming your view, the officer stays adamant then politely ask when the officer in charge will be available and make an appointment to plead your case.

>> Note: When the desk officer understands that you are not easily 'brushed off' like most farangs that get a Cannot reply, he might reconsider his stance because the face loss of him being overruled by the officer in charge is of course higher than pretending to show some leniency in your case.  Just play the game, don't act triumphant but pretend being thankful that the officer is willing to make 'an exception' for you.

nice THEORY, BUT,  BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG BUT

in reality ...I spoke to the head or boss of the IO

called my lawyer ... gave to boss / head of immigration

the superior started to argue with my lawyer that SHE KNOWS everything and my lawyer nothing

IO / boss whatever did not want to provide my extension

I heard from my child (thai chatter from people at IO) ,  that they were ABOUT TO THROW ME OUT because I did not want to leave with getting help.

We decide to go, before it escalated...

3 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

nice THEORY, BUT,  BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG BUT

in reality ...I spoke to the head or boss of the IO

called my lawyer ... gave to boss / head of immigration

the superior started to argue with my lawyer that SHE KNOWS everything and my lawyer nothing

IO / boss whatever did not want to provide my extension

I heard from my child (thai chatter from people at IO) ,  that they were ABOUT TO THROW ME OUT because I did not want to leave with getting help.

We decide to go, before it escalated...

Sorry to hear about the problems you encountered.

But obviously, you have reached the end of the line if also the officer in charge of the IO is not willing to accept your application.

In such cases, only relocating to a province with a more accommodating IO would solve the issue (provided of course that you are indeed correct and that the other IO you relocated to follows you in that).

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2020 at 7:02 PM, Stevie1982 said:

Hi Edward.

I'm not to sure what the deal was with the tambon, its the first time I have been asked for that from the office in ubon.

Last time I reported that i was back staying at the house was in February when I came back from savannaket. 

I'm sure they would be OK with others getting an extension if they were up here a few days or so and had the relevant documentation. 

Thanks.

Thanks for being the first to report about Ubon accepting tourist visa extensions. I stayed in a local hotel and everything was fine - no need to show them any extra documents like a TM30 printout. I planned to visit Sam Phan Bok but it seems there's no way of getting there if you don't have your own transport. Samui and Chiang Mai are better options if you want to do something touristy after extending your visa but Ubon is quite nice in its own small town way and the airport is very close to the town centre with a good metred taxi and air conditioned bus service.

Edited by edwardandtubs
  • Like 1