What was that about water and electricity ...

Crossy

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Not the best way to test the theory, but pure water does not conduct electricity, and rainwater is supposed to be pure.

There needs to be salts in the water for conduction.

Not true.

Electricity needs "ions" to move in electrolyte. Distilled water contains no ions and does not conduct electricity. Rain water has dissolved salts and acids that dissociate easily into ions. Rain water is therefore able to conduct electricity.Oct 12, 2017

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Not true.

Electricity needs "ions" to move in electrolyte. Distilled water contains no ions and does not conduct electricity. Rain water has dissolved salts and acids that dissociate easily into ions. Rain water is therefore able to conduct electricity.Oct 12, 2017

You are wrong. Rain water is vapourised water, no different to distilled water. Any impurities in rain water come from the local atmosphere and at the moment the atmosphere is cleaner than it has been for decades.

You would have to prove the rain water had picked the appropriate impurities before it becomes definitive that electricity would be conducted.

Reality is that the conductivity of rain water will vary quite significantly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

You are wrong. Rain water is vaporised water, no different to distilled water. Any impurities in rain water come from the local atmosphere and at the moment the atmosphere is cleaner than it has been for decades.

You would have to prove the rain water had picked the appropriate impurities before it becomes definitive that electricity would be conducted.

Reality is that the conductivity of rain water will vary quite significantly.

From Research Gate.

9th Nov, 2016

Fangxia Zhu

RephiLe Bioscience Ltd.

Pure water does not contain any ions and is neutral. However, once the pure water is exposed to air, its purity will drop rapidly. Even if only a few minutes, pH will be a significant decline. This is because the carbon dioxide in the air reacts with water to produce carbonic acid.

The hydrogen ion (H +) released by carbonic acid ionization decreases the pH of the water. The reaction is very rapid and the resistivity of pure water exposed to air drops from 18.2 MΩ · cm to 4 MΩ · cm in 60 minutes. Therefore, we advocate to use pure water as soon as possible, rather than storage.

15 hours ago, aussie11950 said:

From Research Gate.

9th Nov, 2016

Fangxia Zhu

RephiLe Bioscience Ltd.

Pure water does not contain any ions and is neutral. However, once the pure water is exposed to air, its purity will drop rapidly. Even if only a few minutes, pH will be a significant decline. This is because the carbon dioxide in the air reacts with water to produce carbonic acid.

The hydrogen ion (H +) released by carbonic acid ionization decreases the pH of the water. The reaction is very rapid and the resistivity of pure water exposed to air drops from 18.2 MΩ · cm to 4 MΩ · cm in 60 minutes. Therefore, we advocate to use pure water as soon as possible, rather than storage.

I don't know what you are trying to say.

If you wish to believe that rain water does not start life as distilled water that is up to you, time to understand what google is trying to tell you.

You may not have noticed but I did say the conductance would vary, the question is, at what point does it become high enough for the current to have any noticeable effect, a bit like earth leakage.

Enough to say I for one wouldn't stick my fingers in the water, human conductance also varies very significantly.

37 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I don't know what you are trying to say.

If you wish to believe that rain water does not start life as distilled water that is up to you, time to understand what google is trying to tell you.

You may not have noticed but I did say the conductance would vary, the question is, at what point does it become high enough for the current to have any noticeable effect, a bit like earth leakage.

Enough to say I for one wouldn't stick my fingers in the water, human conductance also varies very significantly.

I agree in what you say, but even if the water is contaminated with salts or other, electricity is transmitted only if there is a negative discharge point on the ground, in this case nothing exactly happens to the electricity meter even if the water is contaminated because the electricity meter is insulated and contains the contaminated water colored without loss until it overflows, then the electricity company will ask for money to install a new meter if you still want to receive electricity in the house, this is normal Thailand life.

5 hours ago, ICELANDMAN said:

I agree in what you say, but even if the water is contaminated with salts or other, electricity is transmitted only if there is a negative discharge point on the ground, in this case nothing exactly happens to the electricity meter even if the water is contaminated because the electricity meter is insulated and contains the contaminated water colored without loss until it overflows, then the electricity company will ask for money to install a new meter if you still want to receive electricity in the house, this is normal Thailand life.

Quite. A certain level of current has to pass before physical damage starts to occur. People get sidetracked by electric shock which is quite different. The presence of water combined with natural oils would cause a reduction in skin contact resistance and the current required to cause fibrillation in the heart is only a fraction of what would be required to cause overheating and failure of some sort in equipment.