Dangerous Thailand: Iron bar at perfect head height to kill a motorcyclist - but the police do nothing

webfact

I was walking down a pavement and there was a awning support in the way ,I lifted it a little to get by , a thaiman came out will a iron bar to threaten me with for touching the support , when I took it off him his wife called the police , the police said to me walk on the road not the pavement . 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Grumpy one said:

What's all the fuss about.

This pick-up truck is no different to thousands of others that are over sized and over loaded.

No one seems to bother about any of them, especially the police.

In the event of someone being killed the driver will sprout some cock and bull story that is accepted along wit 500 baht and a wai  :jap:

Same with my Thai D-I-L's family. In cases like this they have a strong attitude of 'not my problem, people have to take care of themselves'.

And that includes members of the family driving dangerously, many times my son has said to them things like 'the light was already red, who don't you stop'. Their response 'you can't tell me what to do'. I don't agree with traffic lights, it's up to me, other people have to take care of themselves.'

5 hours ago, SteveK said:

I remember the very first time I came to Thailand many years ago. I was talking to a woman in Bangkok, the previous day she had been robbed. Didn't lose too much, not the end of the world, but I asked her "why didn't you call the police?". She told me "what's the point, they won't come unless I pay them, and then they'll do nothing". I was flabbergasted at the time, now I fully understand the situation. The concept of having to pay the police, of all people, to get something done was anathema to me back then, but the police doing nothing was a concept I was familiar with.  

"but I asked her "why didn't you call the police?". She told me "what's the point, they won't come unless I pay them, and then they'll do nothing".

More or less the same as I heard from a Thai woman........who had been raped.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Complete and total lack of proactiveness on all fronts. 

Not all fronts.

A great amount of proactiveness involved in ensuring that there is no proactiveness from the general public.

Passivity is intensely indoctrinated into the people of Thailand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Foghorn said:

I was walking down a pavement and there was a awning support in the way ,I lifted it a little to get by , a thaiman came out will a iron bar to threaten me with for touching the support , when I took it off him his wife called the police , the police said to me walk on the road not the pavement . 

Confrontation with Thai people no good.

But OK you have confrontation with Thai people car and have broken legs.

Falang not understand.

THIS POST WAS PRESENTED TO YOU IN YINNAROUND

Edited by Enoon

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Exactly that.....  There is no concept of being ‘pro-active’ in Thailand. 

Someone who is pro-active is seen as a trouble maker. Why make so much fuss about something which may or may not cause a problem, its potentially wasted effort. 

Instead, fein outrage, shock, horror when something like this causes a crazy accident. 

Imagine if any motorcyclist decided this was too much and pulled their motorcycle in front of the vehicle, got it to stop and created an issue there and then, right there on the road, waited for the police to arrive and pointed out the ‘deadly hazard’...  Would the police have made the driver of the pickup make is load safe, or would the Policeman chastise the motorcyclists for ‘causing a problem’ ???? - therein lies the problem - Complete and total lack of proactiveness on all fronts. 

Just stupidity all round really.

9 hours ago, Grumpy one said:

What's all the fuss about.

This pick-up truck is no different to thousands of others that are over sized and over loaded.

No one seems to bother about any of them, especially the police.

In the event of someone being killed the driver will sprout some cock and bull story that is accepted along wit 500 baht and a wai  :jap:

Exactly, some idiot driving a car who can't put his mobile phone down, get a bloody life and live and let live. 

How on Earth am I even given the chance to comment on this?

5 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I banged my head 72 times in the 90's, walking down lower Sukhumvit and fell down a hole once. There were so many obstacles I had to look down and up at the same time. Never thought of taking a video or photos, just got on with life. 

Can't say you're wrong. 

Sometimes though it's nice to let steam off a bit then you get back to the usual don't give a big rats patouie.

I suppose it all boils to 'if you can't take a joke then you shouldn't have joined'.

????

9 hours ago, sapson said:

A seventy year old man in Nakhon Nowhere sitting in the rice paddies on overstay and a task force is mobilized, BMWs, mob handed cameraman etc.....to bring the heinous criminal to justice......

Yet idiocy and total negligence likely to cause death or serious injury is mai pen rai.

This should tell you everything you need to know about this country and its inhabitants. 

And educated people still want to pile money into this place and skirt around laws to 'live' here. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Exactly that.....  There is no concept of being ‘pro-active’ in Thailand. 

Hit the nail on the head. Most people here don't think past the end of the day. There is no proactive thinking, only delayed, useless knee-jerk responses to things that happen. Plus a lot of the people I have met here are convinced that they're the smartest people on the planet after an incredible 4 years at school......

If someone's doing something dangerous here, the attitude is if nothing happens then it is always "mai pen rai". Then if something happens it's "whoops". They still aren't doing anything about the road deaths. Sometimes I think that someone's putting something in the water here. A heavy metal, perhaps. 

Edited by SteveK

Several times in Ubon I've seen massively overloaded trucks, accidents waiting to happen. Sometimes with huge, very sharp bundles of re-bar extending for many feet past the back of the vehicle, poorly secured. My first instinct is to contact the police so I discuss it with my wife who just says it's not our problem, don't get involved, what do you think you will achieve? The concept of potentially saving someone's life doesn't even compute, the concept of "it's not my problem, don't get involved" overrules everything.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, webfact said:

Dangerous Thailand: Iron bar at perfect head height to kill a motorcyclist - but the police do nothing

'coarse the thing about this headline and some of the posts is we don't know where this guy has come from and have any police actually seen this. 

15 hours ago, webfact said:

They quoted a storm of negative and critical comments including some that suggested "the police do nothing". 

So this is where the headline comes from. Pitiful and juvinile. 

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

They quoted a storm of negative and critical comments including some that suggested "the police do nothing". 

The police don't "patrol". However, if the driver was to pass a checkpoint, he'd be in for a hefty 200 baht fine before being waved on! 

• Like 1

Pathetic, Ive seen way  better than that, scaffold  poles probably 6  metres  long hanging off the back of a pick up whilst it does a u turn on a 3  lane  road, pole so  long it hung over the  3rd  lane almost into the second lane and only because I pay  attention did I see this  moron.

NEVER  forget you are driving with total <deleted> idiots at  all times with NO care to themselves or ANYONE else.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

The police don't "patrol". However, if the driver was to pass a checkpoint, he'd be in for a hefty 200 baht fine before being waved on! 

But  no problem if the load was 10  metres high on their vehicles