U.S. Homeland Security warns that Russia is trying to undermine confidence in mail-in voting

webfact

5 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

The best that I can come up with as regards to political donors related to the China is this link.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/political-donors-linked-to-china-won-access-to-trump-gop-11592925569

Interesting article, thank you.

The report I was thinking of was by William Evanina, the US intelligence community's top election security official. It was covered by all the usual news source, here is the BBC's take:

https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-53702872

With regard to donations, I cannot find a specific article right now but the general gist is that, over the past decade or so, both the Chinese government, Chinese companies, and private Chinese citizens have been on a buying spree, deploying some of the dollars they have built up over the past few decades. There is nothing wrong with a Chinese-owned or part-owned company donating to an electoral candidate, especially if the candidate declares it, but it can be tricky if it turns on that the ultimate owner of the entity is the Chinese military or something like that.

As your article shows, the Chinese made a valiant effort after the election to buy Trumps favor, but the current thinking is that they see him as far too unpredictable, they would like to return to the previous cosy arrangement.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Morch said:

I think you're either wrong or trying to mislead.

In what sense am I trying to mislead you?

That strikes me as a rather hysterical reaction to a fairly standard discussion.

Whatever motivations Russia may have in either direction, the motivations of the Chinese are far greater. Trump is a massive threat to their current economic model, and the CCP's hold on their people is deeply intertwined with their ability to continue delivering growth. Biden has promised a return to business as usual. The future of the CCP regime could depend on that simple difference.

Whatever capabilities or resources Russia may have, China's capabilities and resources are far greater. Russia, a country overly dependent on oil at a time when the price of oil is depressed, has an economy smaller than Italy's. China has ten times the population and almost ten times the GDP of Russia.

There is nothing controversial about those facts and observations. The consequences for the money-driven American polity should be obvious to anyone of any political persuasion. That is was more convenient, in the immediate aftermath of Hillary's loss, for the Democrats to build the Russians up as a mechanism to delegitimize Trump's win, should not blind you to the relative threat posed by each country.

It may not be what you are accustomed to hearing, but there is nothing misleading there. Quite the contrary, it is a reality that the people spurting propaganda about Russia understand all too well.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, Poet said:

That strikes me as a rather hysterical reaction to a fairly standard discussion.

Whatever motivations Russia may have in either direction, the motivations of the Chinese are far greater. Trump is a massive threat to their current economic model, and the CCP's hold on their people is deeply intertwined with their ability to continue delivering growth. Biden has promised a return to business as usual. The future of the CCP regime could depend on that simple difference.

Whatever capabilities or resources Russia may have, China's capabilities and resources are far greater. Russia, a country overly dependent on oil at a time when the price of oil is depressed, has an economy smaller than Italy's. China has ten times the population and almost ten times the GDP of Russia.

There is nothing controversial about those facts and observations. The consequences for the money-driven American polity should be obvious to anyone of any political persuasion. That is was more convenient, in the immediate aftermath of Hillary's loss, for the Democrats to build the Russians up as a mechanism to delegitimize Trump's win, should not blind you to the relative threat posed by each country.

It may not be what you are accustomed to hearing, but there is nothing misleading there. Quite the contrary, it is a reality that the people spurting propaganda about Russia understand all too well.

Biden has not promised "a return to business as usual" regarding China. 

China has no reason to favor one candidate over the other; Trump is more unpredictable but more transactional, he can be bought with promises of Chinese purchases of US products or investment.  Biden is more predictable but more of an internationalist who will work with other nations in containing China.  China has no reason to favor either.

Edited by heybruce

4 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Nothing in your link showing intelligence agencies consider China and Iran are a greater threat to the election than Russia

Maybe try reading the article, then consider the motivations of each country, how much each might have to lose depending on who wins, and then round off your intellectual journey by thinking about the relative money, power, and ability of each country.

Do a little bloody work, then you can tell us all what a huge threat Russia is to American democracy.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

IMO the primary threat to the USA's fragile democracy is internal. That competing  autocracies take advantage of that is of no surprise or should be of no surprise.

Trump and his administration have accelerated the inequalities that are the by product of preferential corporatised capitalism.

In what presents as a last ditch stand for maximized profiteering the US is devolving into a version of autocratic dictate and in doing so is presenting not so dissimilar to the Nations it decries.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tug said:

Hey now you know trump is only following orders and noodle Adam shifts job is to be a check and balance it’s how our system works ,he’s doing his job .more than I can say for trump no big surprise here the Russians and trump know the more votes cast the worse trump and his handlers have of repeating the same horrible outcome 

I find this incomprehensible. What's with the weird pronunciation and what is a noodle?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Poet said:

I wasn't saying anything about misleading me personally. Seeing right through you. You're trying to mislead in general, and that's quite obvious.

You're heavily trying to distract from Russia's efforts at intervention and paint a picture where the main, if not sole, threat is posed by the PRC (never mind the Iran nonsense). Much of the waffle above is not supported by fact, and does not conform with many assessments by the various USA agencies charged with such issues.

Other posters, often posting in a way more aligned with the PRC's interest, do the same, in reverse.

• Like 1