30 Laotian illegal migrants caught on bus heading to Bangkok

rooster59

30 Laotian illegal migrants caught on bus heading to Bangkok

By THE NATION

800_ea845c67ff28cc5.jpg

The Navy’s Mekong Riverine Unit in Ubon Ratchathani province caught 30 illegal immigrants from Laos while they were searching a bus running from Ban Pak Saeng district to Bangkok.

Police Colonel Sarot Rodmanee, chief of Khemarat Police Station, said on Friday that the bus was stopped for a check on Khemarat-Khong Jiam Road near the Thailand-Laos border.

“The group of migrants comprised nine males, 17 females and four babies. None of them had proper documentation,” he said. “They confessed that they came from Vapi city in Salavan province of Laos and were heading to find jobs in Bangkok. They also said that each adult passenger had paid Bt5,000 to an agency in Laos who arranged the bus and promised to take them to Bangkok after they crossed the Mekong River.”

All the suspects were charged with illegally entering the country, while officials are investigating the agency that arranged the bus to uncover the whole operation. “Currently Thai officials have to increase security along the borders to prevent infected migrants from bringing Covid-19 to Thailand,” he added.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30394071

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-09-06

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Surprise surprise. None had a CoE,  negative covidtest,  100.000usd insurance.... 

No, and that´s why they got caught. Otherwise they would have entered legally and went into quarantine.

However, in this case it would have been a case of migrant workers, and I do not believe 100k usd insurance apply to them. Maybe something that the company they are going to work for must provide. I do not think that either, due to they have different laws regarding cost for care of migrant workers, like in almost every other country.

Edited by Matzzon
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, law ling said:

With these stories of illegal entrants - recently concerning Laos, Burmese and Chinese - we're not told what happens next: are they first quarantined for 14 days? immediately sent back? what's the penalty? etc.

Regarding the enforcement of the law, I have no clue. However, if they remain in Thailand awaiting sentences in a Thai court, they will be taken into quarantine according to the Covid-19 regulations.

Everything else you need to know, you will surely fins in Thailand Immigration Act, Chapter 8, Section 61-84. Happy reading. ???? 

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

“Currently Thai officials have to increase security along the borders to prevent infected migrants from bringing Covid-19 to Thailand,” he added.

"Once the Covid situation has normalized, we will go back to our traditional way of allowing entry."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, law ling said:

With these stories of illegal entrants - recently concerning Laos, Burmese and Chinese - we're not told what happens next: are they first quarantined for 14 days? immediately sent back? what's the penalty? etc.

Best penalty for me would be to quarantine them in a 5 star hotels, then return them and bill the agency

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

First question that no one has raised is why are the Navy doing shack downs sorry immigration's job? To answer the nasty rose colour wearing posters: some people remember the Navy and their involvement in slavery as with the army and its slave jungle camps. Final answer to what happens next: No there is no quick deportation as there are fines to pay first. A bit like the jungle slave camps, payments by families to get loved ones back. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

All the suspects were charged with illegally entering the country, while officials are investigating the agency that arranged the bus to uncover the whole operation. “Currently Thai officials have to increase security along the borders to prevent infected migrants from bringing Covid-19 to Thailand,” he added.

Those leaky borders again... 

6 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Must be a slightly porous crossing point ...........!!!! 

Most of border between Laos and Thailand is impossible to control. There are hundreds of boats crossing the Mekong river all day long (and night?). Majority of them are loaded with food and products for markets, but so easy to bring illegal travelers with these boats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, law ling said:

And what about those who enter legally ?

13 hours ago, Matzzon said:
14 hours ago, ezzra said:

probably couldn't or didn't pay enough to get through for the second stop, it is by the grace of god that Thailand doesn't have a rampant Covid virus here seeing how porous the borders are for drugs and human smuggling...

How do you know that? Do you have personal contact with many illegal migrants, or drug lords? Nah, didn´t think that. You just assumed something and was seeing it in the form of your virtual fantasy, right? The only information you get is like everybody, when reading the news about people getting caught. You have no clue whatsoever about any other statistic.

That was exactly my thought...  they didn’t pay enough for the second or third check point. I nearly posted as such and then I though some argumentative tool will come along and ask me how I know that, to post a source, or any factual information.... 

Of course, I don’t have any factual information and any comment is pure assumption: However, having lived in Thailand for a long time, with friends in Immigration and the Army, its been told to me and and I’ve seen for myself how illegal immigrants are bused through borders, the check points are there to take money, or catch those who haven’t 'arranged’ transit (paid enough). 

This is how Thailands labor force exists: Many many illegals brought in to work, they are occasionally caught and ’deported’ and then return a few months later to do the same thing again. Its a money maker for Immigration and the Army (two separate entities need to get their cut) and it keeps businesses operating, it also makes it far easier to control large immigrant labor forces with the thread of deportation etc. 

The only variable here is Covid-19 and there being more focus lately on immigrants hence the reports...  Everyone doing their job, illegal immigrants have been caught, great publicity but the unfortunate ones who are caught are the tip of the iceberg.

• Like 2