British newspaper distribution hit by Extinction Rebellion blockade

rooster59

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

He tweeted?

Ah, the irony...where do you think most people get their news from these days johnson?

You still think it's the paper boy-girl/newsagents/corner news stand...ROFLMAO

https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/uk-national-newspaper-sales-slump-by-two-thirds-in-20-years-amid-digital-disruption/

Only <deleted> tweet on Twitter.......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

The Daily Telegraph makes you pay to read the latest gossip about Kim Kardashian.

Meanwhile, everything in The Guardian is free.

Now what was that about value for money again?

Haha. The Guardian is unbalanced junk with Viners pimps trying to make its own 'news'. You're welcome to it 'free' 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

The Daily Telegraph makes you pay to read the latest gossip about Kim Kardashian.

Meanwhile, everything in The Guardian is free.

Now what was that about value for money again?

Although if you're a smartarse you can read The Telegraph for free.

• Like 1

This more of a question than anything else.

Is printed media still big in the UK? 

In my youth, and all the way up to the late nineties newspapers were delivered to your house here in the US. It would be chucked onto your driveway or in a box.

That has all but disappeared here. I do, along with most people still read newspapers, but it's all electronic delivery.

I struggle to think that a blockade of a printing plant here would have had anything like the impact it seemed to have in the UK

7 hours ago, faraday said:

Aren't most newspapers in the UK still available in print?

Yes, & they are still delivered & bought in shops & post offices etc.

Circulation The Times

359,960 (Print, Feb 2020); 304,000 (Digital, June 2019)

I buy the Times every day.  I then read most of the serious newspapers on-line.  I like the feel of sitting down with a nice cup of Earl Grey and flicking through the printed edition, tutting as I go.  The next day I carefully cut the newspaper into squares, punch a hole in the corner and hang it in the toilet.  At two pounds a copy you need to get as much out of it as you can.

I think we need groups like Extinction Rebellion to challenge and highlight when the governments get it wrong over climate change. And they do that a lot!  However I think this time they have got it completely wrong.  Of course Murdoch is a scumbag but this is not a valid reason for the action.  Pick your fights with care ER, otherwise you will lose the support of many.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dunroaming said:

I buy the Times every day.  I then read most of the serious newspapers on-line.  I like the feel of sitting down with a nice cup of Earl Grey and flicking through the printed edition, tutting as I go.  The next day I carefully cut the newspaper into squares, punch a hole in the corner and hang it in the toilet.  At two pounds a copy you need to get as much out of it as you can.

I think we need groups like Extinction Rebellion to challenge and highlight when the governments get it wrong over climate change. And they do that a lot!  However I think this time they have got it completely wrong.  Of course Murdoch is a scumbag but this is not a valid reason for the action.  Pick your fights with care ER, otherwise you will lose the support of many.

I am not sure Extinction Rebellion would be able to accept you as a supporter, since you seem to cut down a tree or two just to wipe your ar$e.  (But at least it means you are not an ER ecofreak.)

Clearly, you are not living in Thailand where the bum gun rules supreme. 

• Haha 2

On 9/6/2020 at 1:31 AM, rooster59 said:

"A free press is vital in holding the government and other powerful institutions to account on issues critical for the future of our country, including the fight against climate change,"

Hmmm I think a "free" press has not been a thing for many a decade, if ever. They are all pushing their own narratives and political leanings. 

• Like 2