59 killed in road accidents over long weekend

webfact

59 killed in road accidents over long weekend

By The Nation

800_d54c7a5a149ecbb.jpeg?v=1599550017

File Photo

Bangkok and Suphanburi province saw the highest number of road accidents during the September 4 to 7 holidays.

According to the Transport Ministry, there were 38 car crashes in the capital, while Suphanburi recorded nine motorcycle accidents.

Between September 3 and 7, there were 405 road accidents nationwide, with 59 people being killed and 365 injured. Of these, 116 were motorcycle accidents, which accounted for 31 deaths. Speeding was found to be the most common cause for the crashes.

Chaiwat Thongkamkoon, the ministry’s permanent secretary said some 9.82 million people took public transport to travel between provinces during the long weekend, or 10.92 per cent less than expected.

Meanwhile, more than 14 million vehicles drove in and out of the capital, or 38.63 per cent more than initially expected. Most of the vehicles travelling in and out of Bangkok were private cars.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30394177

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-09-08

• Sad 1

What more can you that it wasn't said before a thousands times, not sure what road awareness and programs Thailand has to educate it's road users, non i suspect, and it shows, could it be that the Powers that be can afford themselves to lose so many people every year to road accidents?...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, johng said:

Isn't it normally about 60 people a day ?...these long holidays seem to be safer than normal days so lets just have  a long holiday all year long ????

Maybe they were distracted by.............."road rules"!

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, johng said:

Isn't it normally about 60 people a day ?...these long holidays seem to be safer than normal days so lets just have  a long holiday all year long ????

indeed, statistically speaking holidays, while having horrific road death toll figures, are generally safer than normal days. it's just the holiday figures hit the headlines.

19 minutes ago, johng said:

Believe you are correct, actually I think its closer to 70, but people don't read beyond the printed word and realise the fact the numbers are indeed lower!

3 hours ago, johng said:

Coz everybody drive country side and drink lao khao there! In town they drink every day and need go work! Also druck drivers are in holiday so most sht drucks are off from road.

I drove on Saturday Morning from Chan Kasem to Bang Sue on an almost empty Ratchadaphisek Road and saw 2 MC-accidents.

That was a 20 minutes ride and they want me to believe that on the complete long weekend only 116 MC-accidents happened nationalwide?

When they are starting to count an accident? The victim must fly minimum 15 meters thru the air and the MC must be crumbled beyond recognition?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Road accidents are not contagious as far as I know so don't bring up Covid-19

What about speeding?  I most certainly will compare it because it's a valid point.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 2

Drove to Krabi on Thursday back to Bangkok on Sunday, heavy truck traffic both ways, few collisions, few passenger vans, hotel booked out in Krabi with Bangkokians at weekend but empty on Thursday, also many restaurants closed and Krabi town deserted.

So some locals still holidaying but lack of foreign tourists hitting businesses. Traffic not much reduced as many tourists would fly in.

If they (m The Govt ) spent as much time and effort reducing the death rate by strict enforcement and other Road Safety measures they would lower the death rate by at least 50 %. But that would require people to actually work. So I forget this being Thailand that is NEVER going to happen. 

2 hours ago, Khun Paul said:

If they (m The Govt ) spent as much time and effort reducing the death rate by strict enforcement and other Road Safety measures they would lower the death rate by at least 50 %. But that would require people to actually work. So I forget this being Thailand that is NEVER going to happen. 

Driving is about 80% common sense and 20% being taught, common sense cannot be taught, lack of common sense stands out a mile, from Thai governments, especially the soldier ones, from the schools. banks, restaurants, offices, shops, right down to the cleaners and rice farmers.

The biggest majority of Thais are the nicest people you will ever meet, and very non confrontational, I never have a problem with any of them, but as I said, common sense hardly exists here.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, johng said:

Yes, seems to have got off lightly.

Maybe middle days people were sleeping it off on the beaches.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Who cares ! That corona flue is the real deadly threat ????????

Yes...this is bizarrely true the world over. I just don't get it. I know a number of former co-workers in USA who've had it. One was an extreme case where the guy was in ICU and on a ventilator for a couple weeks. It hit him hard and messed him up, but he pulled through. 5 others had nothing more than flu-like experience and were back to work in a week to 10 days...which is the case for the vast majority of cases, as you already know by your very pertinent comment. :thumbsup:

On 9/9/2020 at 2:48 AM, Meat Pie 47 said:

Road accidents are not contagious as far as I know so don't bring up Covid-19

i  think they are they get infected with the stupidity as   soon as they are  born, starts  on bicycles driving on the wrong side of the road with no  lights and progresses  up to 8 year old  kids on scooters to pick ups.