5 year Visa ? ( Phang Nga )

Just came back from Phang Nga for my yearly extension ( much worse then before , the crew changed for the 3rd time in 2 yrs ) .

And the Immigration officer who talked to me in his small office , asked me why I do not take the new 5 year visa ?

I will need 3 million THB in a fixed bank account , and  a  'police clearance certificate '  from my embassy or consulate .

I will not need to renew my visa every year , it is good for 5 years , but I will need to prove every year that the 3 mio are still in the fixed account .

He said it is available right now , Phang Nga immigration can issue that visa directly ....

I asked for papers about this new visa , but did not get any ...

I finally got my extension and left .

I do not really know what to think about this ' new visa ' , have to do some investigation ... Did anybody of you hear about this ?

Surely sounds good , and , as I was in Phang Nga immigration , and that guy had his own office in there , he was authentic I guess ...

Sounds like a Non-Immigrant O-X, you should find details of is on your countries Thai embassy website (if one of (1) Japan (2) Australia (3) Denmark (4) Finland (5) France (6) Germany (7) Italy (8) Netherlands (9) Norway (10) Sweden (11) Switzerland (12) United Kingdom (13) Canada (14) United States of America)

5 hours ago, howerde said:

Thanks for this .

That sounds good to me after all ... No more ' begging ' for extensions , just the proof of money , health insurance , and a police certificate . 5 years visa with just some formalities ... I wonder why this is hardly ever mentioned in this forum ?

I will go for that I think ... I am tired of being treated like an unwanted criminal for the extension of an O-A visa . This year was very bad ... 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

That sounds good to me after all ... No more ' begging ' for extensions , just the proof of money , health insurance , and a police certificate . 5 years visa with just some formalities ... I wonder why this is hardly ever mentioned in this forum ?

They are not mentioned due to only embassies being able to issue them. Immigration does not issue them.

Many people have asked and were told they can only apply at a embassy in your home country.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They are not mentioned due to only embassies being able to issue them. Immigration does not issue them.

Many people have asked and were told they can only apply at a embassy in your home country.

Thanks for your answer . But that officer of Phang Nga immigration said clearly that I can apply for this Visa at Phang Nga immigration ...

He said : get the police certificate from your consulate or embassy , get the proof of 3 mio in a fixed account , ( I had the health insurance already ) , and come back here , ( Phang Nga Immigration ) , we will issue that visa directly ... May be that is New ?

• Like 1

I am not sure 100% if what he told me is really correct ... The team at Phang Nga immigration has changed for the 3rd time in just 2 years , they were not nice at all . All new faces and kind of an aggressive behavior ... I felt being treated like a criminal but had all the necessary papers , ( ridiculous amount of ) , so finally managed to get my O-A extension . It took 3 hours for that .

My wife will phone him again ,  ( they all did not like to speak english ) , and ask if they really can issue that Visa at Phang Nga ...

36 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Sorry , Joe , but you are not correct this time :

https://consular.mfa.go.th/th/content/80938-non-–-immigrant-visa-“o-x”-(long-stay-10-years)?page=5d68c88b15e39c160c0081e2&menu=5d68c88b15e39c160c0081e3

----> Non – Immigrant Visa “O - X” (Long Stay 10 years)

Non-Immigrant Visa “O-X” (Long Stay)

On 22 November 2016, the Cabinet of Thailand approved new scheme which allows nationals from 14 countries to stay in Thailand for the maximum period of 10 years. In order to enjoy this new scheme, the applicants must apply for Non-Immigrant Visa “O-X” (Long Stay) or so called Non-O-X Visa at the Royal Thai Embassy/Royal Thai Consulate-General (when applying outside Thailand) or the Immigration Bureau (when applying in Thailand).     < ----

Edited by nobodysfriend

7 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

Sorr

Sorry Joe , you are not correct .

https://consular.mfa.go.th/th/content/80938-non-–-immigrant-visa-“o-x”-(long-stay-10-years)?page=5d68c88b15e39c160c0081e2&menu=5d68c88b15e39c160c0081e3

----> Non – Immigrant Visa “O - X” (Long Stay 10 years)

Non-Immigrant Visa “O-X” (Long Stay)

On 22 November 2016, the Cabinet of Thailand approved new scheme which allows nationals from 14 countries to stay in Thailand for the maximum period of 10 years. In order to enjoy this new scheme, the applicants must apply for Non-Immigrant Visa “O-X” (Long Stay) or so called Non-O-X Visa at the Royal Thai Embassy/Royal Thai Consulate-General (when applying outside Thailand) or the Immigration Bureau (when applying in Thailand).     < ----

Interestingly enough, for many years it has been implied that you can apply for a Non O-A visa from within Thailand by applying to immigration headquarters in Bangkok. It has been pretty universally agreed that this is not possible. At least, I can remember no confirmed cases where it happened. It is surprising if it is now allowed for O-X visas but not O-A visas, though I guess Non O followed by one-year extension (allowed) is almost equivalent to a Non O-A.

Some more info :

Other Useful Information

- Benefits of the Non-O-X visa holders

1) Can work as a volunteer (in accordance with the list of volunteer work as stipulated by the Department of Employment).

2) Can purchase vehicle (under the provision of laws on motor vehicles).

3) Can purchase condominium (proceed in accordance with the Condominium Act).

- Foreigners who enter Thailand with other type of Visa/Visa Exemption may contact the Immigration Bureau and apply for Non-O-X visa.

- Foreigners who enter Thailand with Non-O-X visa may change from Non-O-X to other type of Visa by submitting request to the Immigration Bureau. Spouse and child’s visa approval will be changed according to status of the main applicant. However, spouse can apply for Non-O-X by himself/ herself if he/she meets the qualifications.

- Spouse/child who does not qualify for Non-O-X visa may apply for other type of non-immigrant visa in order to stay in Thailand with the Non-O-X visa holder.

- Upon the completion of 90 days stay period in Thailand, foreigners must notify the Immigration Bureau of their residence in Thailand and shall repeat at every 90 days interval.

- Foreigners must report, in person, to the immigration officer every 1 year for the examination of the qualifications and supporting documents.

- Stay permit of the Non-O-X visa holders may be revoked due to following conditions:

1) Foreigners do not have financial evidence as per stipulated by above qualifications such as:

- The sum of money in the bank account is less than 3 million Baht at the end of the first year of stay period in Thailand.

- the sum of money in the bank account is less than 1.5 million Baht at the end of the second year of stay period in Thailand, and/or the money in said account was spent outside Thailand.

2) Foreigners do not have insurance as per stipulated by above qualifications.

3) Foreigners pose threat to peace and security of Thailand.

4) Foreigners work without permission.

9 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

He said it is available right now , Phang Nga immigration can issue that visa directly ....

I asked for papers about this new visa , but did not get any ..

I thought only Embassies and consulates issued Visas..... particularly these types.

If a domestic IO is claiming it can issue them it sounds very dodgy!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I thought only Embassies and consulates issued Visas..... particularly these types.

If a domestic IO is claiming it can issue them it sounds very dodgy!

15 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

It really boggles my mind that anybody that is aware of other options to stay long-term in Thailand, could be interested in the O-X Visa.

I guess the only difference would be the treatment you get as an O-X holder when making the annual visit to your IO to prove your financials and insurance.  Someone that can afford 3 million THB on a thai bank-account will inspire awe and respect from Immigration officers that have never seen such an amount of money.

I think they just see such folks as "having money" like them.  They make a fortune on the agent-applications they coerce with artificial-hurdes - many IOs are likely very, very wealthy from this revenue-stream.

OK ,

I asked my thai wife to phone this IO named Napat in Phang Nga Immigration again , that he confirms a second time that this visa can be issued in Phang Nga Immigration .

He confirmed that .

So , you believe what you want , I will go for that O-X visa . It will be issued in Phang Nga immigration , he left no doubt about this .

Edited by nobodysfriend
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

It really boggles my mind that anybody that is aware of other options to stay long-term in Thailand, could be interested in the O-X Visa.

Yes, the O-X provides you with a 5-year permission to stay and that sounds attractive when you have been bullied by your local IO when doing 1-year extensions of stay.

But be aware that on an O-X you would STILL have to go each year to Immigration to provide evidence that you kept the 3 million THB (!) in your personal Thai bank-account, and that the mandatory insurance you have to subscribe to is still valid.

And basically there is little difference with the requirements for a 1-year Non Imm O or O-A extension for reason of retirement, except that the O-X is ridiculously expensive (there is a reason that this O-X scheme is not so 'succesfull' as IO thought it would be when launching it).

I guess the only difference would be the treatment you get as an O-X holder when making the annual visit to your IO to prove your financials and insurance.  Someone that can afford 3 million THB on a thai bank-account will inspire awe and respect from Immigration officers that have never seen such an amount of 

OX also requires one to do 90 day reports.

23 minutes ago, userabcd said:

OX also requires one to do 90 day reports.

That is right . They want me to do the 90 day reporting online . I have a passport that was not registered in the Immigration Database , so they registered it by now .

With the O-X I will not need to ask for extensions any more ... just the yearly proof of the 3 mio in a fixed account is enough for a 5 + 5 years stay .

The application fee is 10.000 Baht .

And the 3 mio in your fixed thai bank account is and stays YOUR money .

What always bothered me with the O-A visa was the yearly extensions , and new requirements every year .

I do not have a place to go ' home ' to , So , every year I was afraid of being denied the yearly extension for whatever reason .

With a five year Visa , ( and an extension of another 5 years of that O-X ) , that is off my mind for 10 yrs .

To me that is well worth the 10000 baht application fee . ( peace of mind ) .

Edited by nobodysfriend

17 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

That is right . They want me to do the 90 day reporting online . I have a passport that was not registered in the Immigration Database , so they registered it by now .

With the O-X I will not need to ask for extensions any more ... just the yearly proof of the 3 mio in a fixed account is enough for a 5 + 5 years stay .

The application fee is 10.000 Baht .

From what I understand you can reduce the 3m baht amount to 1.5m for years 2 to 5 and yes, it stays your money.

Its only that terrible local inurance policy requirement which imo does not provide value for money.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, userabcd said:

From what I understand you can reduce the 3m baht amount to 1.5m for years 2 to 5

I am not sure about this .

Here is a video ... https://www.legal.co.th/resources/visa-immigration-law/thailand-immigration-law/o-x-visa-long-term-retirement-thailand/

3. Financial qualifications

(a) Applicants must have money deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand with the amount of not less than 3 million Baht; or

(b) Applicants must have money deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand with the amount of not less than 1.8 million Baht and have income with the amount of not less than 1.2 million Baht per year. Once the applicants enter Thailand, they must have accumulated money deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand not less than 3 million Baht within 1 year.

The money in (a) and (b) must be kept in bank account at least 1 year before withdrawing and, within another next year, the money must be left in the account with the amount of not less than 1.5 million Baht and can only be spent in Thailand. 

6 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

I am not sure about this .

Here is a video ... https://www.legal.co.th/resources/visa-immigration-law/thailand-immigration-law/o-x-visa-long-term-retirement-thailand/

3. Financial qualifications

(a) Applicants must have money deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand with the amount of not less than 3 million Baht; or

(b) Applicants must have money deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand with the amount of not less than 1.8 million Baht and have income with the amount of not less than 1.2 million Baht per year. Once the applicants enter Thailand, they must have accumulated money deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand not less than 3 million Baht within 1 year.

The money in (a) and (b) must be kept in bank account at least 1 year before withdrawing and, within another next year, the money must be left in the account with the amount of not less than 1.5 million Baht and can only be spent in Thailand. 

The last para "The money in a and b...."?

Sorry if I misunderstand.

Edited by userabcd

19 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Its only that terrible local insurance policy requirement which imo does not provide value for money.

That's fully correct.  And contrary to the 1-year retirement extension based on a Non Imm O-A Visa, you cannot get rid of that IO-approved health-insurance requirement when on an O-X.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

does it?  about that 1.5 mill you are permitted to withdraw...

21 minutes ago, userabcd said:

the money must be left in the account with the amount of not less than 1.5 million Baht and can only be spent in Thailand.