Thailand to Finalize Entry Plan for Foreign Visitors by October

webfact

It simply will not work...

Charter flights very expensive and nearly impossible to change return dates.

Too many costs re covid testing etc.

Phuket, not a great place and quarantined in an expensive Hotel for two weeks.

A further week locally with Phuket prices for a beer.

Not for me! Sorry for Thailand!

• Like 2

With their own financial and TAT statistics showing that the average length of stay for tourists is 9.5 days, how could anyone imagine that, suddenly, in the middle of a world pandemic, tourists would be able to and inclined to amazingly up their stay to at least 30 days - and that includes two lots of 14 days in quarantine, coming and going, without going outside of their resort.

And remember this is an income-generation scheme aimed at short-stay tourists, not at the very tiny percentage of people abroad with properties or families in Thailand. 

Oh! Wait a minute! The idiotic top dogs have demanded that their idiotic underlings come up with a plan - OR ELSE. And the idiotic underlings have coughed-out this totally idiotic scheme in sheer despair.

__$$15b.jpg

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 1

As all the retirees stuck outside the country now know they are only tourists I see quite a few of them coming back. Sadly with the lack of flights and ASQs so far, their number could be higher than capacity. 

Edited by MRToMRT
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

I'm not scared of it myself & may even have already had it (in Singapore in Feb I came down with bad flu like symptoms & had a fever for 3 days... Hadn't had anything but a mild cough in the 11.5 years I lived there) BUT what I am scared of is passing it on to my septuagenarian parents (one of whom does have diabetes & both are a little overweight but by no means unhealthily so for their age). 

Likewise  I dont want to pass it on to my Wife--then Gik--Sideline Gal--Mia Noi...could spell trouble indeed

Treating coronavirus patients with high doses of vitamin D supplements could help keep them out of intensive care, a study has suggested.

Researchers gave high doses of calcifediol – a type of vitamin D supplement – to 50 patients hospitalised with Covid-19 in Spain.

They were given 100 micrograms of the supplement over the course of a week, with 55mg on the first day and then two booster doses of 27mg on days three and seven. The dose was slightly higher than the 70mg weekly limit recommended by the NHS.

Scientists compared the participants' health with 26 volunteers in a control group who were not given the tablets, which are normally prescribed to patients with thyroid or kidney problems.

Everyone needs to take vitamin D or get lots of sunshine. Foreigners especially coming from dark countries. That and wear a n95 mask. We are done!

Edited by Don Chance

I doubt many tourists will be coming this winter season. First a lot of people are just going to wait until they think it is safe, so that means after they get a vaccine. Second a lot of people are broke and have little money for holidays, as a result of the economic fallout from the virus. Third people will be looking for bargains and let's face it tourist operators in Thailand hate to offer big discounts to farangs. Finally a 14 day quarantine period will deter a lot of people either because they have limited holiday time or simply because they won't have that restriction for other tourist destinations. Personally I will comeback after I get vaccinated and after Thailand has dropped the 14 day quarantine nonsense. 

• Like 2

On 9/10/2020 at 6:47 AM, Pungdo said:

What person in their right mind would come here, spend 2 weeks in quarantine, stay a little longer and then head home to another 2 weeks in quarantine, they are truly kidding themselves, dream on you numpties.

What part of "to long-term foreign visitors" did you find difficult.

2 hours ago, expat1010 said:

I doubt many tourists will be coming this winter season. First a lot of people are just going to wait until they think it is safe, so that means after they get a vaccine. Second a lot of people are broke and have little money for holidays, as a result of the economic fallout from the virus. Third people will be looking for bargains and let's face it tourist operators in Thailand hate to offer big discounts to farangs. Finally a 14 day quarantine period will deter a lot of people either because they have limited holiday time or simply because they won't have that restriction for other tourist destinations. Personally I will comeback after I get vaccinated and after Thailand has dropped the 14 day quarantine nonsense. 

Once there's a reliable vaccination available I see no reason why you should not self-quarantine before you enter an airplane. 

The impoverishment of the British middle class is another question, and this problem cannot be solved by Thailand. 

Have they done a study on the numbers of people willing to spend the money and the time to be in quarantine for 14 days?

They seem to have a very high opinion of Thailand's desirability when the country really isn't as it was last year.

On a more serious note: Are you allowed room visits by masseuses and "waitresses"? : )

Seems like most people in here are assuming that a vaccine will be pretty much 100% effective. That's not how flu vaccines have traditionally worked. Generally the immunisation rate has hovered around 40-60%. Keep in mind that this virus is still mutating. 

Let's not fotget about the swine flu vaccine and the many complications (including deaths) that arose from that. A vaccine might not be safe and it might not work. It's certainly not a valid substitute for quarantine. Your immune system has great odds at keeping you healthy on its own. You can better those odds by eating healthy and leading a healthy lifestyle. There's no need to risk your health by taking a vaccine.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, edogthong said:

Seems like most people in here are assuming that a vaccine will be pretty much 100% effective. That's not how flu vaccines have traditionally worked. Generally the immunisation rate has hovered around 40-60%. Keep in mind that this virus is still mutating. 

Let's not fotget about the swine flu vaccine and the many complications (including deaths) that arose from that. A vaccine might not be safe and it might not work. It's certainly not a valid substitute for quarantine. Your immune system has great odds at keeping you healthy on its own. You can better those odds by eating healthy and leading a healthy lifestyle. There's no need to risk your health by taking a vaccine.

Exactly mortality now looking like it's less than Flu stats 

On 9/9/2020 at 6:51 PM, Cali farong said:

I still can’t understand why people who are healthy and in good shape are so scared of the virus are you afraid of every other way to die.  Every day is a <deleted> shoot.  If I had diabetes and weighed 350 pounds or breathing problems or ??? I’d be very cautious.  But the rest of us don’t need a mask and should keep on keepin on.  IMO 

You wear a mask to protect other people too, as you could be an asymptomatic carrier. It not always about every man for himself. Sometimes you should do things to benefit the society at large, which includes people with diabetes, or who weigh 350 pounds or who have breathing problems. Also, otherwise healthy people can also get sick and sometimes have prolonged issues even after they have supposedly cleared the virus.

People who can't agree to wear a simple mask on a flight, public transit, or in a crowded indoor space baffle me. It's really not much to ask. It is a minor inconvenience at worst. It won't go on forever and its not some sinister plan by the overlords to control our minds. It's just a simple, fairly effective public health measure until a vaccine is distributed or the virus otherwise becomes less of a public health hazard.

I do agree life must go on, but with a few sensible precautions that we didn't need before.

• Like 2

On 9/10/2020 at 6:05 AM, madmen said:

Great news for retirees , condo owners etc 

On 9/10/2020 at 7:47 AM, Pungdo said:

What person in their right mind would come here, spend 2 weeks in quarantine, stay a little longer and then head home to another 2 weeks in quarantine, they are truly kidding themselves, dream on you numpties.

They mention long term only, not short term. so what they're saying all those that have been whinging  and busting their gut to get back to Thai,  now's their chance. Id be surprised if it happens, but it is Thailand. 

1 hour ago, Sharp said:

Screenshot_20200827_162648.jpg

These numbers don't seem to add up given the fatality and infection numbers in the US for example. Even the denier in chief, Trump is on record now as saying COVID-19 is a very serious disease, although he didn't say it in public when the numbers were ramping up in the US.

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, charmonman said:

These numbers don't seem to add up given the fatality and infection numbers in the US for example. Even the denier in chief, Trump is on record now as saying COVID-19 is a very serious disease, although he didn't say it in public when the numbers were ramping up in the US.

They are getting better at treating the disease with plasma etc.  The real problem is that 50% of even asymptomatic people have heart damage which may be permanent.

1 hour ago, Don Chance said:

They are getting better at treating the disease with plasma etc.  The real problem is that 50% of even asymptomatic people have heart damage which may be permanent.

I'm asymptomatic and quite immune to all kinds of subtropic diseases. And I don't have heart problems. 

But I'm probably too old to donate plasma in Thailand. 

1 hour ago, micmichd said:

I'm asymptomatic and quite immune to all kinds of subtropic diseases. And I don't have heart problems. 

But I'm probably too old to donate plasma in Thailand. 

You do understand that saying you are "asymptomatic" in the context of COVID19 means you have the virus but are not displaying any symptoms...but are still contagious to others?

1 hour ago, DLock said:

You do understand that saying you are "asymptomatic" in the context of COVID19 means you have the virus but are not displaying any symptoms...but are still contagious to others?

No, I'm not. 

Nobody here in Pattaya Hillside has CoviD-19 symptoms. Nobody. 

I've got ingredients in my blood that produce extra-strong killer cells. Cells that can kill any virus within a few hours. That's what Western doctors told me. 

I'm talking about plasma for a vaccination. Just in case...

Edited by micmichd

26 minutes ago, micmichd said:

No, I'm not. 

Nobody here in Pattaya Hillside has CoviD-19 symptoms. Nobody. 

I've got ingredients in my blood that produce extra-strong killer cells. Cells that can kill any virus within a few hours. That's what Western doctors told me. 

I'm talking about plasma for a vaccination. Just in case...

Just so I'm clear, you say you are asymptomatic, but don't have COVID19? So, what are asymptomatic with?

You extra-strong killer cells...can it repel, say, HIV within a few hours?

I'm just interested.

7 hours ago, DLock said:

Just so I'm clear, you say you are asymptomatic, but don't have COVID19? So, what are asymptomatic with?

You extra-strong killer cells...can it repel, say, HIV within a few hours?

I'm just interested.

I don't know. I never had HIV. 

Up to the doctors if they want to make experiments with my blood. Unfortunately I'm probably too old to donate. 

16 hours ago, PMZ said:

How ironic that they are looking for ways to attract foreign tourists, which is unlikely to happen, while on the other hand, it is likely to expel thousands in the 26 September.... Where is the sense?

Wait... What happens on the 26th?

Edited by Senechal
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Don Chance said:

The real problem is that 50% of even asymptomatic people have heart damage which may be permanent.

I've never seen that 50% number anywhere, and IMHO it sounds highly unlikely. Source?

EDIT: Just found a study that says as much. Although "damage" is possibly a big word. 

Edited by Senechal