Neem Etc.

Nienke

Hi there,

If I'm correct the Central Thai name for neem is 'sadao' (สะเดา), but when I asked for it in a local herb shop they did not know what I was talking about. Does anyone know the Northern Thai name, and where is the best place where I can buy this tree in Chiang Mai?

What's the Thai name (Central and Northern Thai) for Andrographis paniculata, and where to buy?

Thanks, Nienke

Sadao, สะเดา, is indeed the name for the Neem tree, although I fear the Latin name is Azadirachta indica. You can find young Neem trees, sometimes, at Khamtieng Market. Failing that, the best place to go is Ban Huay Kaew out past Sankhampaeng hot springs on road number 1317.

Andrographis paniculata, on the other hand is an extremely bitter annual herb used in Ayurvedic medicine. This is known as Creat in Englsh. I am afraid I do not know the Thai name for this herb and don't think I have ever seen it for sale anywhere here.

Sadao, สะเดา, is indeed the name for the Neem tree, although I fear the Latin name is Azadirachta indica. You can find young Neem trees, sometimes, at Khamtieng Market. Failing that, the best place to go is Ban Huay Kaew out past Sankhampaeng hot springs on road number 1317.

Andrographis paniculata, on the other hand is an extremely bitter annual herb used in Ayurvedic medicine. This is known as Creat in Englsh. I am afraid I do not know the Thai name for this herb and don't think I have ever seen it for sale anywhere here.

Thanks, p1p, for your quick reply.

I'll try Ban Huay Keaw first, as I don't live far from there, plus the drive to the hotsprings is great.

I used both plants with some other herbal stuff on one of my dogs who had cancer and chemo didn't work at all. Although, there was a visible change in my dog he did not make it, unfortunately, as the cancer had spread far into his bones already (thanks to a vet who lacked to see that a non-healing wound could very well be a result of cancer, 1 1/2 years ago) :o The tumors in my other dog's mammal glands decreased considerable while using the herbs. :D

Nienke

As far as I know Sadao is Neem,

If you take the Mae Rim rd north from the notsosuperhiway,

Just before the new turn off to Pai there is a big nursery on the left,

its rather expensive & run by a miserable old bag, but they have neem tree's.

Thanks Pond life, I might have a look at the miserable old bag ... uhhh .. neem trees in that nursery :D and from where I live I can avoid the stillnotsosuperforalongtimethathighway :o

Nienke

Surprised at that.....have stopped there several times, and have always been greeted and treated cheerfully.....and have always been given a good discount...................

maybe you should try smiling at the old bag.................

while we're at the subject of trees and nursery, does anyone know where i could get some curry leaves tree? (Murraya koenigii) It really enhances the taste of curry and available mostly in south india and malaysia. Dont know about thailand but would be very happy if i could find a tree. anyone?

I used both plants with some other herbal stuff on one of my dogs who had cancer and chemo didn't work at all. Although, there was a visible change in my dog he did not make it, unfortunately, as the cancer had spread far into his bones already (thanks to a vet who lacked to see that a non-healing wound could very well be a result of cancer, 1 1/2 years ago) :o The tumors in my other dog's mammal glands decreased considerable while using the herbs. :D

Nienke

Nienke

If you are having health problems including tumours in your pets, you need to examine the food you are giving them. There is a preservative in common use in pet food, Ethoxyquin, that is believed by many to be a major causal factor of chronic disease and cancers in dogs, (and many other pet species.) If you feed dried, pelleted food, there is a good chance that it may contain Ethoxyquin and might be responsible for your dogs' ill health.

while we're at the subject of trees and nursery, does anyone know where i could get some curry leaves tree? (Murraya koenigii) It really enhances the taste of curry and available mostly in south india and malaysia. Dont know about thailand but would be very happy if i could find a tree. anyone?

anyone can help me with this? it is known as black neem in some parts of india :o.

Nienke

If you are having health problems including tumours in your pets, you need to examine the food you are giving them. There is a preservative in common use in pet food, Ethoxyquin, that is believed by many to be a major causal factor of chronic disease and cancers in dogs, (and many other pet species.) If you feed dried, pelleted food, there is a good chance that it may contain Ethoxyquin and might be responsible for your dogs' ill health.

Hi p1p,

Thank you for your concern.

I already feed a raw food diet to my dogs for several years now and some of the guest dogs on request of their owners. Ethoxiquin, BHA and BHT are only a few of the reasons why I prefer raw. And especially with the enormous petfood recall I think it's much better to prepare the animal's food yourself, whether that's raw or cooked (still prefer raw above cooked as the heating process takes away and/or changes many of the goodies).

Still, even when you feed raw it remains difficult as it's hard to know what they put in the prey animals, and many of this stuff (antibiotics, hormones, etc.) goes straight into your dog or cat (the heating process has no influence on this). Best, of course, is to feed the animal with free ranging chicken cow/buffalow meat, etc. and organic veggies etc. But that will become unaffordable for me.

I've even written an article on why and how to feed raw to a dog. You can read it on my website (see profile).

Tenbath (that was his name, and he was an Afghan) is, btw, back with his doggy friends (Lucky the boxer, Daika the GSD, Lady Jasmin Afghan and Joschka GSD) and most probably running and playing, and fooling everybody as he always loved to do, over the big greens fields now. He was a fantastic dog, especially during the most difficult time in his life.

Nienke

Neem in Northern dialect is Sariem, if that's any help. They do have the trees at Kamthieng market for sale. Coming in from road that comes out of back of Lotus . Turn left (second left ) into the larger section of the market. You are on the widest road and approx 4th shop down on the left has a range of fruit etc trees and they did have neem/sariem.

As far I know can't get curry leaf trees. I brought back some trees from further south including garcinia (cha muang) and curry leaf but the curry leaf died. Both garcinia flourishing, you can use the young leaves to make a bitter tasting curry/soup.

I don't mean to go hugely off-topic but, just in a nutshell, why the fuss or interest in neem trees? Just the possible medicinal benefit for dogs?

If it has wider advantages - even aesthetic - is it something to consider planting around/by a new house that I may get around to building in the foreseeable future? Is it slow/fast growing?

I don't mean to go hugely off-topic but, just in a nutshell, why the fuss or interest in neem trees? Just the possible medicinal benefit for dogs?

If it has wider advantages - even aesthetic - is it something to consider planting around/by a new house that I may get around to building in the foreseeable future? Is it slow/fast growing?

Neem is very fast growing to about 20 meters and is a very good shade tree as it generally keeps its leaves during the hot season. It contains a natural insecticide and an infusion can be used to treat problems such as headlice and scabies. It is also used in Ayurvedic medicine. Our favoured toothpaste at home is an Ayurvedic preparation containing Neem, sold under the name "Neem."

As far I know can't get curry leaf trees. I brought back some trees from further south including garcinia (cha muang) and curry leaf but the curry leaf died. Both garcinia flourishing, you can use the young leaves to make a bitter tasting curry/soup.

hi cmsally, would you know the thai name for curry leaves though??? might help me ask people around in the markets.

Neem in Northern dialect is Sariem, if that's any help. They do have the trees at Kamthieng market for sale. Coming in from road that comes out of back of Lotus . Turn left (second left ) into the larger section of the market. You are on the widest road and approx 4th shop down on the left has a range of fruit etc trees and they did have neem/sariem.

Absolutely a great help. Thanks cmsally!

Nienke

Neem is very fast growing to about 20 meters and is a very good shade tree as it generally keeps its leaves during the hot season. It contains a natural insecticide and an infusion can be used to treat problems such as headlice and scabies. It is also used in Ayurvedic medicine. Our favoured toothpaste at home is an Ayurvedic preparation containing Neem, sold under the name "Neem."

Thanks p1p, for this info. Although I know Neem has lots of medicinal properties, I wouldn't recognize the tree as such when I saw one. Still loads to learn :o

And that of being a good shade tree sounds like music. :D

Nienke

Thanks p1p, for this info. Although I know Neem has lots of medicinal properties, I wouldn't recognize the tree as such when I saw one. Still loads to learn :o

And that of being a good shade tree sounds like music. :D

Nienke

And I add my thanks to p1p for his interesting reply. If its indiginous to India I imagine it would grow easily enough here. If someone turns up a good website including pics ....

Sorry about those last 3 dup postings...got roast duck on the go and had to go and put some lemon and mango sauce over it then bung it back in the over...sunday lunch..etc...

Anyway ref ...Ban Huay Kaew out past Sankhampaeng hot springs ...and passed the Highlands G.C,....Definately the best place to buy trees ,bushes plants etc and if you need any help would reccomend our supplier .....Khun "O" who has got everything in his place....millions of Bt woth of stuff... :D

We have already bought a mixture of about 400 odd trees and plants and always get a good deal.£$

Think he is a bit like the "A" team blokes..x-Thai para/special forces and he delivers almost next day and gets his squad to dig and plant wherever you want...and that includes 60 ft hight trees......even on the top of our wee mountain...

Should you want to check him out his place is on the left hand side of the main drag before the garage but you gotta call him first...0811790834...say that you are a friend of Khun "OiY"....Mae-On.... :o