Engine swap, manual transmission options.

BlackArtemis

Hey all, 

Moving back to Thailand 2021 Covid permitting. Last time I lived here was 2014 and was more into bikes. Since my toys here are getting sold I started looking at fun options and I'm noticing a lack of strong manual transmission options for engines like 1JZ, 1UZ, SR20, 3sgte etc etc. Are transmissions like r154, w58, zf50, getrag 260 etc just super rare or not even available. I've heard the Vigo manual can handle a 1UZ?

I mean, being an American means I already don't row the gears "correctly" but I'd at least like the option.

Seems like there lots of options for up to 200hp, so great for a 4AGE in a KE Corolla, but mating a 5/6mt to UZFE in a ta22 is looking iffy.

Thanks all.

So you want to put the Toyota 1UZ-FE V8 with manual gears into a classic TA22 Celica !!

I think finding both a car and an engine in decent shape might be difficult! A manual gearbox from one of the Diesel pickups would take the torque of the V8 but I imagine the work involved in getting it all together would be huge! Of course with enough time and money anything is possible.

• Thanks 1

So, there are multiple bell housing adaptors for the 1uz. Even though the LSx is king for V8 swaps here we have plenty of people here playing with the 1uz or 3uz. A good condition Ta22 for ~220k baht, I realize I'm looking at upwards of 700k after swap, upgrades like suspension, ecu, etc etc.

I see vvti engines go for 40-60k. A haltec would cost me 100k etc etc

50 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

A friend put a Ranger 6 speed behind a 1UZ and stuck it in a Toyota crown, he drew up an adpator plate and got it machined.

Plenty of tidy TA22 celica's around, but they are not cheap.

Ok awesome, from the wild track 3.2? I've seen some high powered ones after mods, it make sense they could handle 300hp/300tq. Also a lot more plentiful than the r154 from a 1 or 2jzgte.

18 hours ago, BlackArtemis said:

So, there are multiple bell housing adaptors for the 1uz. Even though the LSx is king for V8 swaps here we have plenty of people here playing with the 1uz or 3uz. A good condition Ta22 for ~220k baht, I realize I'm looking at upwards of 700k after swap, upgrades like suspension, ecu, etc etc.

I see vvti engines go for 40-60k. A haltec would cost me 100k etc etc

Good condition TA22 for 220k sounds very reasonable....

Adapting bellhousing etc is do-able but I was thinking more about physical space to fit the powertrain into that car. I would think a fair bit of metalwork needs to be altered.....but why not...

2 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

Good condition TA22 for 220k sounds very reasonable....

Adapting bellhousing etc is do-able but I was thinking more about physical space to fit the powertrain into that car. I would think a fair bit of metalwork needs to be altered.....but why not...

Yeah, I have been browsing a lot of Thai classic and celica specific forums. A mint Ta22 with a 4age or BEAMS swap is like 350-380k. I care more about a complete interior and clean frame than nice paint. Liftbacks can be upwards of 200k more, the TA23 seems to have a higher price as well. As for fitment. there are quite a few things that fit in the TA22, fitment is not the problem. Availability in Thailand is. THings like if you swap the manual steering rack the one from an AW11 will work. I've never seen an AW11 in Thailand, a few SW20's and then quite a bit of 3rd gen MR2s. 

But the Ranger MT is a great lead.