Jump to content

Leading doctor says Thailand shouldn’t open to tourists for another six months


webfact

Recommended Posts

Leading doctor says Thailand shouldn’t open to tourists for another six months

 

4pm.jpg

 

Chulalongkorn dean and researcher Dr Thira Woratanarat has once again told the Thai media that the country should NOT open up to foreign tourists. 

 

This time he went further than previous occasions when he warned about opening the country to foreigners. 

 

He told Channel 7 the government should wait for another SIX months. 

 

And he has suggested that the interests of big business to make money should not be at the expense of public health concerns.

 

Dr Thira pointed to the fact there had been locally acquired transmissions of coronavirus and it was the "G-strain" that was seen all over the world. 

 

He urged the government to reconsider their opening up plans and only allow in those people that they absolutely must permit entry.

 

In reference to migrant labor he suggested that many of those jobs could be done by Thais for now. 

 

Back in June Thira had said "travel bubble" plans were "asking for trouble". In early August he warned against opening borders and at the end of last month he said "don't rush to reopen".

 

Despite these warnings the government still seems to be pressing ahead though daily reports of Thai people agreeing with the doctor are appearing in the Thai media, notes Thaivisa. 

 

These reports contrast with others from those in the tourism sector to reopen, at least partially.

 

Government deputy spokeswoman Traisulee Traisoranakul said that moves to reopen the country were still under discussion and that the TAT were still encouraging domestic tourism. 

 

In some comments Dr Thira referred obliquely to big business interests in a "heavenly island" (probably Phuket) who want to reopen. 

 

He was clearly suggesting that business interests were being put above public health concerns in the push to reopen the country, notes Thaivisa. 

 

Source: Channel 7

 

 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-09-14
 
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, webfact said:

Chulalongkorn dean and researcher Dr Thira Woratanarat

Another rich <deleted>, sitting in his office on a nice salary.

It is not about big businesses making money, it's about getting millions of normal Thais out of poverty, and able to put food on the table for their families. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 minutes ago, webfact said:

And he has suggested that the interests of big business to make money should not be at the expense of public health concerns.

Stuff BIG business, what about the millions who have no work, no hope, no decent future.

Dr Thira needs to come down out of his ivory tower, and see what is happening in the real world.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ticking Time Bomb about to go off here in the country as folks need to get back to work in some respect or another.  Looks like the xenophobia of foreigners bringing the Virus back with them is clouding some folks judgement.  Social distance, Hand washing, and personal responsibility go along way to ensuring folks stay virus free.  However, with the approach taken by the Government here they have created a false sense of security among people who believe that there are no domestic cases and those recently infected were infected by foreign returnees.  I was out to dinner along the river, and wanted a seat near the edge but was told not available for non tourists.  I laughed and asked him when the tourists were getting here.  He said soon.  I asked why no one could sit there again, and he replied that they needed to keep the tourists away from others as they had just returned to the country and out of quarantine.  I almost told him that we had just been let out of quarantine but did not want to give the poor man a heart attack.  Simple minded folks, still believe that its being transmitted by new returnees.  I hated to tell him that there had been no tourists in Thailand for 6 months, but he disagreed and said that VIP tourists are arriving every week.  Had to scratch my head on that statement.  Maybe he knows more than we are being led to believe, what with the French VIP's just recently flying into and out of Phuket, whoTF really knows.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Forget that over 2.5m people in the tourism industry have been thrown out of a job and the pitiful 5,000 baht a month Government help has already stopped. Just keep the numbers low so big  businesses won't suffer forget the starving people and millions more about to lose their jobs. The rich matter not the poor. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Open the borders today, six months from now or 2 years from now.  The virus is still out in the world waiting to enter the kingdom and will eventually enter to run the natural course of every pandemic since beginning of time.

 

And there will be no effective vaccine.  They will tell you there is, billions $ will be paid by every country in the world.  But truth is it will not be a vaccine but a hope and a prayer.

 

On the positive side if I am wrong and an effective vaccine is developed:  We will also have cure for common cold virus, influenza virus and aids virus because they will have learned over last few months to do what was impossible for last 50 years..

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, webfact said:

He was clearly suggesting that business interests were being put above public health concerns in the push to reopen the country, notes Thaivisa. 

I think tourism survival and not starving to death or losing your home will trump public health concerns way before that 6 months is up.

 

He's also wanting to open the gates to Thailand AFTER high season - so that atomic boom of incoming tourists will be more popping crisp packet

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, webfact said:

he has suggested that the interests of big business to make money should not be at the expense of public health concerns.

He's a medical doctor who knows nothing about tourism. Big business will get through the pandemic just fine. The people who are really struggling are the small tourism business owners and workers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Aha, its the big businesses which want to make money. Does the good doctor mean the Tour Guide from Sukhothai I have hired last week for a bike tour?

It was her second tour for the month!!!!! Normally it is 30+ tours per month. She has to live on Bht 4000/month and support her family.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm also against opening a country for tourism as of now. Thailand will become just like US and EU, then we have to go through total lock-down all over again. Government has already warned that they will do so if infections become uncontrollable. Not only the tourism in Thailand but all over the world, especially the small businesses, they just have to bear the unbearable. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like Puppet Master Chan O to grow some balls and announce tomorrow due to the Virus no one is getting a paycheck until this is all said and done!  That includes himself, all government employee and leaders from top to bottom, all police, and these Doctors who aren't really front line including this one dimension knuckle head once done the tune will change!

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, sitti said:

I'm also against opening a country for tourism as of now. Thailand will become just like US and EU, then we have to go through total lock-down all over again. Government has already warned that they will do so if infections become uncontrollable. Not only the tourism in Thailand but all over the world, especially the small businesses, they just have to bear the unbearable. 

Living in the UK here, we haven't locked down for months. The gross extreme of a 'lockdown' over the entire Summer has been where a few select towns have gone into lockdown to reduce the R value. So what do we do here? We go about life as normal aside from wearing a mask here and there, social distancing and lead a life that is akin to existence before COVID. People fly out on holiday, others come and visit, businesses are surviving and thriving and the virus is often a forgotten thought. On top of that, the CFR is incredibly low across the board in Europe, even when taking into account the notorious lagging effects of this virus and age of infected people. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Ticking Time Bomb about to go off here in the country as folks need to get back to work in some respect or another.  Looks like the xenophobia of foreigners bringing the Virus back with them is clouding some folks judgement.  Social distance, Hand washing, and personal responsibility go along way to ensuring folks stay virus free.  However, with the approach taken by the Government here they have created a false sense of security among people who believe that there are no domestic cases and those recently infected were infected by foreign returnees.  I was out to dinner along the river, and wanted a seat near the edge but was told not available for non tourists.  I laughed and asked him when the tourists were getting here.  He said soon.  I asked why no one could sit there again, and he replied that they needed to keep the tourists away from others as they had just returned to the country and out of quarantine.  I almost told him that we had just been let out of quarantine but did not want to give the poor man a heart attack.  Simple minded folks, still believe that its being transmitted by new returnees.  I hated to tell him that there had been no tourists in Thailand for 6 months, but he disagreed and said that VIP tourists are arriving every week.  Had to scratch my head on that statement.  Maybe he knows more than we are being led to believe, what with the French VIP's just recently flying into and out of Phuket, whoTF really knows.

you do know that they're catching citizens from Myanmar/Laos almost daily slipping over the border? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mung said:

Living in the UK here, we haven't locked down for months. The gross extreme of a 'lockdown' over the entire Summer has been where a few select towns have gone into lockdown to reduce the R value. So what do we do here? We go about life as normal aside from wearing a mask here and there, social distancing and lead a life that is akin to existence before COVID. People fly out on holiday, others come and visit, businesses are surviving and thriving and the virus is often a forgotten thought. On top of that, the CFR is incredibly low across the board in Europe, even when taking into account the notorious lagging effects of this virus and age of infected people. 

covid is absolutely exploding in the UK, a combination of the inability to live without bars and bowing down to big corporations such as airlines/tour companies which has unleashed another uncontrolled bout just in time for winter - all done with the lack of proper testing and tracing in place, just incredible..

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Thai people can see our Western Covidiots who refuse to wear masks and call this virus a “hoax” all over the news every day. Of course they don’t want those people come here. I hope the borders stay closed as long as possible, and people are only let in after mandatory 14 days quarantine. 

You have a source other than CNN or BBC ?

Many Scientists around the world have a very different opinion about Covid than you do.

This includes some of the leading Epidemiologists in the field .... but they are probably also "Covidiots"

Link to post
Share on other sites

I may not be a gynaecologist but I'm willing to have a damned good look, I'm also willing to take my poor medical knowledge and make profound popularist (okay that may be stretching it a bit) comments upon other things that I know very little about, however these views are good because they reveal how which way the population is thinking and they are not always as banal as they first appear. Only yesterday Trump stated that the American fires that have killed over 30 people are a result of "poor forest management"....he is a great man and was spot on. The deforestation of millions of acres of jungle is exactly just that - poor forest management on a global scale. This doctor's views are published because not in need of money his only pursuit is how many facebook likes he can get, he is obviously a thoroughly modern Thai. So on the basis that I as equally qualified as him, I don't think that Thailand should open it's borders to tourists for 10 years and as for the majority, well "let them eat cake"... nNow everyone please rush off to "Like" my facebook page as I relax, drink my latte and think up my next comment.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...