PM urges protesters to hold off rallies until Covid-19 crisis has ended

snoop1130

The students should wear masks and be safe. That's all that's needed. I think the rain from that depression might be the way the protests are dampered if indeed it does get to BKK.

On a side note, I wonder if the regime has people monitoring the student activity online. In the past there was lots of talk about the single gateway that would limit Thailand's freedom online. But the regime also was building a group of cyber people supposedly back then. I wonder if they can monitor traffic coming from Thammasat and other universities where a lot of students are interested in these protests.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I'm sure there's no plan to release any of those in quarantine with Covid into the rallies. Is there?

Would be pretty handy for our illustrious leader to be able to say, "I told you so," don't you think?

I guess I think like you and I'm not much into conspiracy but I don't trust those behind the regime. All they need is a volunteer to mask up most of the time and unmask around the leaders. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mark131v said:

He's predictable if nothing else, spends all week saying no problem with the rally then all of a sudden it's the third horseman of the apocalypse, man is a complete cretin and I wouldn't trust him to run a bath... 

Could you trust him to run out of sight on a moonless night? 

• Like 2

'COVID first': Thai PM warns protesters against raising virus risks

By Panarat Thepgumpanat

2020-09-17T124806Z_1_LYNXMPEG8G17J_RTROPTP_4_THAILAND-POLITICS.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Thailand's Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha, wearing a face mask, attends a family photo session with new cabinet ministers at the Government House in Bangkok, Thailand August 13, 2020. REUTERS/Jorge Silva/File Photo

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand's military-backed prime minister warned protesters on Thursday against heightening COVID-19 risks as they planned large anti-government demonstrations for the weekend.

Demonstrators have held two months of near-daily rallies to demand former junta leader Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha's removal and changes to a constitution they say were designed to extend military dominance after an election last year.

Prayuth, a former army chief who says he was fairly elected, said in a televised speech that he understood the grievances but urged demonstrators to put "COVID first" for now.

"When you gather in mobs, you are creating an enormous risk of new infections. And with that, you also create enormous risk to the livelihoods of tens of millions of fellow Thais," he said.

"Your protests delay economic recovery because you affect business confidence, and you affect the confidence of tourists to return to our country when we are ready to receive them."

Thailand has not seen a local coronavirus transmission for 14 days since Sept. 3, when a prison inmate tested positive after over 100 days of no new local cases.

Foes say Prayuth is exploiting the health situation.

"COVID is the government's last card, the only trick left up its sleeve, to undermine the legitimacy of the protests," said Anusorn Unno, a protester and lecturer at Bangkok's Thammasat University.

Protest leaders expect tens of thousands to gather at that university on Saturday and march to Government House on Sunday.

The university said last week it would not allow the gathering on its campus. Police also said marching to Government House could break a law prohibiting large gatherings near restricted sites.

The demonstrations, though largely peaceful, have revived memories of more than a decade of intermittent unrest and protracted street rallies that culminated in a 2014 coup led by Prayuth against the government of Yingluck Shinawatra.

(Writing by Patpicha Tanakasempipat; Editing by Andrew Cawthorne)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-09-18

• Sad 2