Dealing with Thai customs, anyone?

watthong

I've got stuff shipped from the US to Thailand pretty often. They all got here quite reliably even during  Covid time, once arriving in Thailand they went through Customs and then dispatched to the main local post office. From there, the post either delivered the package to me directly or sent me a notice to come pick it up (which means custom tax is due, or a couple of times because there was damage to the package itself.) This time however, Bangkok customs house sent me a notice to come to their office in Chaeng wattana to pick up my package. On the notice it doesn't cite any reason, nor any amount concerning customs duty and tax. One of the (two) red stamps on the notice says that I have 7 days to pick it up, or pay a fine (that's pretty harsh considering I live outside Bangkok.) The post office on the hand would hold packages for one month!

Does anyone have experience dealing with Customs house in this regard? There is nothing particular in my package: some skin cream jars from Walmart, a graphic card for my laptop, a history book, a couple of covers for my ipad, and the last item : a second hand half century old swiss mantle clock which I'm wondering is the cause for all this trouble, even though it isn't worth much? Might Custom consider that it is an antique object and want to scrutinize it somehow? 

Thank you in advance for any input anyone might come up with.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jojothai said:

The FDA want a prescription / thai doctors certificate. Regardless whether it is not a prescription or controlled product. Silly, why would i need a prescription when not necessary. Law is the law, TIT.

+1. You mention skin cream. If it's not Thai-FDA approved they'll likely confiscate it. With the clock I'd suggest looking up something similar on the internet, with a value showing, and printing that off to take with you. You can look up the HS tariff rate for clocks to get an idea of what you might be charged. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In my experience, if the value of the package is above 10,000 baht or the duty to be collected is above 10,00 baht (can't remember which), they ask you to come to customs. I've had to do this several times with watches I occasionally buy. In my case, though, it has always been to the customs office nearest to me, not Chaeng Wattana. Time consuming but not particularly painful. Take your invoices and proof of payment with you.

• Thanks 1

After reading all these problems I wonder if governments everywhere (not only in Thailand) exist to make life more difficult and miserable for the people.

It just seem to be so. When I went to buy my air ticket to go home I was told by the travel agent I need to get a letter from my embassy to permit me to buy the ticket. At my embassy I was told to download a form fill it up then I can get the letter.

So what do you think? Is this the idea of some big Ar..hole in the embassy of my country(not Thailand) ? Being a visitor do I carry a printer with me ? I had to look for an internet cafe to down load the form and pay to get it print. So the government of my country with its representative at the embassy never use its brain at all. And who is going to read the form that I filled up? The lady took the form I filled up and just drop it in a tray and I am sure it serves no purpose whatsoever other than making me lost money for the MRT journey and payment for printing the form.

There are ways to make things simple and easy for everybody.

If a group of stupid people form a government they will make life more troublesome, difficult and miserable for you.

When I was in my puberty my dad asked me what I wanted to be when I grow up. I said I wanted to be in the police force and he said, "I didn't know I have a stupid son".  The worse part was when he walked away without saying anything further.  I had this sunken feeling.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you everybody for very helpful comments/input. It's great to hear from different angles of the same experience, from where to go, how long the wait, what might be the gist of the affair and even whether to "tip" or not to "tip". So 3 possibilities:
1) My graphic board for the laptop might have aroused some weapon/arm-related suspicion. (Also, as suggested, the cirscumtancial combo of old mechanical clock + circuit board).
2) however it's the clock that I fear would get the most "bang for the bucks." It's got the brand (Imhof/Bucherer), probably manufactured in the 60's/70's, still in decent working condition. I got it on ebay for under 150 bucks (the shipping fee for the whole package was 130 however). 
3) Regarding the skin cream, it's over the counter item, I would let them discard it if they press for prescription.
I will try to call them today and hear what they say, will report back definitely.
Again, big thanks to all for chipping in with advice. Especially to Kerryd for a detailed and insightful report which is a big help!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kerryd said:

(if possible - I usually bring up the Amazon/AliExpress order invoice on my phone)

Especially with AliExpress you don't get an invoice, how can you proof the value?

I ask this because I order a camera at Ali, it stays for sinds 18 August on hold at 'customs clearance'

But not any message.

A couple of customs related points here:

1. It's always preferable here to ship parcels via your national postal service and then delivery by Thai Post, instead of having packages handled by the private couriers like DHL, FedEx, etc. Using private couriers almost guarantees customs duty will be charged and likely higher amounts than what you'd get thru the regular mail.

2. Although the government has talked about eliminating it, Thailand still appears to be applying a customs duty exemption policy for imported packages with value of 1500 baht or less per package, especially when Thai Post is handling the local delivery. Thus it can be more advantageous to divide up packages into smaller, less high valued amounts vs. combining everything into fewer, higher valued parcels.

3. I ship stuff routinely from the U.S., always use airmail and Thai Post for shipping, keep my per package values below the 1500 baht declared value threshold as much as possible, and almost never pay any VAT or customs duty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would swap anyone's 'bad' experience here with immigration for that which customs can impose on you. I import container fulls of goods and they can ask you at port of exit and entry to empty the whole container if they wish.

If anything is amiss they can fine you up to 10 times of the valuation they place on the items, and/or destroy the goods. 

My only advice to anyone importing is to be 100% honest, and check the wording on manifest, it can make a huge difference to the duties imposed.  Finally, for my business I use an 'agent' at any cost and leave it to them. 

See here for further details:

http://www.customs.go.th/list_strc_simple_neted.php?ini_content=individual_160503_03_160922_01&lang=en&left_menu=menu_individual_submenu_01_160421_02

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

Especially with AliExpress you don't get an invoice, how can you proof the value?

I ask this because I order a camera at Ali, it stays for sinds 18 August on hold at 'customs clearance'

But not any message.

With Ali, I open the My Orders and show them the purchase (Order Details). That's been enough proof (so far).

Note that vendors on Ali, like Lazada, apparently can enter information into the system to make it look like something is moving when in fact they haven't even made the item yet. Which is also why they have such a long window for opening disputes. I ordered a pair of shoes recently, was told they just shipped and according to Ali, if the item isn't delivered in 90 days I can get a refund.
90 days !!!

Basically, the manufacturer/vendor changes the order status to fool you into thinking they've actually shipped the item when in fact all they've done is assign it a shipping number.
I've had packages "held at Customs" for weeks, which you know is BS because otherwise the Customs warehouses would be overflowing with goods and it would take them months to sort the backlogs.
Then suddenly, 3 days later, the courier driver is at the door with the item, even though it supposedly hasn't even arrived in country yet ! (Like the motorcycle camera system I ordered a couple months ago. It supposedly sat in Customs in Singapore for nearly 3 weeks, then suddenly arrived at my door. I was checking the tracking almost daily and thought it was still in Singapore !

One thing I do is get the shipment number, then go to the couriers actual website and track it. That will often tell you the real truth. You may find the tracking number "can't be found" - because the vendor has only reserved the number but hasn't actually entered it into the system yet. 
(On the China Post website they note: "4)The seller did not ship the goods for some reason, for example “no stock” but plan to ship it later." as one of the reasons you may have a tracking number but it doesn't show in their system yet.)

For example, the shoes I noted above that supposedly just shipped. I have the tracking number, I went to the site where they say you can track the shipment - no record of the number. I went to the China Post homepage and tried it from there. No record of the number.
So basically the vendor has just assigned a number to my order to make it look like they are working quickly (and any blame for slow delivery can be directed at the courier instead of themselves).

I had an issue a few months ago where the vendor was telling me the shipment was delayed in Customs and then I showed them the screenshot of the courier (China Post) page where it showed "shipment cancelled by vendor". The ****s, for whatever reason, decided to cancel the shipment and then just sat there, maybe hoping I'd forget about it.
When I contacted them about it, they initially told me the shipment was "held up in Customs".
After I showed them the screenshot that said the shipment had been cancelled (by them) they told me to go to Ali and request a refund and they'd process it right away.
Which they didn't. Took me over a month before Ali finally refunded the money, even after I showed them that the vendor had cancelled the order (or the shipment at least) and said they'd refund the money right away.

(Lazada is much better and more efficient at processing refunds.)

I'd send the vendor a message asking for an update. Then check the tracking number on the site of whoever is supposed to be shipping the item. If it's a registered mail service (like China Post, or Thai EMS) it should appear on both of their websites. Assuming it's actually been shipped of course.

• Thanks 2

You will NOT pay taxes on used/personal articles: your book and swiss clock.

Only new items will be subjected to 7% VAT. Your PC graphic card, creams and ipad covers.

Thai customs decides which one is personal, used and/or new.

I had once sent plastic coveralls to work under my roof and had to pay +/-600 THB import taxes.

Believe me or not, but they've found also my safety harness suspicious.

The shock absorber is wrapped with a plastic cover as per image here below and they've made the interpretation that I was importing a new safety harness...

They've made an estimate of the value of my safety harness and I had to pay import taxes, included in the +/-600 THB.

note: If you can't provide an invoice they make the rough estimate for you.

SetRatioSize700600-2029.jpg

Edited by Thorgal

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

With Ali, I open the My Orders and show them the purchase (Order Details). That's been enough proof (so far).

Note that vendors on Ali, like Lazada, apparently can enter information into the system to make it look like something is moving when in fact they haven't even made the item yet. Which is also why they have such a long window for opening disputes. I ordered a pair of shoes recently, was told they just shipped and according to Ali, if the item isn't delivered in 90 days I can get a refund.
90 days !!!

Basically, the manufacturer/vendor changes the order status to fool you into thinking they've actually shipped the item when in fact all they've done is assign it a shipping number.
I've had packages "held at Customs" for weeks, which you know is BS because otherwise the Customs warehouses would be overflowing with goods and it would take them months to sort the backlogs.
Then suddenly, 3 days later, the courier driver is at the door with the item, even though it supposedly hasn't even arrived in country yet ! (Like the motorcycle camera system I ordered a couple months ago. It supposedly sat in Customs in Singapore for nearly 3 weeks, then suddenly arrived at my door. I was checking the tracking almost daily and thought it was still in Singapore !

One thing I do is get the shipment number, then go to the couriers actual website and track it. That will often tell you the real truth. You may find the tracking number "can't be found" - because the vendor has only reserved the number but hasn't actually entered it into the system yet. 
(On the China Post website they note: "4)The seller did not ship the goods for some reason, for example “no stock” but plan to ship it later." as one of the reasons you may have a tracking number but it doesn't show in their system yet.)

For example, the shoes I noted above that supposedly just shipped. I have the tracking number, I went to the site where they say you can track the shipment - no record of the number. I went to the China Post homepage and tried it from there. No record of the number.
So basically the vendor has just assigned a number to my order to make it look like they are working quickly (and any blame for slow delivery can be directed at the courier instead of themselves).

I had an issue a few months ago where the vendor was telling me the shipment was delayed in Customs and then I showed them the screenshot of the courier (China Post) page where it showed "shipment cancelled by vendor". The ****s, for whatever reason, decided to cancel the shipment and then just sat there, maybe hoping I'd forget about it.
When I contacted them about it, they initially told me the shipment was "held up in Customs".
After I showed them the screenshot that said the shipment had been cancelled (by them) they told me to go to Ali and request a refund and they'd process it right away.
Which they didn't. Took me over a month before Ali finally refunded the money, even after I showed them that the vendor had cancelled the order (or the shipment at least) and said they'd refund the money right away.

I'd send the vendor a message asking for an update. Then check the tracking number on the site of whoever is supposed to be shipping the item. If it's a registered mail service (like China Post, or Thai EMS) it should appear on both of their websites. Assuming it's actually been shipped of course.

Yes i agree, i have the same experience, but with this camera i got tracking number and a website where i can check the item, and here is the same 90 days, in case of.

But $450 is a lot of money, when i start complaining the vendor give me the tracking number and managed to tell triumphantly that is was already at customs in Thailand, that was 3 weeks age.

But until now, nothing from anybody only the vendor promised me discount when i order a next item....haha, how sweet.

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

90 days !!!

This is the tracking number (not complete) but I don't know the transporter.

verbeterd.jpg

2 hours ago, DaLa said:

I would swap anyone's 'bad' experience here with immigration for that which customs can impose on you. I import container fulls of goods and they can ask you at port of exit and entry to empty the whole container if they wish.

If anything is amiss they can fine you up to 10 times of the valuation they place on the items, and/or destroy the goods. 

My only advice to anyone importing is to be 100% honest, and check the wording on manifest, it can make a huge difference to the duties imposed.  Finally, for my business I use an 'agent' at any cost and leave it to them. 

See here for further details:

http://www.customs.go.th/list_strc_simple_neted.php?ini_content=individual_160503_03_160922_01&lang=en&left_menu=menu_individual_submenu_01_160421_02

I dont see your point. The law states everything needs marks and should be on the PL. If you violate the law you get penalties. I import containers months and if you have all you Is&Ts theres never a issue 

That's an odd looking tracking number.

Seems you aren't the only one having an issue with whichever vendor/courier uses that number format. Saw some posts from India of people having the exact same problem as you (except with Indian Customs). (Little over a year ago I think it was.)
And oddly enough, I went to 17Track and tried your tracking number and they say it can't be found. At all.

Untitled.jpg.42d4f4a025fdcd0b53ba7147d250c6b1.jpg

I can't see the package being stuck in Thai Customs for that long. Especially as I've had 5-6 things come from China in the same time frame (so it's not like they are holding up shipments from China for some reason).

I'd almost say that it's likely they haven't shipped the item at all, but then they'd have to be able to update the shipping data themselves. (They might have the ability to make some updates, or maybe have the courier company make some updates for them, to delay the delivery time. Especially if they are having a problem filling the order.)

Kind of like that order I mentioned before. I just looked it up again. The tracking info showed package picked up on 4 Jan. Arrived at Sorting Center, 4 Jan. Out for delivery - 7 Jan (say what ?) then "Returned to Sender" on 7 January.

When I looked at the same tracking number on the Thai EMS tracking page, the last entry was "Cancelled by Sender".

I found it odd that supposedly the package had been picked up, sent to a sorting center, listed as being "out for delivery" and then suddenly "returned to sender" for some unknown reason.
Unless it was the vendor themselves making updates in the tracking system (or getting their contact in the courier company to do it). 

Whatever the case, over a month in Customs ? I seriously doubt it.

I'd contact the vendor and tell them if it hasn't moved in the next couple of days, you are going to cancel the order.

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

That's an odd looking tracking number.

Seems you aren't the only one having an issue with whichever vendor/courier uses that number format. Saw some posts from India of people having the exact same problem as you (except with Indian Customs). (Little over a year ago I think it was.)
And oddly enough, I went to 17Track and tried your tracking number and they say it can't be found. At all.

Untitled.jpg.42d4f4a025fdcd0b53ba7147d250c6b1.jpg

I can't see the package being stuck in Thai Customs for that long. Especially as I've had 5-6 things come from China in the same time frame (so it's not like they are holding up shipments from China for some reason).

I'd almost say that it's likely they haven't shipped the item at all, but then they'd have to be able to update the shipping data themselves. (They might have the ability to make some updates, or maybe have the courier company make some updates for them, to delay the delivery time. Especially if they are having a problem filling the order.)

Kind of like that order I mentioned before. I just looked it up again. The tracking info showed package picked up on 4 Jan. Arrived at Sorting Center, 4 Jan. Out for delivery - 7 Jan (say what ?) then "Returned to Sender" on 7 January.

When I looked at the same tracking number on the Thai EMS tracking page, the last entry was "Cancelled by Sender".

I found it odd that supposedly the package had been picked up, sent to a sorting center, listed as being "out for delivery" and then suddenly "returned to sender" for some unknown reason.
Unless it was the vendor themselves making updates in the tracking system (or getting their contact in the courier company to do it). 

Whatever the case, over a month in Customs ? I seriously doubt it.

I'd contact the vendor and tell them if it hasn't moved in the next couple of days, you are going to cancel the order.

Sorry to say but of course I invalidated the tracking nummer, I don't like anybody on TV can follow the tracking number.

I only like to show the organisation who take care for the parcel.

If nothing will arrive, I try to get my money back through AliExpress.

But what you mention, have to wait 90 days....

Appreciate reading comments of others, I'm going through my First Thai customs experience now.

I had Vitamins (GNC) shipped via the USA MYUS.com using FedEx Economy, around $42.00 declared value. Shipped 3 Aug arrived SamutPrakarn on 7 Aug. Received email from FedEx agent on site few days later with form in English to be completed, and send along 5 copies of Passport pages and Original Passport. I did that minus Original Passport, received confirmation, wrong form sent, they send me a 5-page form in Thai to be completed, go figure and copies were okay. Few days later still need Original Passport, will send Courier to Pickup along with Thai form, I said No, not releasing my Original Passport to any Courier. Made special trip to Bangkok 9 Sep, provided copies and my Passport, waited for an Hour, they returned Passport and told me Package will be sent out, should arrive 2-3 business days. Waited nothing, now 22 Sep, inquiry with FedEx Thai HQ's with complaint why no package! Told I need to get an Import License from FDA. This is my second shipment hung-up with Thai Bureaucracy hassle, the first package in April went uninterrupted from States to Home 6 days.

So if anyone can shed any light on what to expect from FDA, what's involved, forms online, cost, personal appearance, etc that may have gone through something similar I would appreciate hearing from you. I really don't want to get an import License for 6 bottles of GNC Vitamins for Personal Use??? Frustrated!!!

5 hours ago, PaceArrow said:

Made special trip to Bangkok 9 Sep, provided copies and my Passport, waited for an Hour, they returned Passport and told me Package will be sent out, should arrive 2-3 business days. Waited nothing, now 22 Sep, inquiry with FedEx Thai HQ's with complaint why no package! Told I need to get an Import License from FDA. This is my second shipment hung-up with Thai Bureaucracy hassle, the first package in April went uninterrupted from States to Home 6 days.

So if anyone can shed any light on what to expect from FDA, what's involved, forms online, cost, personal appearance, etc that may have gone through something similar I would appreciate hearing from you. I really don't want to get an import License for 6 bottles of GNC Vitamins for Personal Use??? Frustrated!!!

Hello fellow Samut Prakanian, thank you for your account, OP here. Couldn't be more timely as I am prepared to go into town tomorrow to deal with this... 

I called Bangkok Custom House this morning and was also told about needing to have import license (CFO or something similarly abbreviated) for (or from?) FDA - for two <deleted> jars of skin cream purchased over the counter at Walmart! Based on what happened to you when coming in in person, I plan to tell them just dump those two jars into their discarded item bin and let me have the rest of my package. I rather lose part of the package then have it disappear into the Thai Custom black hole. Phew.

Btw, I use regular post so there's no middle man courier to get involved with except Thai post itself. I have shipped and received numerous packages throughout the years (always via post, no FEdex, DHL or whatever) and this is also my "First Thai customs experience" as well. As for plan B in case they say, "no you have to account for these two cream jars sent to you come hell or high water, we can't just let you walk away like that!" I better have the taxi waiting outside with the meter running...

• Like 1

On 9/21/2020 at 8:35 AM, jojothai said:

I had to go recently to the place on chaeng wattana 5.

I had some medication posted.

They want to check contents.

And send you to the FDA desk if there is any medication.

The FDA want a prescription / thai doctors certificate. Regardless whether it is not a prescription or controlled product. Silly, why would i need a prescription when not necessary. Law is the law, TIT.

Then Customs want to tax what they can. Tax includes cost of sending, the customs guy proudly pointed out, which doubled my cost value.

At the place you go in a big main entrance, to the right and straight into the big office.

Lady checks the paperwork, gives you a queue number, go outside and wait for your number.

Fairly busy when i was there, about 1.5 hrs queuing. Took over an hour for the FDA hassle and debate over shipping costs.

Made the trip to EMS Postal center (or whatchamacallit) yesterday. My experience mirrors that of jojothai. Turned out that they wanted me to open the package myself and then the guy would hover over and do the math:

Clock - custom duty 10% + vat (7%).
Graphic card, ipad cases - 20% + vat.
Skin cream - 30% + vat.
Shipping charges - 10% + vat.
The book somehow got overlooked.

Whenever I objected about personal vs commercial use, new vs. used, and especially the shipping charges being included in the calculation, invariably the young guy shook his head, pointing to a page posted at his desk, all in thai and said it's the laws.  At the end I realized that this is an exercise in futility, either you want your thing then pay, if not walk out empty handed. One small clue I got when sent over to the FDA window re the skin cream, the sweet lady there told me that I am allowed to have up to 6 jars/bottles/units of whatever stuff sent at one time. When I moaned about having to come here she explained that the reason I got called to come in was just random.

I ended up paying twice than what I was prepared for. I had planned that I would not pay more than 1000 baht for the 2 cream jars. But it was all or nothing and I ended up paying double that amount. I'm glad I opened this thread and got helpful advice from folks who've been there done that. It helped me keep my cool when feeling like fish being slayed on a chopping block. Here's the hindsight that makes me feel better: after all those years and dozens of packages shipped and received, I would say 1 out 3.5 cases I would need to go to the PO and pay vat, never customs duty. Maybe I've been very lucky and covid has reduced my chances of getting through customs. I figure this could be due to the fact that since the mass of shipments must have reduced significantly, so instead of arriving among 100 other packages, now mine will be seen among 10 others only, so the chance of being "randomly" selected will increase 10 fold. So beware,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/22/2020 at 4:27 PM, PaceArrow said:

I had not looked at the thread for some time. May be the following Can help.
The FDA showed me a typical form that they need from a doctor. See below.
They said a prescription, below it translates as Medical certificate.
Perhaps you could try a cheap clinic and see if they can do similar.
But I dont know if they will do this for vitamins. Could try and let us know.

When i had the problem at FDA, i argued that the medication was non-prescription but the FDA guy said that does not make any difference. I told him that i normally buy the item in Uk when i visit but cannot visit now 5 months because of Covid.
He agreed it is exceptional because of covid and agreed ok this time, but next time get a doctors certificate. Good man.
I still had to pay the duty.

customs prescription for fda.jpg