Foreigners in Thailand face fines and jail for overstaying as visa amnesty ends

snoop1130

20 minutes ago, rgrdns said:

"In the case of a foreigner surrendering to authorities"

Hands up high...????

The one time I was inadvertently (accidentally)  on 1 day overstay doing a "border run"  

I wore a T-shirt  saying  "WANTED in the County of Dude"     and to my shock  I was indeed a "WANTED" man.

500 baht fine  ????

2 hours ago, Elizway said:

How exactly does deporting 150,000 tourists help in the cleanup process? 

They need to find a use for the paddy wagons parked outside of immigration offices. They look like brand new and ready to go. I'm sure once they are fired up, their will be a run to the border or airport. 

Here's the thing...Folks that are stuck here due to the virus story had 6 months to figure out how to navigate staying in the Kingdom or how to safely leave...They were betting that the Thai Immigration would just slap on another temporary extension...that obviously backfired. It's not like Thailand is unconcerned about peoples health. Looking at the history of overstayers, border jumpers and folks for whatever reason not acquiring the proper visa to stay in Thailand using tourist visas to skirt around Thai immigration laws, it is no wonder that Thai Immigration is bent on enforcing the law...No different than almost all countries in the world that have strict immigration laws...what is somewhat comical, whilst ending the stay for trapped tourist, they are cautiously opening up for tourist to visit Thailand. The new plan will most likely backfire and new strategies will need to be developed to draw in the numbers that Thailand is targeting and once enjoyed....I understand and appreciate the caution and the pressure that Thai immigration is facing. I have (soon had) friends that were happily stuck here in Thailand, I suggested that they have an exit Strategy or plan B if another extension isn't offered...some of my friends did what most folks did that were stuck in Thailand, they betted on the Thai immigration offering another extension. 

Now they are heading home...I only hope they stay safe and I get to see them again one day, either here or there....

• Like 1

no need to throw rocks in a glass house.  (or whatever that saying is)

some people are happy and have enough for Thailand but not enough for back home

some people are fit and broke, others rich and fat

some hate everyone, some love everyone.  some have mental issues.  

some get nervous at a red light, others don't care about anything

We are all adults, and we are all responsible for our choices.  I'm not going to tell anyone what to do, I think they know already.  For me, the hardest thing is usually the best.  Now the hardest thing would be to go back home, but I'm fine with going.  

This isn't rocket science.  We all know what you need to retire, live, etc....  I'm not old enough.  

I do have one thing to say.......You can be fluent in Thai, nice to everyone, have kids, etc..... BUT if you don't have money then you are gone and nobody cares except you.    I just think that if you are treated like a bad step-child, find another parent.  

good luck to everyone.  next week will be interesting as many people will surely be on overstay.  if super rich, consider helping someone . 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, checkered flag said:

Where are you from? No country would do this unless you changed baht to US dollars.

You should get around more. India gives 1 year and 5 year multiple-entry tourist visas. The latter will cost you 100 $ if you're American or from the UK, for most others 80 $. Maximum stay at a time 180 days (US, UK), otherwise 90 days. And the visa is an e-visa, you get in online within 48 hours. Now howzzat?

Edited by Ganesh108
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ganesh108 said:

You should get around more. India gives 1 year and 5 year multiple-entry tourist visas. The latter will cost you 100 $ if you're American or from the UK, for most others 80 $. Maximum stay at a time 180 days (US, UK), otherwise 90 days. And the visa is an e-visa, you get in online within 48 hours. Now howzzat?

$450 for a Brit to get a 5 year (VFS UK)....... they don't like Brits, even though we civilised them.

Bloody ingrates!

Found another website saying $127 ..... so who knows.

https://www.ivisa.com/apply-online/india?nationality=GB&visa_type=5047

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Why would I help an overstayer who had months to settle up, or get a go fund me account started.

Because that way they will never learn and continue making terrible decisions. Ask their parents to increase their allowance, might work. If not move back home and make them pay the price.

51 minutes ago, Ganesh108 said:

Well your next stop should be Indra but not for me.

33 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

$450 for a Brit to get a 5 year (VFS UK)....... they don't like Brits, even though we civilised them.

Bloody ingrates!

Found another website saying $127 ..... so who knows.

https://www.ivisa.com/apply-online/india?nationality=GB&visa_type=5047

This is the official India visa site https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/

There are a few scamming or agents' websites, which pretend to be official, so watch out which site you use. Of course, at the moment the visa system is suspended. 5 year visa = 100 $ for citizens of the UK, US and a few others.  On top there's a tiny service fee for the card payment, to the tune of 3 $ or so.

I've used the Indian e-visa system many times, it works great. The 5 year visa is fairly new, came into being in autumn 2019. Before that it was only up to 1 year. They also have 30 day visas, the fees (minimal anyway) changing depending if you travel in season or off-season.

UK and US citizens can also get 10 year visas, but only from official outsourced visa offices in their home countries, not off the website.

Hello Thailand, it could all be so easy!

Edited by Ganesh108
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ventenio said:

I do have one thing to say.......You can be fluent in Thai, nice to everyone, have kids, etc..... BUT if you don't have money then you are gone and nobody cares except you.    I just think that if you are treated like a bad step-child, find another parent.  

Sad indictment of the society wouldn't you say?

54 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Sad indictment of the society wouldn't you say?

Sad indeed.  Society is to blame for everything that some people don't like. It's to blame when people max out their credit cards and can't pay because society didn't remind them that would happen etc etc.

37 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

yea, yea, i get it....don't help anyone.  let's hope they all suffer and cry back home and have miserable lives and never come back and learn their lesson and we will be better humans for having them suffer.

when the world does nothing to help other humans.........the species is finished.

i've given away about 100,000 baht worth of stuff to locals over the years.  i do think i'm a better person for it.  feels good to give

ok, carry on, and when you are bleeding in the streets and someone yells, "don't call an ambulance, let him bleed....he must learn not to be in the streets!!!"   then karma will smile.  i didn't say help everyone, just help someone if you can.  being selfish is the worst life possible.  

Your just hilarious, and still want free handouts given to those that should have made the hard choice and decisions awhile ago, you just do not get it do you.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 1:30 PM, CorpusChristie said:
On 9/22/2020 at 1:29 PM, smudger1951 said:

Is'nt Thailand just wonderfull, trying to kick out people when there are no scheduled flights in or out of the country. I'm sure many would love to get out now in the present xeno climate.

There are flights out of the Country and there has been throughout the pandemic

Yes there are but check some of the more recent threads on current flight availability. Schedules seem to change at short notice, some airlines only transit through BKK while others only allow one-way bookings. It's more perilous as I assume the Thai repatriation flights are reducing in frequency and AFAIK the CAAT hasn't made any decision about reopening Thai skies since their 2 July 'repatriation flights only' public notice.

Or

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Yes there are but check some of the more recent threads on current flight availability. Schedules seem to change at short notice, some airlines only transit through BKK while others only allow one-way bookings. It's more perilous as I assume the Thai repatriation flights are reducing in frequency and AFAIK the CAAT hasn't made any decision about reopening Thai skies since their 2 July 'repatriation flights only' public notice.

Or

NanLaew, you need to read those article especially the one with the flight cancelation.  It seems it was an agent and the only flight that was actually canceled was an in-country flight and not the actual international flight.  Still many flying out bound.

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

NanLaew, you need to read those article especially the one with the flight cancelation.  It seems it was an agent and the only flight that was actually canceled was an in-country flight and not the actual international flight.  Still many flying out bound.

Thanks for that correction. It did take the OP some time to work out that was the issue and not the international leg. However, although there are still flights to Europe, their frequency isn't a given and the ability to book them online using the airline's own website isn't an option for some of the airlines quoted like KLM who are no longer boarding passengers on their BKK stopovers. EVA's website only allows one-way ticket purchases which can trip up those looking for the normally cheaper r/t. It's a bit of a minefield at the moment.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Thanks for that correction. It did take the OP some time to work out that was the issue and not the international leg. However, although there are still flights to Europe, their frequency isn't a given and the ability to book them online using the airline's own website isn't an option for some of the airlines quoted like KLM who are no longer boarding passengers on their BKK stopovers. EVA's website only allows one-way ticket purchases which can trip up those looking for the normally cheaper r/t. It's a bit of a minefield at the moment.

Just before midnight flight .....single flight, 2 days ago from the Thai KLM site English version ….!!  Fly in as cargo and take Passengers out BKK to Amsterdam 

KLM September (3).png

KLM October (1).png

Edited by david555

3 minutes ago, Elizway said:

28 pages and still no one has given any possible reasoning to the rationale behind this decision to kick out 150,000 paying customers. 

Seems to be a lot of haters here too. 

Its not 150 000 people though .

Many of those people could get a visa extension, but they were waiting and  seeing whether they would get a free extension on an extended amnesty .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Virt said:

Why don't Thailand just make a 1 or 5 year visa. 12,000 baht for a year or 5 year 50,000 baht

End this crazy visa nightmare. 

Agreed. Thailand should also match UK pension for every sexpat over 40.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Elizway said:

28 pages and still no one has given any possible reasoning to the rationale behind this decision to kick out 150,000 paying customers. 

Seems to be a lot of haters here too. 

They aren't paying customers and avoid keeping money in the Thai bank (financials) of paying for extensions. At least they could pay through an agent but they don't want to do that either. Nothing but a free ride will make them happy. I don't hate anyone, but this group disgusts me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, rott said:

I wonder how accurate this figure of 150,000 is. I just don't see it. Doubt there will ever be any sort of breakdown. 

I don't see it either, but I believe it includes all those relying on yearly border runs for fresh visas and 90 day runs. Of course this hasn't been possible with closed borders. 

This was always, IMO, a work a round and not popular with immigration. In fact some consulates had tightened up so this group was always looking for new alternative counselates.

They aren't tourist for the most part. The real tourist went home to their jobs.

Edited by checkered flag
  • Like 1