Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Retirement Visa: Scary Stuff?

1 hour ago, ehgnyc said:

I had finally come around to the idea that a little bribe money (through an agent) might be necessary in these frightening times. But signing up for serious criminal activity?

Where is the 'bribe' and criminal activity? Agents are asking a 'fee' for their service like any business and IO's are free to allow any foreigner they deem fit to be allowed to extend their stay in the country.

Only criminal risk the agents who use their own rubber stamps to issue fakes or any rogue IO's. I never use an agent so am not sure how you spot the fakes, others can help there.

Edited by Hamus Yaigh
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Here, here, I was originally on the retirement extension (first year) as immigration sort of forced it down my throat, but the next year I changed it to the marriage extension, they didn't like it, but I take up the challenge every year (5th now).

Once you get the hang of it and are organised, it's easy to scan all your documents onto your computer to print off every year, when time comes, press print x 2, go to bank, get letter, same time photos, while waiting for letter and photos, cross the road to the Amphur and get an updated Kor Ror 2 (marriage document update), then off to immigration once you collect the bank letter and photos, then after 30-60 minutes at immigration, return in a month later and collect stamp in passport, how difficult can it be, well to be honest signing every page is time consuming ????

Good advice.

Every November I think about changing from retirement to marriage extension, but what puts me off is the consequences of either a divorce or the wife passing, meaning I'd have to restart a retirement stay. Easier just to forget the 800k which I have been doing for 3 years. Took 20 minutes in and out the last renewal.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Here, here, I was originally on the retirement extension (first year) as immigration sort of forced it down my throat, but the next year I changed it to the marriage extension, they didn't like it, but I take up the challenge every year (5th now).

Once you get the hang of it and are organised, it's easy to scan all your documents onto your computer to print off every year, when time comes, press print x 2, go to bank, get letter, same time photos, while waiting for letter and photos, cross the road to the Amphur and get an updated Kor Ror 2 (marriage document update), then off to immigration once you collect the bank letter and photos, then after 30-60 minutes at immigration, return in a month later and collect stamp in passport, how difficult can it be, well to be honest signing every page is time consuming ????

The problem was always the 2,000 people in front of me, most of whom appeared to be slightly retarded or suffering from dementia, not to mention the VISA agents pushing in with another 20 applications each.

Different when Chiang Mai had appointments you could book.

But easier now that all the other foreigners have been forced to leave.

Saigon was much easier with no queues of people, no reams of paper, just walk in pay, and collect the next day.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FYI

a friend of mines dad just applied for, and got a 3 month no o, converted from a visa exempt entry from back in March

18,000 baht, no bank book needed, didn't need visit  immigration

if he wants to than add a 1 year extension it would cost 14,000 baht more

Used Grace at thai visa....on my recommendation.

IN Phuket, you need a non immigrant visa to open a bank account.

SO if you have the 800,000, use an agent for your 90 day non O an than get your 1 year extension on your own ( 1,900 baht)

Edited by zzzzz
  • Confused 1

42 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

I am from the USA and almost seven years on retirement visa and it could not be any easier.

yes the first time it seems hard to get the money in the bank.

but once you get the 800,000 baht in a fixed savings Bangkok Bank account just leave it there and all your problems will go away.

that is the equivalent of traveling first class.  

then all you will need once a year is a letter from the bank, your passbooks, passport, copy of your lease, a map to your house (maybe) and photo copies and photos of you all done at immigration. It takes me about three hours a year to do my retirement extension of stay.

always do our home work and know what is required. if you come unprepared to immigration they will take advantage of you and try to hook you up with a agent. that is the nature of corruption in Thailand. 

if you go the income method that is equivalent to traveling second class as there is all the paperwork and paranoid all year long of making sure you don't accidentally drop below requirements. and they will go over all your paper work looking for a problem.

if you can't make the basic requirements for your extension then you are in the third class car and then you will need a agent and immigration will love to take advantage of you. poor people are always preyed upon all over the world and especially so in Thailand.

sorry but this is how Thai immigration sees everyone.  

and remember many on this forum complain about immigration simply because they can't meet the basic requirements for their visa.

And not a mention of sex or females!   LOL

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, stuarty said:

What do you mean "same time photos"?

While the bank is doing the letter, I go two doors up and get photos taken, then I go across the road to the Amphur for the Kor Ror 2, when given, cross over to collect the photos and then down to the bank for the letter, I mean who wants to wait around for anything ?

28 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Good advice.

Every November I think about changing from retirement to marriage extension, but what puts me off is the consequences of either a divorce or the wife passing, meaning I'd have to restart a retirement stay. Easier just to forget the 800k which I have been doing for 3 years. Took 20 minutes in and out the last renewal.

Each to their own.

A divorce will never happen in our marriage, as for the wife passing told her she can't go before me because I can't look after 4 kids, they do my head in as it is, and if we ever did get a divorce, the kids are hers ????

Agree retirement visa appears easier, but has its consequences, take for example when they shut the country down, who was let back in first, not even those on the Elite visa could get in before the marriage extension guys and if I was on the Elite and paying 500,000 for the privilege well the word Elite for that visa just went down the gurgler.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I have more money than most (ok I will boast), but why on earth would I want to throw 500,000 baht or a 100,000 baht a year out the window when I can get the extension for 1,900 baht a year or 9,500 baht over 5 years.

A cheap Charlie I am not, but maybe the elite has been designed for those under 50 who cannot get the retirement visa or those who aren't married and if that's the case, well that probably works nicely for them to get their annual pass to live in the LOS.

Exactly.

I was approved earlier this year and was going the Elite visa route.

hang on, 500k as a present?

Went to affidavit route and all was done quickly and saved me 500k

• Like 1

Some banks will only open an account for you if you have the appropriate visa.  That puts you in a catch 22 situation.  You can't get the visa without the money in a bank account, and you can't open a bank account without the visa.  I found that Bangkok bank would open the account for me but some banks like SCB would not. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saltire said:

Good advice.

What puts me off is the prospect of having my Australian age pension cut by 10,000 baht per month when Centrelink puts me on the couple's pension.

21 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

I found that Bangkok bank would open the account for me but some banks like SCB would not. 

SCB has always been very restrictive when it comes to opening bank accounts for foreigners. Bangkok Bank is a better bet, perhaps shopping around a bit, if one particular branch is hesitant.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Some banks will only open an account for you if you have the appropriate visa.  That puts you in a catch 22 situation.  You can't get the visa without the money in a bank account, and you can't open a bank account without the visa.  I found that Bangkok bank would open the account for me but some banks like SCB would not. 

I haven't tried it but I have heard plonking a large wad of cash on the teller's window and asking to open an account can work wonders.

14 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Doubt it. But if you really want an account with SCB, a recommendation letter from an existing customer might help.

Just joking

Agree my KTB account was easy to open as a neighbour friend of the wife works there. Only banks near me are KTB, Thanachart and Government Savings bank so limited choice anyway.