Retirement Visa: Scary Stuff?

3 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

When going every 1-2 years to your home-country (e.g. to visit family/friends), you can apply there for a Non Imm O-A Visa at the Thai Embassy/Consultate.  That Visa will allow you to stay almost 2 years IO hassle-free in Thailand, with NO need to EVER having to visit an IO.  And as an extra bonus NO need to park or transfer funds to a Thai bank-account.

When you are in your home-country sometime at the end of the 2nd year you can simply re-apply for a NEW Non Imm O-A Visa there (or when inconvenient to return at that time, do one or more border-runs before returning to your home-country).

The OA was a good idea pre-covid, 17,000 bht to an agent took care of it. Until exchange rates increase or covid goes away I'll stick with an agent.

• Confused 1

On 9/22/2020 at 8:08 AM, ehgnyc said:

No I don't. Any advice? I had one in Cambodia, but it was opened for me by my job. I asked at a few banks here and they said no. I hear it can be difficult for US citizens.

I opened an account when I was here on a tourist visa.  Try Bangkok Bank.  I asked at several different banks and they all told me to go to Bangkok Bank.  Even then, I had to try several different branches (in ChiangMai) before I found one that would/could do it.  But that was more than a year ago, before all this COVID stuff.  Good luck.

30 minutes ago, ExTexan said:

I opened an account when I was here on a tourist visa.  Try Bangkok Bank.  I asked at several different banks and they all told me to go to Bangkok Bank.  Even then, I had to try several different branches (in ChiangMai) before I found one that would/could do it.  But that was more than a year ago, before all this COVID stuff.  Good luck.

Yes , I also opened mine at Bangkok bank on a tourist visa but it was a few years ago.

The theory then was to apply in a bank where foreigners are plentiful as the bank will have experience dealing with us . At the time I tried about 8 different branches of 3 banks ( including Bangkok Bank ), each one said I needed a work permit.

Eventually tried BB at Future Park, Rangsit, no problem whatsoever.

Don’t know if this logic still applies but it is where I would start if I needed a new bank account.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jessc said:

SCB bank and Krungsri should allow US citizens to open accounts (provided you meet other requirements to open an acct), but you have to fill out the FATCA form that the US government requires. Most other banks in Thailand have opted out of participating in FATCA, so they won't open accounts for US citizens. Google FATCA if you aren't familiar with it.

I have not heard of any Thai bank "opting out" of FATCA, and to the best of my knowledge they don't have that option. Thailand signed an intergovernmental agreement with the US to implement FATCA here, and thereby obligated Thai financial institutions to comply.

Of course, any bank can refuse to open an account for an American if they so choose, but they will still have to ask everyone who comes in to certify that they aren't subject to FATCA (which applies to a variety of "US persons", not just US citizens), and to file FATCA-related paperwork every year. I'm not aware of any Thai financial institution with a blanket policy of rejecting American account holders, though some may not allow US citizens to buy certain investment products.

Whoa,,,,, back up a little. You gotta few things back to front here which has now been explained.

Many banks are hesitant to open US citizens bank accounts because of all the extra reporting that the US makes mandatory,

not the Thai banks

Obviously Immigration would like you to use an agent as the "tea money" is always gratefully recieved in particular if a T is not crossed or an i has no dot      Wink, wink

21 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Many banks are hesitant to open US citizens bank accounts because of all the extra reporting that the US makes mandatory,

All they need is SSN of US Persons and a line or two of computer code and that was taken care of well in the past.  Have not seen any recent reports that account opening issues has anything to do with being a US Citizen and those previously were mostly speculation rather than factual in my understanding.  

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, KhunFred said:

Not much English spoken in Turkey. Moldova is even cheaper.

I am sure you were joshing us when you mentioned Moldova, but..... 

Foreigners are only allowed to stay 90 days in 6 months. They drive on the right. 

No indication of weather/temperatures/seasons. Bargirls, beer prices.

Can you help.? 

9 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

>> I PM-ed you a Guideline document on how to meet the now required thai IO-approved health-insurance requirement when applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country.

In case your existing insurance policy does not meet the Thai IO-requirements, I also attached some information on how to apply for the Thai LMG Insurance Plan 1 policy, which is the cheapest option on the market to meet that health-insurance requirement.

Just got back to my computer to download it. Thanks again!

On 9/22/2020 at 5:39 PM, KhunFred said:

Not much English spoken in Turkey. Moldova is even cheaper.

I have lived in Turkey for 2 1/2 years with most likely another year to go.

While true there is not a lot of english spoken, there is enough to get you through daily life.  Also, with today's translation technology there is no reason language should be a barrier.

In my time here I have never felt uncomfortable or threatened in any way.  I have never had anything but positive response, smiles and "good, good" when some one learns I am american.  The people out in street are not big fans of the government, so what is seen on TV is all from one man, not the people.  

They like food, alcohol and good times.  Can't speak to the bars, here with wife and 3 kids, but the food is pretty darn good.  One can live cheaply.  Driving is as bad as Thailand without the motorbikes.

Not a bad place to be if you have to be somewhere.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 86Tiger said:

I have lived in Turkey for 2 1/2 years with most likely another year to go.

While true there is not a lot of english spoken, there is enough to get you through daily life.  Also, with today's translation technology there is no reason language should be a barrier.

In my time here I have never felt uncomfortable or threatened in any way.  I have never had anything but positive response, smiles and "good, good" when some one learns I am american.  The people out in street are not big fans of the government, so what is seen on TV is all from one man, not the people.  

They like food, alcohol and good times.  Can't speak to the bars, here with wife and 3 kids, but the food is pretty darn good.  One can live cheaply.  Driving is as bad as Thailand without the motorbikes.

Not a bad place to be if you have to be somewhere.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to it! Thailand isn't a happy place these days so not really sorry to move on. Time for a new adventure. Also, I've been to around 45 countries in my life, so language never worries me. I get by.

Edited by ehgnyc
  • Like 1

On 9/21/2020 at 9:50 PM, Nout said:

Stop whinging. Agents are there to help you. They are not illegal. They help an obvious, legal naive newbie like you get your feet on the ground in the face of an initial beaurcratic nightmare.  Be grateful they are there for you. If you are so negative already then may this is not the place for you.

sure, agents are legal.....they pay the IO's to break the rules, but it's all legal.

• Haha 1

You should have either 800000 in Thai bank for 2 months prior to apply for retirement visa, your pension is 65000 bhat a month or combination of the two. If you have proof of financial need you can get non immigrant O visa from another country which is valid for 3 months and when in Thailand change that to retirement visa. If you have a tourist visa also you can first change that to non immigrant O visa I Thailand by paying the fee I think 2000 bhat and then change that to retirement visa. About the agent done will do it that way by paying anything between 14000 to 20000.

On 9/21/2020 at 9:39 PM, StayinThailand2much said:

SCB has always been very restrictive when it comes to opening bank accounts for foreigners. Bangkok Bank is a better bet, perhaps shopping around a bit, if one particular branch is hesitant.

Citibank treats you well if you deposit a big chunk in there.......

On 9/22/2020 at 8:44 AM, jaideedave said:

The agent route is best for me and several others I know of.I once talked to an agent and she said her fee of 12k , 10 k went to her immigration contact and she only received 2 k ?

It's an entirely selfish route and takes away the incentive for IOs to operate in a fair manner with foreigners who wish to do things by the book, because refusing them means they can get rich via corruption.

Edited by Promula
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/22/2020 at 3:01 PM, Peter Denis said:

When having entered Thailand Visa Exempt or on a Tourist Visa and applying at your local IO for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement (you still need at least 15 days left on your permission to stay at the moment of application) and using the 800K funds-in-bank method, you need to provide evidence of the foreign oriigins of the funds.

When already on a Non Imm O Visa and applying for the 1-year extension of stay for reason of retirement, and when using the 800K funds-in-bank method, you only need to provide evidence that the funds have been seasoned on your personal thai bank-account for at least two months at the moment of application (with no need to prove the foreign origins of the funds).

So to clarify, when applying for the initial 3 month non o retirement, you can transfer the 800k from overseas the day before?

23 minutes ago, Promula said:

So to clarify, when applying for the initial 3 month non o retirement, you can transfer the 800k from overseas the day before?

NON O visa for reason of being over 50 via an embassy OVERSEAS?
yes, only needs be there one day will get ya a 90 day Non O visa

Extensions 2 months in advance

so gives ya time to have it seasoned. 

16 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

NON O visa for reason of being over 50 via an embassy OVERSEAS?
yes, only needs be there one day will get ya a 90 day Non O visa

Extensions 2 months in advance

so gives ya time to have it seasoned. 

No, in country. I thought the visa obtained at embassies overseas is called an oa and needs proof of funds in that country, not Thailand.

4 hours ago, Promula said:

It's an entirely selfish route and takes away the incentive for IOs to operate in a fair manner with foreigners who wish to do things by the book, because refusing them means they can get rich via corruption.

It gives foreigners who do not qualify fully an avenue to live in Thailand.

It also relieves many of the effort and irritation of dealing with the process, that they may actually qualify for, and could do themselves... but prefer not to.

I assure you IOs can and do and would operate in a similar way even if agents were not around to facilitate things.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 9:19 AM, Henryford said:

My advice would be to not use an (illegal) agent. Once you go down that route you are stuffed. Only for desperate people.

What do you mean by that? Obviously one should not use an agent who is actually committing a crime by issuing fake stamps, but I suspect the vast majority are obtained legally via "improper" means that is, bribery. 

2 hours ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

I suspect the vast majority are obtained legally via "improper" means that is, bribery. 

This is a guilt-delusion. Since when was a government official doing something for a bribe defined as doing it "legally"?

Edited by Promula
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Promula said:

This is a guilt-delusion. Since when was a government official doing something for a bribe defined as doing it "legally"?

It is what it is. Especially at the moment when many foreigners are desperate and when many immigration officers themselves are pushing applicants towards agents. Corruption is part and parcel of living in developing countries like Thailand. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Promula said:

No, in country. I thought the visa obtained at embassies overseas is called an oa and needs proof of funds in that country, not Thailand.

wrong.

overseas  you can get an NON O or a Non O-A
ur choice

Most of us on extensions had non o visas to start

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

It is what it is. Especially at the moment when many foreigners are desperate and when many immigration officers themselves are pushing applicants towards agents. Corruption is part and parcel of living in developing countries like Thailand. 

"many immigration officers themselves are pushing applicants towards agents."

That's bs. If you meet the requirements you will always get your visa/extension. If not, you might need an agent. Most people complaining didn't come up with correct documents and got rejected. 

• Like 2