Aussies flabbergasted by Pattaya’s inept attempt to bury wires

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Siam Chon news went to Pattaya Klang to investigate the latest developments in the burying of wires at the resort. 

They reported that the work has resulted in many metal plates being inserted in road surfaces all over Pattaya.

Some had shifted in the floods.

Others were sealed with some makeshift asphalt. 

Everywhere was evidence of places being dug up again and again after the work should have been completed.

This, they said, has resulted in many accidents for foreign tourists and locals. 

At the scene of their visit were two incredulous Australians who asked:

"Do you think it is a good idea doing it like this?"

"Do you think they should have covered it completely (in asphalt)?

10pm2.jpg

Picture: Siam Chon news

The reporters didn't have an answer to this but posed some of their own about whether such things happened in their country.

"No, we don't have because we never do something stupid like that," came back the reply. 

From my observations on the ground the metal plates are here because

the work is not finished yet.

Then when the next work start in the same area

they don't have to dig in concrete, they just take out the metal plate.

It's true it's dangerous, particularly for the scooters and for some reasons the work

takes ages to be completed (Can be few weeks or few months) but when they have finished

the metal plates are definitively removed and a decent concrete cover is put in place.

Just need to be patient and (As usual) you have to be very careful if you drive a scooter

• Haha 1

This is how they do it in Bangkok as well. They dig the hole, and cover it with metal sheet. They remove the sheet when they do the work, and replace it so road can reopen when they're done for the day. Once it's all done, they remove it and put concrete plate and new asphalt over it.

Do the Aussies in Pattaya expect that at the end of work every day they'll put on new asphalt just to dig it up again the next day?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

"Do it properly the first time so you don't have to do it again," they continued. 

555    that's something not acceptable here and also in many other SEA countries, they don't understand logic, for them if they fix it properly the first time it means no more work for later

• Like 1

5 hours ago, In the jungle said:

When I was planning the underground power supply for an irrigation system here in doing my research I looked at how Australia do this stuff.

They use the kerb as a reference point and all the utilities are under the pavement as opposed to the road.  Dimensions from the kerb are standardised.  So power will be x cm from the kerb and y cm down, water will be w cm from the kerb and z cm down and so on.

Perfectly logical and it means that while the guys digging something up would normally have a drawing to work from even if they don't they are still pretty sure to dig in the right place.

You said Perfectly Logical . That's Back home in Aus. 

No Western Logic here ,Only Thai Logic ,Thai logic is Different .    

When they were doing work in Soi Khao Noi they used steel plates, eventually when all the work was done they came back and laid fresh concrete.

I suspect that Soi will see the same, better to do the steelplates than keep the soi closed for months on end to give them whingers something to really cry about.

Edited by Don Mega
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, StevieAus said:

That may be what occurs now in newer areas but hasn’t always been the  the case, from what I recall water mains and some other utilities are often under the roads.

They forever seemed to be digging up the roads in Sydney one group will finish then another group will arrive and do something else no coordination.

I may have got that part wrong and they measure outward from the kerb into the road.  I am not an Aussie and I was remembering a paper on the subject from years ago.  Whichever way it is it is a good system.  Paper covered in detail cable specifications for underground use and when further external protection is required.

9 minutes ago, SidJames said:

Wait until the local 'entrepreneurs' realise how much those plates will get them in scrap.

2400 by 1200 by 20 sheet is worth about Bt.3200 in scrap value.

That sheet weighs about 450kg so they'd have had a hearty breakfast !!

Edited by Don Mega

The draining and resurfacing of soi 9 Kao Noi is complete, I think! (Only because they have begun on soi 13?)  It took the best part of eight months to re-open the road then there were the inevitable 'corrections'.  I estimate eight excavations where the set concrete was dug up and some forgotten pipe(?) was inserted.  Not all on the same day of course.

23 hours ago, In the jungle said:

When I was planning the underground power supply for an irrigation system here in doing my research I looked at how Australia do this stuff.

They use the kerb as a reference point and all the utilities are under the pavement as opposed to the road.  Dimensions from the kerb are standardised.  So power will be x cm from the kerb and y cm down, water will be w cm from the kerb and z cm down and so on.

Perfectly logical and it means that while the guys digging something up would normally have a drawing to work from even if they don't they are still pretty sure to dig in the right place.

they only KNOW drawings of thai food !!!!

On 9/30/2020 at 6:47 PM, In the jungle said:

Bit hard to put them under the pavement on roads that have no pavements. Many of the sois have no pavements. Buakhao has pavements but encroached by the restaurants and bars.

7 hours ago, mikebell said:

The draining and resurfacing of soi 9 Kao Noi is complete, I think! (Only because they have begun on soi 13?)  It took the best part of eight months to re-open the road then there were the inevitable 'corrections'.  I estimate eight excavations where the set concrete was dug up and some forgotten pipe(?) was inserted.  Not all on the same day of course.

I remember riding past and seeing them working on the section from Khoi Noi to the crest of the rise on Soi 9.

Few weeks later, it's done. Less than 4 weeks after the new roadway was laid, I had to dodge 3 separate spots where people had put out traffic cones and started chewing up the new surface. 

To do something they should have down before the new surface was laid. (There wasn't any new construction in those 3 spots. I can't imagine why they would see the work being done right in front of them, then wait for a couple weeks after it was finished to go tear it up.)

Is that something they teach in the schools here ? 

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Bit hard to put them under the pavement on roads that have no pavements. Many of the sois have no pavements. Buakhao has pavements but encroached by the restaurants and bars.

Buakkhao has NO pavement

the few parts with concrete are not restaurants and bars encroachment

there are the part of the sideroad covered with concrete by the bars and restaurants.

You can clearly see in the parts where there are no business there is no pavement at all.

It's the same in most of the soi in this area (Soi Diana, Soi lk metro, soi lengkee, soi chayapoon and so on) where the road is shared by the foodcards, the walkers (Drunk or not) the scooter, the cars, the taxis and few others users in an incredible chaos and honestly i am still surprised there aren't more accidents because of the lack of sidewalk

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1

On 10/1/2020 at 11:24 PM, kingofthemountain said:

Buakkhao has NO pavement

the few parts with concrete are not restaurants and bars encroachment

there are the part of the sideroad covered with concrete by the bars and restaurants.

You can clearly see in the parts where there are no business there is no pavement at all.

It's the same in most of the soi in this area (Soi Diana, Soi lk metro, soi lengkee, soi chayapoon and so on) where the road is shared by the foodcards, the walkers (Drunk or not) the scooter, the cars, the taxis and few others users in an incredible chaos and honestly i am still surprised there aren't more accidents because of the lack of sidewalk

We'll have to agree to disagree.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Sorry again but if you bother to watch this video

you can clearly see you are wrong

from 0 to 5 minutes the video is in south Pattaya road

where you can clearly see the sidewalk

from 5 minutes to the end the video is in Soi Bukkhao

where cyou can clearly see there is no sidewalk

(The limit public\private space is delimited by the place of the electrics poles)

Edited by kingofthemountain