COVID-19 vaccine roll-out expected in less than 3 months in UK - The Times

rooster59

2 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

I have about a .005 chance of dying from Covid-19. The risk of the health issues from a rapidly developed vaccine of a type never before used, is surely in the 0.1 percentile, if not 1% or higher. Since there is no time for trials. Seems to be me the foolish move would be to take the vaccine.

Yea but that only applies to Canadians.  :cheesy:

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

The only scaremongering is from uneducated conspiracy theorists, or supposed experts who have no background in virology or producing vaccines. 

The vaccines are being tested right now, what do you think they are doing? Sat around twiddling their thumbs and waiting for someone online to tell them the 'evidence' is in?

And what exactly are these test doing to explain possible long term effects?

They are obviously rushing. Rushing does not cut it with this stuff if you have your sanity. The only people that should even consider this vaccine are the extremely high risk category.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

No, it is common sense. If a vaccine is more risky than the disease, why take it? If everybody took it there would be more people sick than if no one took it.

But who says the vaccine is risky?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

I have about a .005 chance of dying from Covid-19. The risk of the health issues from a rapidly developed vaccine of a type never before used, is surely in the 0.1 percentile, if not 1% or higher. Since there is no time for trials. Seems to be me the foolish move would be to take the vaccine.

When I went to Asia everyone in Germany always said it would be a high risk. I always replied "No risk, no fun" 

I would take any risk to get from Germany back to Thailand if I weren't here already. Including the vaccination side-effects. I would of course take a look at the paper inside the medicine box. 

A posttraumatic stress disorder in Germany would certainly be worse, and in Germany my knee is not so good (so a risk to stumble) And last not least : I kind of disgust the German mentality that would see people like me rather behind bars than in the land of the free. 

Edited by micmichd

7 minutes ago, scorecard said:

But who says the vaccine is risky?

It take years to ensure a vaccine is safe and even approved vaccines injure people every year. So therefore this vaccine will be risky. But on top of that, the vaccine being developed is an mRNA vaccine which will essential modify your DNA. That has not been done before. The trial evidence is insufficient, and therefore it is risky. Especially if have not yet had children.

The only people that should consider a vaccine are those at high risk.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

I love it when people start quoting %, they normally pluck them out of a place we’ll not talk about.

Go on, prove me wrong.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/01/coronavirus-vaccine-trial-participants-exhaustion-fever-headaches.html

Sounds like a barrel of monkeys. 

"Luke Hutchison woke up in the middle of the night with chills and a fever after taking the Covid-19 booster shot in Moderna’s vaccine trial. Another coronavirus vaccine trial participant, testing Pfizer’s candidate, similarly woke up with chills, shaking so hard he cracked a tooth after taking the second dose. "

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

It take years to ensure a vaccine is safe and even approved vaccines injure people every year. So therefore this vaccine will be risky. But on top of that, the vaccine being developed is an mRNA vaccine which will essential modify your DNA. That has not been done before. The trial evidence is insufficient, and therefore it is risky. Especially if have not yet had children.

The only people that should consider a vaccine are those at high risk.

Yes. But I would always be considered a high risk in Thailand as long as they don't get the virus under control in Germany, and for that I agree to vaccinations. 

The first time I came to Asia I needed vaccinations against smallpox and cholera, and the risk of getting those in "Third world countries" is apparently higher than the vaccination. 

What do I care about genetic modifications? I'm not about to father a child even if a Thai lady wants me to. My favourite Thai lady already has children, and she doesn't want any more kids. 

10 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/01/coronavirus-vaccine-trial-participants-exhaustion-fever-headaches.html

Sounds like a barrel of monkeys. 

"Luke Hutchison woke up in the middle of the night with chills and a fever after taking the Covid-19 booster shot in Moderna’s vaccine trial. Another coronavirus vaccine trial participant, testing Pfizer’s candidate, similarly woke up with chills, shaking so hard he cracked a tooth after taking the second dose. "

These are serious side-effects, but doctors are supposed to supply you with appropriate warnings (the principle of informed consent) If you lose a tooth you can sue the doctor or the hospital, and you have a good chance they pay you a new one. 

10 minutes ago, sungod said:

I love it when people on TV become experts overnight, now we have a bank of virologists. 

I'd trust the guys developing the Oxford vaccine if they said it was OK.

Two points:

1. Questioning the source of a quoted percentage requires zero expertise in the subject to which the percentage refers.

2. You might want to trust the developers of a vaccine, I prefer to have faith in the regulation of pharmaceutical companies - The Thalidomide tragedy might prompt you to understand why the developers don’t get to independently determine that what they have developed is safe.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Two points:

1. Questioning the source of a quoted percentage requires zero expertise in the subject to which the percentage refers.

2. You might want to trust the developers of a vaccine, I prefer to have faith in the regulation of pharmaceutical companies - The Thalidomide tragedy might prompt you to understand why the developers don’t get to independently determine that what they have developed is safe.

Wasn't arguing with you, chill out.

• Like 1