Royal Garden Mall to "suspend service" in June? End of an error?

Jingthing

15 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Hey there. 

Surely someone reading this will be near Royal Garden soon.

The sign that I think I saw was on the 2nd road entrance side. 

Why not check it out and report back?

Maybe ask some Thais working in the mall about it.

I think you need to have that 'poop' you were avoiding on Sunday!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, morrobay said:

Was just there. The sign on 2nd road entrance only applies to Food Wave. Security guard confirmed. I guess this is the same kind of "interpretation" when you announced that Fascino on Pattaya North was closing. Not

Great!

Thank you!

But I wouldn't celebrate quite yet.

Walking around the mall yesterday it was quite empty.

I am going to request that this thread be closed now. 

If there are further developments about the status of this mall a new topic can be opened.

Edited by Jingthing

Just now, Jingthing said:

I was obviously joking around with some wordplay dude so relax.

Yes the old style movie theater and food courts were great.

But they closed them long ago.

Fair enough.

Pity they closed the cinemas, but they were obviously unable to compete against Avenue and later Central. Projectionists were pants- sometimes they cut the ending. I saw Starship Troopers at a midnight show there.

1 minute ago, BobBKK said:

That mall was always an error but still sad for the staff's sake.

It used to be very busy   I'd say getting rid of the cinemas was a bad decision and started the rot.

Central Festival the Beach sealed its fate.

"I WOS 'ere 2005"

2053004508_HarryPotterDSCF0191.thumb.JPG.ee2e11a0fbb227a8d53885a68057de09.JPG

• Like 1

I was in there a few weeks ago and it was deserted, I'm surprised it didn't close down last June already, and Covid-19 is just the final nail in the coffin, it was already on life support before the virus surfaced.

BTW, JT says that it was the original mall in Pattaya, is that right? When I moved here in 2004, we had two "malls", Royal Garden and the one in front of Big C on Second Road in North Pattaya, now rebranded as Central Marina, I think. Does anyone remember which came first, was it Royal Garden or the original Big C mall in North Pattaya? Just curious.

2 minutes ago, Guderian said:

I was in there a few weeks ago and it was deserted, I'm surprised it didn't close down last June already, and Covid-19 is just the final nail in the coffin, it was already on life support before the virus surfaced.

BTW, JT says that it was the original mall in Pattaya, is that right? When I moved here in 2004, we had two "malls", Royal Garden and the one in front of Big C on Second Road in North Pattaya, now rebranded as Central Marina, I think. Does anyone remember which came first, was it Royal Garden or the original Big C mall in North Pattaya? Just curious.

That's going back a long time. I don't know but I'd guess they opened about the same time in the 80s.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

OMG that's a good and obvious catch.

I think it said June 8.

So that would be next year.

Why announce that so far in advance?

The plot thickens.

We're going to need confirmation from someone that doesn't have flashbacks.

Was the June 8 sign right below the Merry Christmas, or Welcome US Navy, sign?

1 minute ago, redwood1 said:

I always thought Mikes shopping mall was the first one.....

Yes but I'd say Mikes was really only a Mall in name  only the ground floor occupied with sellers of knick knacks and touristy stuff  I thin I bought some "dodgy" DVD's there once ????

1 minute ago, johng said:

Yes but I'd say Mikes was really only a Mall in name  only the ground floor occupied with sellers of knick knacks and touristy stuff  I thin I bought some "dodgy" DVD's there once ????

No, it used to be a proper mall, but Royal Garden probably reduced it's appeal. Did good business with the busloads of Asian tourists every night.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, johng said:

Mikes in the past I am sure it saw better days.....

36 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Hey there. 

Surely someone reading this will be near Royal Garden soon.

The sign that I think I saw was on the 2nd road entrance side. 

Why not check it out and report back?

Maybe ask some Thais working in the mall about it.

The wonderful Thai are big on re-purposing misplaced and otherwise inappropriate signage, especially out in the boonies. The leaky thatch on our front-yard bamboo gazebo has been covered by a redundant Pizza Company banner touting a BOGOF special whilst the drop-down shade on my workshop boasts that I sell AIS Fiber. Funnily enough, nobody stops by to see if I do.