Can a Foreigner Drive this legally? (Truck)

Formaleins

Anyone know if it is covered on the normal car licence? I had heard that you can drive up to 5 ton on a standard licence, but not sure what this actually means, 5 Ton unladen or 5 Ton Gross. Looking at these trucks they seem like a 7.5 Tonne Gross type of vehicle, which would be under the 5 Ton if it was classified as unladen.

Thanks

Isuzu Truck.jpg

17 hours ago, Formaleins said:

Really helpful thanks! I don't want to drive an empty truck, I need to move a lot of long pieces of timber and they are too long for a pickup to carry safely. I can borrow one of these for a few weeks and it would get the job done.

You mentioned the 5-ton limit so you could drive it empty to pick up your wood but would need a Thai driver (license optional) to drive it loaded. In my experience, truck rentals come with a driver (and helpers) anyway so unless you are moving wood from Nakhon Nowhere to Ban Nawk, I would just go with the flow.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2020 at 7:47 PM, Formaleins said:

Really helpful thanks! I don't want to drive an empty truck, I need to move a lot of long pieces of timber and they are too long for a pickup to carry safely. I can borrow one of these for a few weeks and it would get the job done.

Moving (old) timber in Northern Thailand without paperwork and a truck you are not supposed to drive can put you in big trouble. 

• Like 2

but surely if you ' borrow '  it from a friend you will pay him for using it    ?

Apart from the vehicle and driving license issue be aware of the existing laws and prohibition regarding the moving of wood.

I bought an old house made entirely of wood; erected 65 years ago. The purpose was to use the wooden planks for a floor in my new house. Knowing that the gentlemen in brown along the road might want to take me and the shipment to the cleaners so I went to apply for a transportation permit from the municipality of origin. Latter confirmed the legality of the wood and permitted the outsourced truck with plate number and driver's information to move the wood from A to B. 
I accompanied the truck and promptly got stopped three times over 106 kilometres for some tipping. You should have seen the boys faces once I produced the letter in original and gave them a copy each time (which I had prepared in advance). 

Just a word to the wise; no issue, the permit was free of charge, half a day waste (as I had to get the wood in type and numbers listed individually). And if I told you something you knew in advance, possibly some other visitors to your entry might be interested to know. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SomchaiCNX said:
21 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Do you ever wonder why U-Haul never took off in Thailand?

You can not even register a legal trailer in Chiang Mai. After 12 years I gave up, went to Lampoon, got the number plates and all the paperwork in less than 10 days.

Different transport offices have make up their own rules, just like amphurs and immigration offices do. I had a legally registered trailer that I sold before relocating to another province. My mistake was assuming buying a new trailer in my new location would be as cheap and easy as the previous one in the old location had been.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2020 at 8:13 PM, Formaleins said:

Thanks, I kind of thought that might be the case. Not worth the risk without the licence, a foreigner is going to stand out like a sore thumb driving one of these.

and you do not have a working permit (i assume)

22 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

The limit is 3500kg registered laden weight. That’s the total of the weight of the vehicle plus maximum allowed cargo.

To the point.

Although I would have answered the question with a plain "No" from experience/hearsay I try to find some proof. A video in Thai clearly confirms the above.

There is a reason why it's called a "Private car" license.

(3.5 t, max 7 passengers)

Also been mentioned already: the license plate is a "commercial" one.

Can only be driven with a respecting "truck" license.

Driving such vehicle is always considered work.

Foreigner will never get a work permit for truck driving ("forbidden" job).

So no sense in issuing truck license to foreigner.

4 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

There is a reason why it's called a "Private car" license.

(3.5 t, max 7 passengers)

Exactly! A few years back when I was helping relocate the family fish farm and had a couple of those big, square, 1000 liter water tanks in the back of my ute, to remain street legal, I had to kick the mother-in-law out.

• Haha 1

On 10/8/2020 at 8:11 PM, douglasspade said:

No. You need a truck license for that. Many Thai's truck drivers do not have licenses anyway, money talks.

I asked if I could get a truck license as I have a heavy duty code international license, but the traffic dept denied it. Seems they are scared that I might work here. 

I guess the reasoning they denied it is, if you were going to move something on that truck from A to B, you are actually working, and that task should be done by a Thai. Just my theory.