Thai Transport Minister orders signals and barriers installed at all railway crossings

webfact

One report said there was signals but no barrier also by the video on the news the time between when the bus drove over the tracks and when the train hit there was no way the driver wouldn't have seen the train if he had of been paying attention 

33 minutes ago, anfh said:

They are building high speed track from BKK down south, they are putting flyovers over every junction, they dont trust Thais to stop at flimsy barriers !!! 

Better to put the entire track (if possible) at high level over the roads and above the grazing livestock.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TherealG said:

Exactly! Too bad 20 people that to die first. Incase they are wondering, your roads and highways are incredibly dangerous, you might want to try enforcing a traffic law once in a while.

Gotta have cops patrolling the roads for that 

18 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Wouldn't it be better to make sure bus drivers have common sense and really know how to drive?

Probably installing barriers, lights and warning systems at level crossings can be done a lot quicker and easier than trying to install common sense and driving knowledge in bus drivers

As Thailand takes its first wobbly baby steps into 21st century road and transportation management like its First World cousins in the US, EU, and elsewhere.

Suggestions for toddler Thailand's next steps forward in Transportation Safety?
How about trained highway patrol officers in highway patrol vehicles pulling over drivers committing moving violations.
Sure - at first it will look like a pod of killer whales feasting of a school of salmon.  But over time, the 'salmon' will get the idea. Then?  Welcome to 21st century road safety and a reduction in the Thai road carnage.
And while he's at it, the Transportation Minister should permanently close the U-Turns of Death that are available every two kilometres or less on dual carriage roads. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Surelynot said:

They have to be full barriers across both lanes on both sides.....this is Thailand after all.

Several automatic half barrier crossings in Pattaya. People just weave round them. Probably because when you do encounter a closed barrier its usually faulty. I once encountered a closed barrier and a queue was forming. Guy from a nearby 7/11 came out and opened the barrier by hand. TiT.

Edited by polpott

59 minutes ago, TERMINATOR3AB said:

To play   this  video  is in  the poorest of taste   

Too many  killed and  hurt in that accident

Shocking  sorry   to  display  that ......    the effect  of the  family  would be devestating

Very  sad

However  can anybody explian  why the  bus driver  seemed to slow  down  before time of impact?

That  crossing is open too  ..How  could  that driver  not see that train  comming  ?????

As for  marking  crossings   ....well  lets  shoot the horse  after it has  died

Great   Video for  tourism too  .... Chinese  love go in tour  Buses  and Boat trips

Good  Luck Thailand 

The Chinese also love video accident gore & aftermath the same as this country.

Maybe that’s why there’s never any safety progress.

18 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Wouldn't it be better to make sure bus drivers have common sense and really know how to drive?

Thais and common sense, not just on the roads, do not go together very well, all the "making sure" or any sort of education just will not work.

All the driving all riding skills in the world mean nothing without the common sense.

17 hours ago, dimitriv said:

That is because Thailand was never occupied by a foreign country ????

India was occupied by a foreign country, and their railway system is massively complicated and the passenger trains are very long and fast. Tens of thousands of crossings are unguarded and hundreds, if not thousands, of people and animals get killed each  and every year. Do you think India will fence in their whole railway system. If idiots wander on the tracks or try to cross without looking, then they are just  another number in the statistics. 

• Like 2

Don't forget to maintain the installations – far too often I see new great new stuff installed or made here in LOS, and after a few years with lack of maintenance they often it stop working, or looks like something totally abandoned – it might be worse, when they stop working, as passing might be considered safe...

From another new story today about this horrible sad accident, just as a reminder to my point of view...

They found that the broken signal was the reason why a freight train transporting containers crashed into a bus with 60 passengers.

Edited by khunPer

I think it is a good idea to show what happens in situations like this  also they should show car crash testing for people who do not wear seat belts . I see many parents at school who do not buckle up and the kids  jumping around,

In the original video I think the driver knew that the train was approaching  because as he was just going over the lines he accelerated hard notice the black smoke from the exhaust pipe and it seams he got suck on the line. 

• Like 2

Dumb knee-jerk response. 

The issue is not the lack of barriers, its the lack of brains of those driving the busses and trucks. 

They can’t use barriers for wet weather or those riding the brakes down steep hills, barriers don’t help improve road safety for those driving on Yaba or over tired drivers, barriers don’t prevent idiots from watching movies while driving a truck etc etc etc..... 

All this announcement does is side-step the real issues - those driving have such a limited driving education they are a danger to everyone around them. 

A bus driver crossing a crossing without checking the crossing is clear is a dangerous idiot who should never be in control of a vehicle carrying people in the first place.

All a barrier would have done in this case is delay the inevitable ‘bus falls down a ravine’ news... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Thais and common sense, not just on the roads, do not go together very well, all the "making sure" or any sort of education just will not work.

All the driving all riding skills in the world mean nothing without the common sense.

For us knowing there is no common sense when they ride or drive prepares us to be safe to a point knowing the shouldn't happen will happen.

20 hours ago, bodga said:

What a guy!!

Dear Minister, please share the dates in your plan for:

- Appointment of the first committee and submittal date for the committee findings.

- The extension date for the above committee to submit.

- Date for completion of review of the committee submissions.

- Date for.........

Why not forget the above, it will never see completion. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Let the accident happen first, then address the safety issue. Sound familiar? 

I was behind a coach on the Silverlake road crossing that was hit by a train this was about 18 years ago I think there were 5/6 people killed including some Japanese tourist, the plan then was to have barriers at all crossings, well that plan didn’t work to well did it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Do you know how much it would cost to put in proper rail guards nationally?

much cheaper to lose faceless people every so often...the public forgets 

is this not the practice for all forms of transport in thailand?

safety practice is a mindset...convince me that exists in thailand?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Excuse me?

What is that?

What do you mean exactly by ''not formally registered'' sir ?

The road exists, the railway too,  it's used and it's a public place since years, this location is 

supposed to be under the responsability of someone in the area or in the matter, paid for doing the job, why the job isn't done?

Already in 2016 

and now the same thing happens again

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12900650/horrific-train-crash-bus-thailand-cctv/

You can not just try to escape the problem like this

please at least show some more respect to the families victims 

they deserve better than this shameless lie

The issue according to an article I read some time ago Is that locals often construct their own railway crossings, therefore they are not official and are un registered.

The bigger issue as mentioned by an earlier poster is how anyone could cross a railway line, unregistered or not without looking to see if it is safe to proceed.

However I see on a daily basis people on motorbikes and bicycles entering a major road from a minor road without looking, so I suppose why should we be surprised.

23 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand’s Transport Minister, Saksayam Chidchob, has ordered the State Railway of Thailand and the Department of Rail Transport to install signal systems and barriers at all railway crossings throughout the country, to prevent a repeat of the train-bus collision in Chachoengsao province on Saturday, which resulted in multiple fatalities and over 30 injured.

???????????????????? It took 20 people life to realized you needed a signal system and barriers at railway crossing! A person without a GED could have or has been telling you this all along. Just maybe if you play attention to all the under educated driver on the road, you would have your highway and city police doing their jobs to prevent them from killing others. 

Ticketing and taking unregistered vehicle off the street and then auctioning them off is a retirement program for all polices. Just a suggestion. ????????????????

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Almer said:

So the minister has ORDERED these things be done, lets see what happens now.

haha indeed. i have a friend who works directly for the minister of transport, a few years ago we were discussing the dangerous van drivers as it was in the news due to a spate of accidents. i told my friend the minister should do something, she said he had, he had told the van drivers to be more careful(!), and that's was the job done.

• Sad 1

People are questioning an unknown or unregistered crossing, have you not  seen the unknown and unlicensed crossings between dual carriageways made by locals for locals. 

So why a poster asked dont they gate and fence the entire network, they could and it would give a much needed boost to the economy, but, with this level of security comes a price, a one hour train journey in the UK is about 3000 baht in Los about 150 baht, don't shout back about comparisons a secure rail network comes at a cost and the thai's wont stand that.