Thai Transport Minister orders signals and barriers installed at all railway crossings

webfact

23 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

They are going to be in for a rude awakening when they find several thousand of unidentified crossings are in place as new roads have been put in place not only by local communities to assist in getting to there fields on the other side of the tracks but also put in for tourism purposes to get to Temples, or other tourism locations using a shorter route.  With Drones and GPS they might be able to find the lost ones.  It looks like SRT will be driving lots of miles down the backroads to find where those roads crossing the tracks go...

It can't be that difficult - there aren't many railway lines in Thailand to check!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I'm amazed that there was an accident, these trains travel so slow.

I witnessed a train stopping because the traffic was at a standstill across the level crossing at Soi Khao Talo.

Trains stopping for traffic queued across level crossings, this happens regularly.

You are obviously not familiar with the eastern line. It is effectively dedicated to freight between Bangkok and Rayong with about 2/3 trains an hour. They are very long and heavy and travel about 40 mph, stopping at crossings is not an easy option.

1 hour ago, Almer said:

People are questioning an unknown or unregistered crossing, have you not  seen the unknown and unlicensed crossings between dual carriageways made by locals for locals. 

So why a poster asked dont they gate and fence the entire network, they could and it would give a much needed boost to the economy, but, with this level of security comes a price, a one hour train journey in the UK is about 3000 baht in Los about 150 baht, don't shout back about comparisons a secure rail network comes at a cost and the thai's wont stand that.

Quite, too many expect western standards at Thai prices.

The crossing on the road that runs between the 344 and the 315 has a barrier, but it is out of order more than in, bent out of shape probably damaged by goods vehicles.

It always needs to happen something big before these Thai idiots of ministers actually do something. It seems they only react instead of planning into the future. As long as they are not paying the price for their negligence nothing will improve.

Unless the Barriers are 2 Lanes wide to cove both Carriageways, it will be a waste of time and Money.

Every Day I see Thais Zig-Zag closed Barriers on Motorcycles, and if the gap is large enough, even in Cars.

Everything comes down to respect of Law, and well... There is very little in Thailand.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

You are obviously not familiar with the eastern line. It is effectively dedicated to freight between Bangkok and Rayong with about 2/3 trains an hour. They are very long and heavy and travel about 40 mph, stopping at crossings is not an easy option.

Yep, agree with everything you said. 

These drivers queueing across intersections know that these trains travel so slow. 

Having to stop a fully loaded goods train because some idiot is blocking the train line. 

On 10/12/2020 at 10:11 AM, ThailandRyan said:

They are going to be in for a rude awakening when they find several thousand of unidentified crossings are in place as new roads have been put in place not only by local communities to assist in getting to there fields on the other side of the tracks but also put in for tourism purposes to get to Temples, or other tourism locations using a shorter route.  With Drones and GPS they might be able to find the lost ones.  It looks like SRT will be driving lots of miles down the backroads to find where those roads crossing the tracks go...

How could they find all the crossings? Drones and GPS? Here's a really crazy idea ... they could use a train!

On 10/12/2020 at 4:11 PM, holy cow cm said:

Wouldn't it be better to make sure bus drivers have common sense and really know how to drive?

when they go for their bus licence they have to be shown picture cards of a cow, a dog,  and a train ....

and they have to point to the train.    lol

Edited by steven100
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Cranky said:

Stable door. Horse. Bolted. Ring any bells?

There are no doors or horses. The Thai rail network infrastructure has changed little in decades and the number of major accidents in the last 20 years can be counted on one hand.

When something does happen, politicians, like every other country have to say something, as does the anti government contingent on this forum.

On the train line between Banphai and Khon Kaen quite a few underpasses are flooded or deep in sand.

The fence is open in many places - YES I understand there are many traditional dirt roads for livestock, also probably used for pickups.
Buffalo and cows / cattle graze between the fence and line, on one journey the train had to stop to let the farmer move his livestock, ( bit like Indian railways back in the early 70's ).  
I enjoy my 8 baht 3rd class with fan and open windows journey from Banpahi to Khon Kaen and back, far quicker and cheaper than the bus / minibus, the air fresher too.   Don't need a faster journey and giant train stations like KK.
A nice trip to Korat from Banphai for 30 baht, same applies faster, cheaper etc. and get to meet people.
Snake passes on half side gates .... !   I thought the govt had promised ( SAFE !!! ??? ) access at every ancient / current access track / road, obviously still not in place.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

when they go for their bus licence they have to be shown picture cards of a cow, a dog,  and a train ....

and they have to point to the train.    lol

Yeah but when they see the picture of the chicken they know if they hit it they must pay 500 baht to the owner.

• Like 2

Its about time they fitted barriers and flashing lights but how long will it take to install? Then road users need to be educated into the use lights and barriers and therein lies the problem.

• Like 1

Yes, the barriers must go all the way across the road, as it is now with only half way, it will continue to cost human lives.

There are several places where the plants near the crossing are so high that it is impossible to see if a train is coming. Crossing those places is a bit like playing Russian roulette.

11 minutes ago, Misab said:

Yes, the barriers must go all the way across the road, as it is now with only half way, it will continue to cost human lives.

There are several places where the plants near the crossing are so high that it is impossible to see if a train is coming. Crossing those places is a bit like playing Russian roulette.

There is a reason that they don't block the whole road. People who get trapped between the barriers need to be able to escape. 

On 10/14/2020 at 3:11 AM, bbbbooboo said:

Hmmm.... what a clever idea, barriers to stop  cars at train crossings ? However the ever cunning Thais will probably drive around it/ jump over it etc...TIT

Scotland has had 3 rail accidents in the last 8 weeks, who is to blame there?

Two people have been taken to hospital after a car crashed through wire fencing and landed on the tracks at Stirling railway station. 

Emergency services and Network Rail took part in the recovery operation at the scene of the incident, which occurred at about 12.15pm.

In a separate accident, just minutes later, a car came down an embankment and almost landed on rail lines in the Highlands

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/stirling-rail-station-car-on-tracks-highlands-british-transport-police-network-rail-b1039674.html

Three people, including the driver and a conductor, have died after a passenger train derailed in Aberdeenshire.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-53751678

9 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Ah St Bees, location of my first ever holiday. Have an identical crossing a couple of hundred yards from my home in the UK. Still get kids vaulting the barrier and running across the track.

image.jpeg.ebde78448232f4139dc99ea5617c0b1c.jpeg

Nuclear flasks are transported along that track too.

Edited by polpott
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, polpott said:

Ah St Bees, location of my first ever holiday. Have an identical crossing a couple of hundred yards from my home in the UK. Still get kids vaulting the barrier and running across the track.

Kids will be kids, fearless. When I was a kid there was a trainline alongside our garden, before Beeching did away with it, we used to jump the fence and put nails on the track to make arrowheads. Back in those days the crossings were manned with someone to open and close the gate, but then replaced with the automatics as shown.

Just now, sandyf said:

Kids will be kids, fearless. When I was a kid there was a trainline alongside our garden, before Beeching did away with it, we used to jump the fence and put nails on the track to make arrowheads. Back in those days the crossings were manned with someone to open and close the gate, but then replaced with the automatics as shown.

Yep. The crossing I showed was manned until 5 years ago. The problem is that its next to the station. The barrier now comes down 5 minutes before the train arrives and doesn't go up until the train has left the station, hence if you are on the wrong side of the road you miss your train, even if you are 5 minutes early. Kids who would be late for school otherwise regularly jump the barrier. I have to admit to ducking under the descending barrier and legging it a couple of times myself.

• Like 1