EU summit to say Brexit progress "still not sufficient"

snoop1130

9 hours ago, Bruntoid said:

“I’ll clue ya” ???? 

Then no clearer evidence you never had the slightest idea what you were voting for and yet claim you know what’s best for the U.K. without any economic comprehension whatsoever! 

So funny 

Disagree. But I think you are funny though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, RayC said:

And so we come full circle re the WA/ IMB fiasco. If you are correct, then Johnson never had any intention of keeping to the WA, and the UK is guilty of the very charge that Johnson tries to lay at the feet of the EU i.e. the UK have conducted the trade negotiations in 'bad faith'.

Maybe. In any event the EU were due for a return dose.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, luckyluke said:

"EU leaders have offered Boris Johnson a two-week extension to Brexit negotiations, with Michel Barnier saying that “we shall remain available until the last possible day” to strike a deal.

It leaves Mr Johnson to decide whether to walk away, which would trigger a no-deal Brexit."

xxxxxx  xxxxxxxx  xxxxx

I am surprised about the firmness/attitude of the E.U.. Especially the use of the words " we shall remain available". 

Seems like : It's up to you U.K.; we E.U. are ready for whatever. 

I suppose now the only thing Mr. Johnson can do, is leave without a deal. 

To his credit we can say that he tried, tried again, and again. 

The simple words "we shall remain available" gives another dimension/interpretation to the U.K.'s "non-deal Brexit".

It is no more a power/strength expression, but rather  a constrain/irremediability now.

Firmness? We shall remain available. Right.

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

Firmness? We shall remain available. Right.

Yes, to discuss, not giving in.

And up to the U.K. to continue negotiations, but then it will have to knock at E.U.'s door. 

This is pushing Mr. Johnson to capitulate, or proclaim a no-deal Brexit. 

Edited by luckyluke
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I've said I would walk away from a house/vehicle purchase on many occasions. 90% of the time I ended up getting it at a lower asking price. I guess I bottled it as well ????.

I guess you come from the Theresa May school of negotiating where you tell the other side that you'll never walk away and will accept whatever they offer, at any cost, according to their timescale ????.

It's called Brinkmanship Bruntoid, Brinkmanship.

Indeed it is and the EU is saying there's our offer take it or leave it.

Now Johnson has already ignored his own deadline for negotiations and had to beg ask for an extension but the EU is getting tired of this.

So Johnsons options are capitulate or walk away.

Which one do you think he will go for?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I've said I would walk away from a house/vehicle purchase on many occasions. 90% of the time I ended up getting it at a lower asking price. I guess I bottled it as well ????.

I guess you come from the Theresa May school of negotiating where you tell the other side that you'll never walk away and will accept whatever they offer, at any cost, according to their timescale ????.

It's called Brinkmanship Bruntoid, Brinkmanship.

Well up to now that brinkmanship had a poor result isnt'it ?....????

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

If Barnier ends up with No Deal that's a massive failure on his part

An interpretation.

Another one : 

Mr. Barnier, commissioned by the E.U. in its all, has presented to Mr. Johnson 2 possibilities :

-knock at the E.U. door if you want to negotiate further,

-proclaim a no-deal Brexit. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Well, if I had to bet I'd say that there will be a last minute bare bones deal. Certainly not a comprehensive FTA but something to ease issues in the first few months after the WA ends.

I don't think Johnson can capitulate, politically he'd never recover. I don't think the EU will offer a mutually beneficial deal either because well, they're the EU and their very existence depends on narrow minded protectionism.

I'd say he's much more likely to walk away than capitulate. I'm guessing you think he'll capitulate but IMO that's wishful thinking on your part.

Might surprise you to hear that I think you are right.

Where we might disagree is the extent to which Johnson will compromise. 

What is interesting is the language being used by government ministers over fishing. They no longer talk in terms of access for the EU but quantity of fish allowed to be caught by EU fishermen.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

It's hardly an opinion to state that the EU single market is protectionist.

Does the first sentence remind you of any particular Bloc starting with a E and ending with a U?

image.png.6e4f89291d7593efe153ab8198f92bf9.png

How different we are. 

Protectionism : and I am thinking the U.K..

An Union, to increase economic cooperation between many countries, and I am thinking : the E.U..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Bruntoid said:

Even now, after millions of words of unsubstantiated sound bites,  you still have no idea of the difference in scale of the EU and U.K. GDP. 

With all the information at their fingertips it’s baffling how the Brexiteers can be so clueless !!

None so blind, Bruntoid, none so blind.

16 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

It's more baffling how some people think we should capitulate to the EU. Perhaps those people need to grow some ????

Who is saying that we should capitulate?

What all but the most rabid, don't care about the consequences Brexiteers care about is getting a workable trade deal with our largest trading partner.

6 hours ago, nauseus said:
19 hours ago, 7by7 said:

So you know what the crowds were thinking and their reason for celebrating?

Did you?

Hopeless.

My questions were a direct response to 

19 hours ago, 7by7 said:
20 hours ago, nauseus said:

That was Brexit. Hurrah. But not the WA.

So you know what the crowds were thinking and their reason for celebrating?

20 hours ago, nauseus said:

If you want to know what 'crowds' think then why not talk to them directly?

Did you?

Hopeless for you because yet again you have dug a self contradictory hole for yourself!

• Like 2

On 10/15/2020 at 10:24 AM, Baerboxer said:

Read the article. Read previous articles from early this year in which the new EU commission president was suggesting delaying deadlines due to Covid.

was suggesting.... didn't provide a date as BJ did

• Like 1