Wake up stiff every morning?

Surelynot

Just now, rumak said:

Young man Rick.   Don't get all worked up by my next suggestion:

One thing you might be surprised by............ in 30 years time there could be some real surprises in store for you.    Many of us older generation were once members of the younger generation. ????

Yep,  we were playing air guitar and shouting along with the Who  " hope i die before i get old " 

It wasn't meant as a slight.

Just look at athletes, even in the 80s footballers (or soccer players depending on where you come from) used to go out and drink ten pints at the weekend. Most of them admit if they had understood what we do now about nutrition and recovery, they could have prolonged there career (but probably have a lot less fun!)

But anyway, in the context of this post, rest and nutrition is worth looking at. 

• Like 1

Just now, RickG16 said:

But anyway, in the context of this post, rest and nutrition is worth looking at. 

Wish you the best in making good decisions on your journey.   I am almost certain that even you will

look  back and wish you had done some things differently.

You know,  us old and tired guys did not just get this way by accident.  We had to work for many

many years to get his way.    ???? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ravip said:

Anyone tried vitamin B for this type of issue?

Without a bloodtest to prove deficiency and or disease?

vitamin d and other essential minerals is also important, but you take bloodtest before you start taking anything. Just common sense

Edited by Tagged
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Sheryl said:

In addition to my other recommendations previously, I agree with those who recommend massage. Once a week is very, very helpful but will take some trial and error to find a really good masseuse. If they do it right you will feel noticeably more limber afterwards and should last several days at least.

In deference to Sheryl  I will refrain from any crude childlike attempts at comedy.....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Cannabis (for medicinal purposes only) may give some relief.

Pretty much impossible to get here.  I check a CM clinic to look into a prescription of insomnia and was told that it could be given out only for a very few number of ailment.  Insomnia was not one of them.  General pain and stiffness wouldn't fly either.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Was thinking of dumping the running and upping the swimming......I might give that ago for a few weeks......hate to give up the squash and badminton though.

Might be worth doing some joint mobility exercise, if you don't already. (For a long time I thought this was a newfangled word for 'stretching' but it turns out it's a bit different.)

19 minutes ago, connda said:

Pretty much impossible to get here.  I check a CM clinic to look into a prescription of insomnia and was told that it could be given out only for a very few number of ailment.  Insomnia was not one of them.  General pain and stiffness wouldn't fly either.

You wouldn't believe how many Thais around me are growing it.

I'm sure if you look around you while you are out walking or cycling in the countryside you''l see a 'source'.

• Haha 1

I haven't read all the posts so I may be repeating things but I think for me the keys are:

• have at least 2 days and maybe 3 days a week when you don't do heavy exercise - you can still walk and do yoga. Mixing the exercise day to day , which it sounds like you are doing, is good too. Watch your technique when exercising e.g. swimming - not too much strain in the neck;
  • each night before bed, maybe when watching TV, do a ten or fifteen minute yoga and stretching  thing. I do it and I no longer get cramps and feel OK in the morning ;
  • of the exercise you do squash is probably the most risky for joints followed by running, but if you don't feel pain when doing it, it should be fine;
  • limit alcohol to one or two a day as often as is possible and have one or two no alcohol days a week;
  • you are lucky to be in Thailand for cheap massage; and 
  • turmeric, walnuts, salmon, not sure they make a difference but they seem to be good.

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tagged said:

Without a bloodtest to prove deficiency and or disease?

vitamin d and other essential minerals is also important, but you take bloodtest before you start taking anything. Just common sense

Absolutely. 

This is the rarest commodity around here - common sense

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, kwonitoy said:

Do you do this exercise routine 7 days a week?

You've got to give your body recovery time, 2 days on 1 day off or some such routine

Even top athletes have days when they don't train

Yep...everyday, 7 days a week......aren't we all 18? I am when I go out on a night as well.....you might have hit on something there 

on the bed issue, i see some here recommend a hard mattress,

but that doesnt fly for me, you could check out various hotels,

test lay down on the beds and if it feels promising stay a night,

to give an indication what sort of mattress is best fit for you

• Haha 1

just had a thought about the need for "stretching" especially in the morning before you leave the bed .

This is when I do my stretching especially a bit longer  if I am golfing , walking or going out on the bike.

Its my version of the "Charles Atlas, dynamic tension"  type of stretching, maybe most on here have never heard of it but it works for me!

Simplified explanation  its a way of tightening or putting your muscles under tension and load, the way you would if doing weighs etc.  a group at a time,  similar to tightening your grip when using a rubber exercise ball if you have arthritis in your hands.

in the original  Charles Atlas course you do the same sort of exercise in all the  muscle groups  in your body. 

This method of muscle  training was especially good for people bedridden or incapacitated  etc. 

Look it up on the internet for info, it should still be around even though its over 50 years old  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Atlas

Edited by n210mp
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Surelynot said:

I train everyday...... run 2 miles, 300 rep's on weights, swim for 40 mins, play squash and badminton once a week

Cut back the insanity....your body needs a break...not same exercise every day...let your muscles recover 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Surelynot said:

hate to give up the squash and badminton though.

eat the squash but change the bad mitten for a good mitten...

I know it satisfies your brain w/endorphins but at 65, you might want to take it easier... relax and enjoy life in a different way... maybe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1