Why does the UK suffer such huge death rates from Covid?

AndrewMciver

The UK have fudged the books a tad by eliminating anyone passing away from Covid after 28 days. Yet the question remains, why are they still suffering from such catastrophic numbers? 

Even in the first wave, they suffered badly. Now onto the second wave, compared to many countries with equal covid numbers, they are still seeing masses dying. 

What on earth is going on here? 

How on earth have these Asian countries like Singapore, or Arab countries like UAE managed to have such small numbers of deaths despite huge covid infections per 100,000 people? 

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, scammed said:

same as all other countries, not any significant change to any other years, kinda like climate change, the only difference is in newspapers headlines and government policy

Do you have sources for your statement?  

What I read is very different:

Over the past few weeks, mortality in the Netherlands has been higher than the average figures recorded in previous years. There were 3,575 deaths in week 12 (ending 22 March). This is 443 more than the average weekly figure in the first ten weeks of this year. For week 13 (ending 29 March), the number of deaths is estimated at around 4,300. The estimate has been based on the number of death certificates received by Statistics Netherlands (CBS) for week 13. These figures have been reported by CBS and the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM) on the basis of national provisional counts of the number of deaths per week.

https://www.cbs.nl/en-gb/news/2020/14/mortality-rising

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

Do you have sources for your statement?  

What I read is very different:

Over the past few weeks, mortality in the Netherlands has been higher than the average figures recorded in previous years. There were 3,575 deaths in week 12 (ending 22 March). This is 443 more than the average weekly figure in the first ten weeks of this year. For week 13 (ending 29 March), the number of deaths is estimated at around 4,300. The estimate has been based on the number of death certificates received by Statistics Netherlands (CBS) for week 13. These figures have been reported by CBS and the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM) on the basis of national provisional counts of the number of deaths per week.

https://www.cbs.nl/en-gb/news/2020/14/mortality-rising

since most statistics dont include fractional numbers,

i will wait until beginning of next year to show

death by year comparisons, but so far,

i see no statistically significant deviation from the norm

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, scammed said:

since most statistics dont include fractional numbers,

i will wait until beginning of next year to show

death by year comparisons, but so far,

i see no statistically significant deviation from the norm

So you make a statement now, but you will wait till the beginning of the next year to prove it?

I think the article I quoted clearly says that the number of monthly deaths is higher this year than in previous years. At least in NL.

In Italy it is the same. Here a nice graph comparing the monthly deaths last year with this year: https://www.statista.com/statistics/1109552/monthly-number-of-deaths-in-italy/

1903962322_Image2020-10-27at9_07_29PM.png.79f794db0ea88986c4e3ff20a6884c6a.png

Do you see the number of deaths going up starting March?  That was the time of the first Covid outbreak in Italy. Or don't you see a "statistically significant deviation" ?  

Below is the age demographics for Thailand and the UK (2018), as you can clearly see, the UK has 8% more population in the +65 bracket, 8% is the equivalent of 5.5 million more elderly people. Fair to say that with 5.5 million more elderly - 2million of which are over 85 - It's not surprising therefore that we rate higher than a country that has less old people - the CDC says you are 630 more times likely to die than others 18-29 group. Think that pretty much sums things up. And add in UK obesity................Basically you take care of the old and FAT - you end up worst when an unknown sickness comes along 

Thailand

0-14 years: 16.73% (male 5,880,026 /female 5,598,611)
15-24 years: 13.83% (male 4,840,303 /female 4,649,589)
25-54 years: 46.12% (male 15,670,881 /female 15,972,254)
55-64 years: 12.35% (male 3,970,979 /female 4,503,647)
65 years and over: 10.97% (male 3,289,576 /female 4,239,992) (2018 est.)

UK
0-14 years: 17.59% (male 5,871,268 /female 5,582,107)
15-24 years: 11.71% (male 3,895,850 /female 3,726,311)
25-54 years: 40.29% (male 13,387,119 /female 12,843,549)
55-64 years: 12.22% (male 3,936,466 /female 4,022,245)
65 years and over: 18.19% (male 5,321,392 /female 6,518,939) (2018 est.)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Susco said:

I have wanted to ask this question since long, why if there are such huge numbers of COVID deaths, are the average numbers not higher?

Am I reading these charts wrong? Are these number not real?

I now take UK as example, but all countries show similar results.

https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/GBR/united-kingdom/death-rate

image.png.c7726f02300ad167e17c0bcd14cd4496.png

image.png.f957ec1dea5e8ec8d49cb91955d06480.png

Interesting site, I'll bookmark that. UK mortality looks to be about average, I had heard this, tbh I could have looked at the ONS and done my own research, lazy lol.

28 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

UK mortality looks to be about average

When?

Excess-mortality-during-COVID-19-The-number-of-deaths-from-all-causes-compared-to-previous-years-all-ages.png.3d65c0725d07d1a901c130eeaf8844b9.png

Feel free to play with the graphs/tables/countries:

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/excess-mortality-p-scores?tab=chart&stackMode=absolute&time=2020-02-09..latest&country=ESP~England %26 Wales~USA~ITA&region=World

For those that prefer reading, another source:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/articles/comparisonsofallcausemortalitybetweeneuropeancountriesandregions/januarytojune2020

Edited by Salerno
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

That chart is for this year, not all years to compare.

Shown is how the number of weekly deaths in 2020 differs (as a percentage) from the average number of deaths in the same week over the previous five years (2015–2019)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Only if you are trying to push a certain agenda:

NOTE: All 2020 and later data are UN projections and DO NOT include any impacts of the COVID-19 virus.

Edited by Salerno
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Protests do not negate reality.

As per the graph Italy peaked at +90% during the first wave and was actually below average prior to Covid hitting and from May to June (they don't have the figures since June). 

The protests are the current reality, in Europe and Thailand.

Thanks for sharing the graphs.

Edited by tribalfusion001
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Climate.

England is cold and wet all the time and there are were heaps of elderly people living in sealed heated boxes.

COVID likes the Brit climate and lifestyle.

I was sitting in the pub today (Tuesday) and it was pouring with rain and breezy outside, there were people walking past with soggy wet masks on their faces, that won't help with covid.

Italy is going full on revolt at present, got a live stream of a protest on, better than watching TV and boring covid19 stories 555.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1