Confirmed: "Big Bike" riders will need special training from next year

webfact

All safety training is a good thing but I’m still surprised that 400cc Is considered a (big bike) that’s a toy were I come from that beeing said a moped goes fast enough to kill ya if you or the other guy is stupid ride safe and defensive 

• Like 1

On 10/28/2020 at 8:40 AM, webfact said:

The Thai Rath story suggested that riders would need to provide evidence of having been through the required training before a licence could be issued. They would also have to answer additional questions on a test.

Exactly what this would mean has yet to be revealed. 

So no point in posting in this thread until it's revealed.

18 hours ago, Enfield said:

... Only way to test riding skills is to follow a rider for 50 kms or more under a variety  of road conditions . Not going to happen is it ?

Exactly! You can't test riding technique at a DLT office. 

My bike test in UK, in 1972, involved riding a circuit on public roads with the examiner observing, although I never actually saw him on the circuit - maybe he rode the circuit on his own bike, I don't remember how it worked. However, he picked up on what he saw as faults, even if not 'failing' faults, and mentioned them at the end of the test.

I know this topic doesn't really involved 'advanced' riding but I'll go there anyway.

My advanced IAM and RoSPA tests involved about 90 minutes on public roads, both rural and urban. Just me pursued by the examiner who was a police Class 1 bike rider in both cases. They emphasised 'making progress' so that, if you rode safely but too slowly for conditions, it was a mark against you. While a very friendly experience (they were both like going for a ride with a mate), if the examiner thought you didn't meet the criteria, you failed the test. No chance of a bribe to pass.

But passing an advanced test was a matter of personal pride, something I don't think exists among Thais as far as roadcraft is concerned.

Nothing like that will happen in Thailand largely because any 'proper' examiners are likely to be very thin on the ground.

Edited by MartinL
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Glad you missed the point.  6 gears and acceleration is still enough to walk away from a general scooter, and the way these young teens ride these bikes they accelerate as fast as they can off of the line trying to race the bigger bikes. A 125, or 150 cc scooter does not have the top speed the MT-15 has either.  But I digress.  The point is that it is enough torque to toss someone off of the bike who is an in-experienced rider.

Ridden many big bikes in my lifetime.  No need to ride fast if you know how to ride.  I rode Police Enforcement bikes for a living for many years.  Harley, Kawasaki, and BMW.  No  need to ride a large bike anymore.  Sold my Harley Road Deleted before I moved here.  If you can not ride properly and safely then one does not need to ride a MC, but that does not stop the Thai's, most of who are unlicensed.

I’m sorry, but it’s you who missed my point! You literally said that the 155cc bike accelerates AS FAST as a bigger bike and it simply doesn’t! 

Edited by pacovl46
  • Like 1

On 10/28/2020 at 8:53 AM, RotBenz8888 said:

Begin with an IQ test, that would filter out quite a few. 

One could be forgiven for suggesting that anyone who rides a motorbike by choice in Thailand should undergo an IQ test.

I rode a motorbike in Australia for years but not here, it’s hard enough on four wheels but wouldn’t risk it on two.

A couple of years ago my Thai wife and I visited her uncle who was in a Government hospital in Chiang Mai after having a motor bike accident.

Every patient in the ward and there were plenty, were motorbike  accidents.

10 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

They should include common sense for riding bicycles as well. Had 2 yesterday come barreling around corners going out into the traffic lane.  Hard to teach inbred idiocy to have common sense.

how many stop/check, when entering a major road....to see if it is clear to do so........hardly any.

they just continue to enter the road.....

• Like 1

On 10/28/2020 at 9:07 AM, soi3eddie said:

Why not start with training any motorbike rider and enforcing existing laws? I saw three teenagers riding on Phaholyothin Road at Ari on Sunday. The insanely loud exhaust drew my attention. Three persons on one bike (150cc at most), speeding fast through heavy traffic and not one of them was wearing a helmet. I was expecting to hear a crash.

< 400cc are immune to crashes as all people in  Thailand have vast experience on small bikes starting at school age, so skilled that no helmets are needed and the load bearing limits of the bike are totally wrong with a lot of space for the 4 friends and even the dog...  hey, and if one of them has a mask on, well... ... 

• Haha 1

On 10/28/2020 at 9:05 AM, NCC1701A said:

i am sitting in my love nest right now on Sukhumvit right next to Asok BTS.

When the light changes bikes like Kawasaki 1000 cc take off as fast as possible.

I mean they are really haulin' ***.

not a cop in sight. 

and that is why this BS will never change.

I have a Yamaha Aerox 155, not so big but I'll confess to "jack rabbit" starts. Observing the needed double look for those running through the red light, my object is to get out a bit ahead of the grouping to pick my position which I hold without weaving so as to try and stay alive. Thus far, it has worked for me. Oh, I have come off the bike 3 times until I got it through my thick skull that I cannot carry something in my left hand and use the right hand brake while rounding a corner with some road sand underneath.

On 10/28/2020 at 9:07 AM, soi3eddie said:

Why not start with training any motorbike rider and enforcing existing laws? I saw three teenagers riding on Phaholyothin Road at Ari on Sunday. The insanely loud exhaust drew my attention. Three persons on one bike (150cc at most), speeding fast through heavy traffic and not one of them was wearing a helmet. I was expecting to hear a crash.

Only 3? I see 5 here in Hua Hin on a regular basis. Mom, Dad and 3 kids. There really is no point in changing or adding more regulations when the current ones are ignored. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, paulbrow said:

Seems to me training for "small" bikes and scooters as well as subjecting all motorcycles to the rules of the road and enforcing them would be far more beneficial.

Indeed - It is the ‘scooter’ riders around me which present the greatest risk to me when riding my motorcycle. When in my car I have to brake to avoid one who’s cut me up or coming directly towards me into on coming traffic gambling that I’ll stop so they can pass stationary traffic quickly before cutting back in.

Its the way things are and I accept it in a car because those pulling dangerous manoeuvres don’t impact my safety and I have a dash cam. 

It's a different issue on my bike.

When a motorcyclists sits in my blind spot blocking my ‘escape route’ should I need to swerve around a pothole or dodgy drain cover etc its annoying and I have to ride incredibly defensively which concentrates a lot of my attention to what’s going on behind me at my ‘rear quarters’ - this is an irritation but its something I just have to manage.

But its when a motorcyclist zips up the inside through an impossible gap, brushing my arm as he does so just as I’m about to turn left (indicating) or outrageously chancy and dangerous actions such as this which make me angry. 

Effective training could get rid of a lot of the issues, but nothing changes without effective policing and that we simply do not have in Thailand. Its a wonder anyone follows any rules at all. 

Just yesterday on Thonglor Soi 10, a BMW X1 driver decided they didn’t want to wait for the lights at the Ekammai cross roads. I was following another bike as the BMW came around the outside of all the traffic making a 3rd lane for themselves into oncoming traffic - the motorcyclists ahead of me narrowly avoided a head on. 

On 10/28/2020 at 9:18 AM, essox essox said:

and what about ALL THE THAI DRIVERS DRIVING big trucks/pickups ??

Like the bus... drives like hes on the way back from the pub, no thought to the 60 people on board, drugs, sleepy, cant drive ..... oh, damn brakes again... BOOM ...

• Like 2

On 10/28/2020 at 10:15 AM, Dmaxdan said:

But how would you be able prove that you have been riding a big bike for years?  Okay, some foreigners may have proof in the form of an appropriate license issued in their home country but with regards to Thais, the

only evidence they would have is their existing motorbike license. 

Lots of scars from falling off?

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, solent01 said:

Just use an International Licence, I'm from England, we have had CBT and restrictions in place for years, I've been riding and driving in Thailand for 16 years with an International, never had a problem (and riden high power bikes since I was tall enough to touch the ground when stationary) it's really just a translation of your native licence.  I don't ever intend getting a Thai licence.......

Wrong...  time restriction applies and dont give them ideas!!!

What about special tests and additional qeustions for all drivers in thailand . Cars , trucks , motorbikes , bicycles whatever transportation type ?? The whole system isn't working . It's more easy to get a driverslicense for car or motorbike then it is to get a proper coffee . 

16 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Good lord you guys should listen to yourselves?

Professional riders? Oh so foreigners are in the RTP on motorway patrol?

Nobody posting on here was young and stupid?

Never kick started a 1800cc bike. Who the <deleted> rides a 1800cc bike? Are they used for pulling stumps or for people who have a phallic problem?

What about bikes with less than 400cc that produce more than 35 Kw?

..and no one on here is actually responsible for road safety. Just chill and enjoy the sunshine and palm trees.

Mate steady up on those of us who enjoy riding 1800cc V twins.  Kick starting not necessary when you have an electric leg and 12V battery.  Don't know about pulling stumps, pulling little cuties....  I always thought it was my good looks....but.....  Phallic problem?  I thought that was restricted to the past with all the medical help available today!  ????

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, gunderhill said:

So in effect like many Thais  who don't even have the basic insurance which let's  face it is a sad  joke anyway and offers  virtually zero help to any third party, but I bet he at least wears a helmet unlike the vast majority and has working lights, doesn't ride 3   up drive down the sidewalks etc etc The training he will have received in the UK far outweighs the comedy laws here.

Fair comment. But two wrongs don't make a right and you can bet your bottom dollar that the MIB will come down rather harder on him than on a Thai.

should have tiered system for different level of cc and also mandatory big bike training for at 8 months to 1 year with thorough training on driving methodology eg defensive driving / responsible driving / traffic rules and all this have to be drilled into the learner brain until it become second nature to them. learner must be thoroughly accessed from theory to driving skill to basic but important maintenance of the bike with a high minimum passing rate of at least 95% only then should license be given.   lastly heavy penalty system for breaking the law in tiered level too like in singapore where you be deducted points from your license per year and once that point is completely deducted  - off to court plus ban on driving for a year and license test must be re-taken after penalty period has passed. i believe this will make people more careful about driving. in fact this should be extended to all vehicles and even small bike must go through 6 months mandatory training mentioned above 

6 hours ago, StevieAus said:

One could be forgiven for suggesting that anyone who rides a motorbike by choice in Thailand should undergo an IQ test.

I rode a motorbike in Australia for years but not here, it’s hard enough on four wheels but wouldn’t risk it on two.

A couple of years ago my Thai wife and I visited her uncle who was in a Government hospital in Chiang Mai after having a motor bike accident.

Every patient in the ward and there were plenty, were motorbike  accidents.

I rode for years in the US when we moved here I wanted to get a bike but after 3 years of driving and seeing how Thais drive there is no way I will ride here 

4 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

What about special tests and additional qeustions for all drivers in thailand . Cars , trucks , motorbikes , bicycles whatever transportation type ?? The whole system isn't working . It's more easy to get a driverslicense for car or motorbike then it is to get a proper coffee . 

It was easier for me to get a license then my retirement visa