be very careful about the traffic light in chiangmai

jack1900

I have just got 3 traffic fine tickets in the past 2 months(all happened before I got the first one).

Very same situation like this:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1096864-driving-the-car-in-violation-of-the-yellow-light-signal

I have been living in chiangmai for over 2 years. This rule seams just came into effort in chiangmai.

If thai government make yellow light equals to red light, this is very rediculous. I hope someone can find the original law about run the yellow light, thanks.

Edited by jack1900
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OP....you are right. Same happened to us. We have been her 15 years and no traffic fines until last 3 months. 

We were confused as to what we did wrong. No speeding or going through red lights. It is as you say....yellow lights. 

But, on last occasion, if we had stopped a truck would have gone into the back of us!  

Good money earner for someone now. 

As a walker, I journey across my fair share of marked crosswalks in Chiang Mai.

Without a traffic light, it can be risky. I notice cars that are zooming towards me rarely let up in speed. You would think a cautionary driver would slightly let up on the gas. Even a tad. I give myself plenty of room of course but one has to wonder about pedestrian rights.

With a traffic light, it seems worse. Next to my hotel, you can push the crosswalk button and the traffic light turns red. And still plenty of bikes and cars running right through the red light. I’ve never seen a cop once. They would make a fortune in fines. I tell others not to cross immediately but wait two seconds to see who is zooming and who is slowing up to stop. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, canthai55 said:

I learned how to cross the street when I was quite young.

Never forgot how - in any country.

Sad to say on my first day in Saigon I appeared to have forgotten for a while.

Out the hotel to the first corner ... nope, not happening. Wander down to the next corner, nope, not happening. Went around the whole block like a total wimp until back to the first corner where luckily some locals had turned up I could use as cover 5555

Figuring out how it's done locally can take a couple of attempts.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Not any country.   Not Vietnams big cities.

+100.  Without a doubt.  

Crossing the road in Hanoi felt like the old video game “Frogger” until I was told to just walk right into the traffic at an even pace and let the cars go around you.

I took this video at night after the traffic had died down quite a bit.

Edited by Airalee

On 11/2/2020 at 5:55 AM, jack1900 said:

I hope someone can find the original law about run the yellow light, thanks.

By Thai law if you have not crossed the line before the light turns yellow you are supposed to stop.

It's kind of a silly law because you can be in a postion where it is impossible to stop when the light turns yellow if you are too close to it.  Also stopping on a yellow light will probably result in you getting rear ended.

• Thanks 1

On 11/3/2020 at 4:21 AM, jonwilly said:

Rules of the road in Thailand are based on UK Highway Code.

I very much doubt UK holds much sway in this, much like anything in the world these days.

Most countries, like Thailand, will be signatory to the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/3/2020 at 12:23 PM, holy cow cm said:

I don't think there is a point system up and running yet, so no big deal. Just pay it. The big problem is really getting hit in the rear-end as Thai have it in their brain to not stop. 

And hope for Satan's sake that that the one Rear ending you has got Insurance, If not make sure that your Insurance is up to date.

good for the police ... they have been talking about enforcing traffic laws and it seems they may be starting .. of course it will be confusing and chaotic .. for the thais .. but for us .. we know the traffic laws  we know what is safe .. we know how to act in traffic .. so kudos to the thais and hopefully it wont turn into a mess