What are the penalties for starting a Thai company purely for property ownership?

5 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:
20 hours ago, alianware said:

That could happen if you prepared your paper wrong since the first time.  Your partner or whoever have to signed the sell share holder document since first time before you even take her/his name to company. 

If you do it later, than that is your fault. 

His ex, the 45% shareholder signed company resignation papers (in case future was required) at time of company formation. She is however, well advised and rescinded her resignation and knows the predicament the foreigner is in with the legality of the nominee situation. He did try and avoid problems but it would appear that it's all gone wrong for him and now he will be left with virtually nothing and the "law" is not on his side.  

To let people sign an undated document is illegal. All those tricks the lawyers and accountants apply to have a property registered in a company so a foreigner "so called" can own it, work until it is challenged in a court of law.

I don't say government will crack down on all this illegal constructions, but if/when they make that decision, they will have a field day for months in a row

38 minutes ago, Susco said:

To let people sign an undated document is illegal. All those tricks the lawyers and accountants apply to have a property registered in a company so a foreigner "so called" can own it, work until it is challenged in a court of law.

I don't say government will crack down on all this illegal constructions, but if/when they make that decision, they will have a field day for months in a row

Exactly! Therefore it's advised to avoid forming a company for holding property if you are a foreigner. Either rent a house/land with all the legalities or buy a condo in own name with all legalities.

2 hours ago, alianware said:

If you don't pay tax and have no company the law says that you are not allow to rent out. You must habe yearly balance sheet !  Ask your lawyer !

Anything regarding tax I ask my accountant, not a lawyer. But please send a link to a law specifically saying NON THAI ARE NOT ALLOWED TO RENT OUT PRIVATE PROPERTY

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pravda said:

Oh really? So you say? 

That's funny because having gone through a condo purchase myself recently a major developer (and a mean majorly major famous) was advertising price of a condo for 5 million, but foreign price was 7 million. 

Then I'd mention my Thai wife is taking a loan the price dropped back to 5 million. 

I have both line chats and email of this. 

Did you ask what was the extra 2m for? Can you post link to the advertisement?

Anyway, when buying second hand condo the status of the current owner has no affect on the price

• Like 1

On 11/5/2020 at 1:13 AM, alianware said:

Nothing is illegal. You set company so that you are able to rent it out to others and you pay tax for that. 

Foreigners who bought condo in his name are not allow to rent it out. Many farangs do it illegally. And don't pay tax for that. So if caught, you will be charged as tax invasion. So, in order to legally do that withouth no problem, you must set up a company. And pay yearly tax for that.

You're talking about something totally different.  The OP is asking about setting up a company to own land.

OP, As stated this is not really legal but done. Be aware things change, example back in the 90's immigration could care less if you overstayed,  early to mid 2000's this all changed and now overstay rules are very strictly enforced. Same with visas they were simple to get any type of visa even B. Now it's getting harder and harder to meet visa requirements.  If you really want to own, but a condo that you can own legally 100%.

On 11/5/2020 at 1:21 PM, soi3eddie said:

Even though the ex signed resignation documents on formation of the company, she is holding the German to ransom unless she gets to keep property or gets a significant payoff. Be warned about going company route.

I would say be warned of giving your girlfriend 45%. Not that she has any real power -she just thinks that she has.

So the German holds 49% of the share allocation and (I assume)100% of the voting rights -then the house cannot be  transferred (to  a new Buyer ) without his authority.

If I were him I would seek legal authority to have the locks changed or some other legal device to have her removed.

In Thai law it may be that she has the right to stay-for certain her boyfriend does not.

Her 45% means nothing. Neither does his 49%.

It is the 100% voting rights that count.

Edited by Delight
added detail
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, ericthai said:

You're talking about something totally different.  The OP is asking about setting up a company to own land.

OP, As stated this is not really legal but done. Be aware things change, example back in the 90's immigration could care less if you overstayed,  early to mid 2000's this all changed and now overstay rules are very strictly enforced. Same with visas they were simple to get any type of visa even B. Now it's getting harder and harder to meet visa requirements.  If you really want to own, but a condo that you can own legally 100%.

Nothing is illegal. There are plenty of investor who build bought land and build houses and building condo to sell it or to rent it. We are talkong about millions $$ they invested. 

You are allow to buy house as company name and rent it out or invest it to sell someday.

This ia absolut legal !!!

If you have no experience investing money ib Thailand don't make any false statement.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/6/2020 at 6:53 AM, LukKrueng said:

Anything regarding tax I ask my accountant, not a lawyer. But please send a link to a law specifically saying NON THAI ARE NOT ALLOWED TO RENT OUT PRIVATE PROPERTY

You don't need to yell. It's called working illegally. A foreign estate agent can. Most owners don't have a work permit. They can get income from a rental property. They must report income for taxation purposes. 

What they cannott do is show properties, hand out keys, meet prospective clients and do other work.

The only way to do it legally for most foreign owners is to make a contract with a real estate agent and pay them a commission of course, very simple. 

7 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

You don't need to yell. It's called working illegally. A foreign estate agent can. Most owners don't have a work permit. They can get income from a rental property. They must report income for taxation purposes. 

What they cannott do is show properties, hand out keys, meet prospective clients and do other work.

The only way to do it legally for most foreign owners is to make a contract with a real estate agent and pay them a commission of course, very simple. 

What are you taking about? Working as an agent? That's got nothing to do with the issue here. 

If you own a condo under your own name - can you rent it out or not? I say can. No law against that. 

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

What are you taking about? Working as an agent? That's got nothing to do with the issue here. 

If you own a condo under your own name - can you rent it out or not? I say can. No law against that. 

Please read what I wrote carefully. You can receive rental income for a property you own

An alien can't do the work that process entails unless the alien has a work permit.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Please read what I wrote carefully. You can receive rental income for a property you own

An alien can't do the work that process entails unless the alien has a work permit.

Please read carefully what i wrote as well. I responded to someone who wrote foreigners are not allowed to rent out their property. Nothing about the work process. And you don't need a work permit to place an ad in the classifieds, nor to show potential renters the property.