What are the penalties for starting a Thai company purely for property ownership?

35 minutes ago, thedemon said:

Can you quote a single case where this has happened?

What part of the title of the thread and my reply are you having trouble comprehending?

Edited by Salerno
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you for the comments so far.

I'm looking for a bit more detail:

Do they impound the house and your belongings?

Do they give you some time to sell up, or do you lose the house?

Do you go to jail?!!!

Does anyone have any experience of someone to whom any of these things have happened?

2 minutes ago, Tapster said:

Does anyone have any experience of someone to whom any of these things have happened?

Don't know anybody personally nor can I remember reading anything about it happening. Every now and then there's reports the government is going to crack down on it ... but there's reports of them "going to do" a lot of things that quietly sink back into whatever brain fart it escaped from.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@xylophone

Thank for the info!!!

????

I did a search before I asked this question, and could find nothing relevant. 

Property seized you say? That doesn't sound good. Are you able to pm me with anonymous details of the circumstances. That would be very helpful.

All the best

7 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Thai law does specifically state that "nominee companies" and the like are illegal and I do have some documents on it somewhere and there have been cases of property being seized, in fact a friend of mine lost his villa here for exactly that reason.

That sucks. Figured there will have been some people falling foul of the law, just no personal experience. Not having money to burn not something I'd be willing to do given how easy it would be for someone <deleted> off for even a trivial reason to drop a dime on you.

@Salerno

29 minutes ago, Salerno said:

That sucks. Figured there will have been some people falling foul of the law, just no personal experience. Not having money to burn not something I'd be willing to do given how easy it would be for someone <deleted> off for even a trivial reason to drop a dime on you.

You are quite right. This has happened to people. There are a lot of desperate and sad mofo's in Thailand.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Salerno said:

Don't think we're talking about condos given owning a condo is perfectly legal (within the foreign owned quota). I believe we're talking about a house.

Some Farangs use a company to buy condos that are in Thai name because often they are cheaper and easier to get. Then they rent them out. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

A German "friend" of mine bought two houses and a truck in "his" company name at a resort town here. He's a 49% shareholder and is stuck outside LOS due to Covid and now his "ex" who is a 45% shareholder in the company is living in one property with her new boyfriend. She knows that she cannot be evicted even if the German came back to Thailand. The other property is empty. The other 6% shareholding is held by a lawyer/nominee. Even if buyer/s could be found for the propreties (totalling over 12 million Baht on purchase) the only way the German guy is going to get anything back is by taking a massive haircut to get himself out of the mess. Even though the ex signed resignation documents on formation of the company, she is holding the German to ransom unless she gets to keep property or gets a significant payoff. Be warned about going company route.

That could happen if you prepared your paper wrong since the first time.  Your partner or whoever have to signed the sell share holder document since first time before you even take her/his name to company. 

If you do it later, than that is your fault. 

Edited by alianware
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Oldie said:

Some Farangs use a company to buy condos that are in Thai name because often they are cheaper and easier to get. Then they rent them out. 

Misconception of the foreigners quota. There is nothing in the condo units papers indicating "foreign" or "local" quota. A foreign owned unit can be sold to Thai and a Thai owned unit can be sold to foreigner.  There is no price deference just because it is owned by Thai or foreigner. 

Every time a foreigner buys a condo unit, the juristic person must calculate % of ownership to verify that at this point in time at least 51% of the building is Thai owned. The document stating this fact must be shown at the land office at time of transferring ownership to a non Thai buyer

• Like 2

18 hours ago, alianware said:

Nothing is illegal. You set company so that you are able to rent it out to others and you pay tax for that. 

Foreigners who bought condo in his name are not allow to rent it out. Many farangs do it illegally. And don't pay tax for that. So if caught, you will be charged as tax invasion. So, in order to legally do that withouth no problem, you must set up a company. And pay yearly tax for that.

Further point; I recall my lawyer talking on this 30+ years back.

He mentioned that there's one 'box' on the company registration form titled something like 'activity/purpose of the company'?

Lawyer continued 'the best answer is 'trading' because it's to some extent vague'.

He continued 'never answer this box with 'to buy a house' or 'manufacturing & marketing':

- To buy a house - a NO NO because obviously this could/would stir investigation because it's already known that this is illegal.

- Manufacturing & marketing - a NO NO because it could/would stir obvious specific questions 'manufacture exactly what', and 'where is the factory'? and ' exactly where are these products being sold'?