Dad stranded in Thai hospital after surviving fall from sixth floor balcony

rooster59

Dad stranded in Thai hospital after surviving fall from sixth floor balcony

By Charles Wade-Palmer

0_JS222437808.jpg

Ian Mitchell-Barnes needs treatment that could cost £10,000 (Image: BPM MEDIA)

Ian 'Barney' Mitchell-Barnes suffered catastrophic injuries when he fell from the balcony and had to have a foot amputated

A British dad has been left stranded in a hospital in Thailand with catastrophic injuries after falling from a sixth-floor balcony.

Ian Mitchell-Barnes, aged 56, broke his pelvis, both arms and both legs in the fall and has had to have one foot amputated.

The dad-of-two from Solihull, West Mids, has been in a Thai hospital for nearly three weeks now and is facing medical bills of at least £10,000.

Full story: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/dad-stranded-thai-hospital-after-22971903

Daily Star: 2020-11-08

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, bobandyson said:

Any Brit who has lived outside of the UK for more than one year would have to wait 6 months before receiving benefits upon returning.

That's from what I've heard.

Thanks bobanddyson.....so he would have been better off arriving in Dover in a rubber dingy ......... he must get the medical treatment surly?

Edited by sanuk711
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Wildliferescue said:

Of course nobody wants to see another person in this situation, and we all hope the story is true and we are not been taken for a ride here. I feel for him too, but why on earth go abroad without insurance? 

For the same reason a majority of tourist drive their motorbike in this country without a helmet (at least in Samui) I never understood  for if someone falls on a motorbike, even at low or medium speed, their head, and their even more fragile face, may well end up planing the road, and a large majority of tourists of all ages do not wear helmets, this is elementary lack of caution multiplied by such numerous individuals, so why would these same people would  think of taking insurance?

• Like 1

A very unfortunate, pitiful and unenviable situation for anyone to fall into.

This is another eye-opener to Thai bashers who came up i arms when the Thai immigration mentioned about travel insurance.

Sometimes (in real, always), it is good to think before speaking.

• Like 2